Spanish flea market finds & other stuff that might be of interest!

The double chamber scoop, I've seen the form before recently on the link posted in my latest entry from the Axe + thread going to the Norwegian blacksmith's site. I have no idea of the purpose.

I've just had a look, I think that is purely a scoop..... but in the shape.... ahem...shape of a lady's behind....😳. Very nice though. 😄. The thing I have is smaller.

AqtyqYk.jpg

I hope Smed Tergje Granada's won't mind me posting an image of his fantastic scoop.
https://m.facebook.com/100063487575199/

9UMQqzX.jpg

Mine is smaller & heavy cast steel, I do see the similarities though.

Last edited:
I've found a very faint makers mark on the Hewing hatchet head but can't make out the joined-up script, anyone? Edit- I've made a thread to maybe catch a wider audience-

eXQFXy7.jpg

Last edited:
I've found a very faint makers mark on the Hewing hatchet head but can't make out the joined-up script, anyone? Edit- I've made a thread to maybe catch a wider audience-

eXQFXy7.jpg
The only one who could make out that script is Steve Tall and he doesn’t come around anymore.

That adze is cool as heck! Love your little broad hatchet, too.

Thanks, wish I knew what the adze was for..... 😄. The hatchet head...😍

The only one who could make out that script is Steve Tall and he doesn’t come around anymore.

I remember Steve Tall & his ability to identify 👍

Below is the Elwell re-handled in Pepper tree wood that actually isn't too bad, it's fine for this handle & has some nice colour variation.
The Leborgne Billhook I've been using to trim branches, with it's light small handle & tip heavy balance it's one heck of a cutter, better than the less tip heavy Elwell.
I've now seen what looks like the same Billhook branded as Leborgne, Rinaldi & Revex.

fEUlbtu.jpg

4EroWED.jpg

maZLYwG.jpg

I didn't try to make an exact copy but wanted it to be fairly close, also didn't have a washer with me so a 5 eurocent coin had to do 🙂

I’ve often drilled coins to make washers.

Yes it's a quick need now thing that can look nice too & often makes a talking point. Let's hope no law enforcement is reading this & we both end up in prison for destroying money.....
😆

Edit- So of course seeing as my middle name is Pedantic I had to look it up & was surprised to find while in the US destroying money on purpose is illegal in the Eurozone it is advised that member states tolerate small amounts destroyed in private!! As always I'm sure the small print is much more complicated!
But basically you're going to prison & I'm not, haha 😜. 😄

Last edited:
Just don’t admit which country’s coinage you’re drilling.

But seriously, I’d be surprised if anyone has been arrested for drilling a coin.

Yep, drilled coins can be a great conversation starter, especially in prison.

“So, whatcha in for?”

“Well, I was making this bigass knife, all perfectly legal til I drilled a coin for the pommel. They never woulda caught me, except I ratted myself out online. Even posted the photographic evidence the prosecutor used to convict me. My bad timing, it was an election year and he wanted to appear “tough on crime”.

But on the bright side, my attorney got all my jaywalking and parking tickets to run concurrently…”

Parker

Thanks, wish I knew what the adze was for..... 😄. The hatchet head...😍

I remember Steve Tall & his ability to identify 👍

Below is the Elwell re-handled in Pepper tree wood that actually isn't too bad, it's fine for this handle & has some nice colour variation.
The Leborgne Billhook I've been using to trim branches, with it's light small handle & tip heavy balance it's one heck of a cutter, better than the less tip heavy Elwell.
I've now seen what looks like the same Billhook branded as Leborgne, Rinaldi & Revex.

fEUlbtu.jpg

4EroWED.jpg

maZLYwG.jpg

I didn't try to make an exact copy but wanted it to be fairly close, also didn't have a washer with me so a 5 eurocent coin had to do 🙂

Really cool stuff man, you have quite the touch.

Wedged & oiled. 😊

3B592B8B-13F2-4D2F-9D13-2205269CD920.jpeg

The V gap at the bottom of the eye is impossible to fill because inside the eye it’s “waisted” smaller equal to the shape of the handle. I’m not bothered enough to make a tiny wooden filler wedge that’d serve no purpose other than cosmetics.

4616D2C8-0147-44A2-AC9E-995B93A3061E.jpeg

I've gone from zero to two Hewing hatchets in a short space of time acquired in very different ways and luckily styled differently too so it’ll be interesting to see how I like them (or dislike!). I’m looking forward to giving them a go.
Not apparent in the image below due to the angle is that the top one is the smallest & lightest. Holding it at the end of the handle feels manageable, holding the lower one at the end of the handle would be tiring very quickly.

9417C587-ED47-44B0-8BAE-E27FDC55067A.jpeg

Not lined up terribly well but it gives a bit of an idea of the different offsets.

0F377DC9-7049-49B5-8FF0-BC897312D49E.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm likin' that Lista

Yes, they make nice hatchets & axes, slip fit handles with large oval eyes.

81083D52-53DB-48E6-A5A8-A507CBC00A8C.jpeg

Leather mask I made & below shows the eye shape and a semi chisel grind I like for carving.

A367E7CD-7AC0-4937-B027-0E5FE94B5108.jpeg

Not the easiest thing to find online, using "vizcaina" as well in a search will help, referring to Biscay a part the Basque region where the pattern is popular.

Last edited:
Back