Spyderco or kershaw?

I actually got the mini thermite in 3cr steel from kershaw, and I was literally cutting vines and it just knicked a piece of metal and now there's a chunk missing. I think I'll try the tenacious. It's less than 40$ at my local Walmart if I remember correctly

Well, you can't really judge Kershaw by their 3cr crap. Like it was said earlier in this thread, Kershaw's import models have gone to crap with all that teflon washer and 3cr nonsense. But I still love many Kershaw US models and 2014 and earlier import models.

Spydies are the knives you hate to look at but love to use!
...I'm gonna have to dissagree,
& I would find it hard to believe that
I would be in the minority of Spydie
Owners, Users, & Collectors who
don't Love the Spyderco look,
just as much as the satisfaction
of use.
There is more to the Spydie Hole
than meets the Eye. ;) B.T.B.

...I'm gonna have to dissagree,
& I would find it hard to believe that
I would be in the minority of Spydie
Owners, Users, & Collectors who
don't Love the Spyderco look,
just as much as the satisfaction
of use.
There is more to the Spydie Hole
than meets the Eye. ;) B.T.B.
I hated how most of them looked until I tried one out. It changed my perspective, now I see the beauty of the designs and they have become a lot more aesthetically pleasing.

Absolutely you should give the Spyderhole a go. It is fantastic, just so efficient and comfortable. And it even reduces the weight of the knife! Pick something fairly cheap and try it, is my advice. The Tenacious is OK, but why not try a made in the USA blade? The Native has a really good rep. Mine hasn't arrived yet, so I can't comment on it myself, but those who have it, generally love it.

I have both Kershaws and Spydercos. I would pick the Spyderco without a doubt. I don't have that model but it looks great.

Well, you can't really judge Kershaw by their 3cr crap. Like it was said earlier in this thread, Kershaw's import models have gone to crap with all that teflon washer and 3cr nonsense. But I still love many Kershaw US models and 2014 and earlier import models.

Just so you know, only like 3 catalogued knives have 3cr and they are all gimmick knives like the Decoy and Cinder.

The only time they make 3cr versions of other knives is if big box stores demand it so they can sell it for cheaper. Think of it as the opposite of a knife dealer ordering a special run of knives in a better steel.

Also, the OP needs to get a Natrix since they are out now.

Ive had great experiences with USA, Taichung and Seki city made Spydercos. All knives 50 to 100 dollars. Ive had bad experience and short life span with 40 dollar range Kershaws. I think for 20 or 30 extra bucks its worth getting a well reputed Spyderco (delica ffg ;)). The Spydie hole makes them a little wider in the pocket, but is awesome in every other way.

this is how I feel the Spyderco made in China are great knives and I will agree that Spyderco
Have a better line but they can't compete with Kershaw when it come to value knives In the 30 to 65 . Kershaw USA line up is really great value better in my opinion that Spyderco China .

Last edited:
Another vote for Spyderco. I also like how most of spydies look (few are quite ugly tho). But looks is very subjective.
China made ones are very good for the price. If they upped the steel they would compete with any other Spyderco factory.

Just so you know, only like 3 catalogued knives have 3cr and they are all gimmick knives like the Decoy and Cinder.

The only time they make 3cr versions of other knives is if big box stores demand it so they can sell it for cheaper. Think of it as the opposite of a knife dealer ordering a special run of knives in a better steel.

Also, the OP needs to get a Natrix since they are out now.
Where are you seeing the Natrix in stock? I've only seen people offering preorders so far.
I've been looking forward to getting my hands on "the greatest knife of all time".

Between the two I would go with Spyderco. If I want something a little less nice to mess up, my go to knife is the Ontario Rat 1 or 2.

Both companies offer fine products. If you want assisted, go with Kershaw. If you want to be holy, go with Spyderco.

I've told my wife that I want my US made Kershaw Zing buried with me when I die.

I have to agree with the comments about Kershaw offering decent US produced knives. I just don't like the Kershaw's SpeedSafe feature very much. I've pulled the spring out of the Echelon that I own. Made a HUGE difference.

I do, however, like the fact that they use Sandvik 14C28N steel. It is my understanding that Sandvik came up with 14C steel because of Kershaw. Is that true?

Where are you seeing the Natrix in stock? I've only seen people offering preorders so far.
I've been looking forward to getting my hands on "the greatest knife of all time".

A couple of people have gotten them in. I believe they all sold out immediately but they are out.

A couple of people have gotten them in. I believe they all sold out immediately but they are out.
Yeah I have the feeling that is going to be a huge seller and a lot of people (myself included) are picking it up mainly as an F U to microtech. :D

Back