Starved Rock II (Photo Heavy)

Bob W is right. I grew up there and lived in the Shawnee until a few years ago. You could easily spend months without seeing all the great spots. The River to River trail crosses through most of these areas and at 145 miles is a great trail to backpack.
Have to check that out. Thanks for the heads up.

Wish I knew more about the area. :(
I live here, and you know more about it than I do, haha.

Awesome pics both quality and subject matter. Makes me want to take a day hike, I need to get out more now that it isn't 110 degrees everyday.. thanks for posting.

I live here, and you know more about it than I do, haha.

What town do you live in, if I may ask?
I'm from Sheridan and went to W.I.U. in Macomb. Much of my family lives in the Eldorado - Harrisburg area.

Awesome pics both quality and subject matter. Makes me want to take a day hike, I need to get out more now that it isn't 110 degrees everyday.. thanks for posting.
Thanks, appreciated.
What town do you live in, if I may ask?
I'm from Sheridan and went to W.I.U. in Macomb. Much of my family lives in the Eldorado - Harrisburg area.
I live just south of Springfield. I was saying my son lived in southern Illinois, he used to live in Benton.

I saw your pic of your pack and was thinking this is about the perfect size for what I have been wanting.

024.png

so I go to the website to see the specs and I see this pic.

0513e.jpg

Now I am really confused... are you part hill giant or did they use a small person for the model in the other pic? :)

Ah, the place in America where the Beatles' Invasion ~really~ took place. :)

And the place where Charlie Birger was hanged. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Birger
Yep, I did know that. There's a famous basketball player from there too, forget his name. Also, the actor John Malkovich, aka "Cyrus the virus" from "Conair" is from there. His sister owns the newspaper there. My ex-wife worked for her. She has a photo taken with her and Malkovich. There are actually several famous people from there: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benton,_Illinois They have a replica of the gallows used to hang Birger at the old jailhouse.

I saw your pic of your pack and was thinking this is about the perfect size for what I have been wanting.

024.png

so I go to the website to see the specs and I see this pic.

0513e.jpg

Now I am really confused... are you part hill giant or did they use a small person for the model in the other pic? :)
I'm 6'2", 265. That's a midget in the photo.

I had heard of the Birger Gang before, in fact there's a family story about a great-uncle who was 'kidnapped' by the Birger Gang.

I learned of the Beatles connection and and saw the gallows replica while visiting the Benton Jail Museum a few years ago.

I read a little about Birger, but it's been a few years back. They said he loved to talk to the school children as they walked by the jailhouse. If I'm not mistaken, I think the first Beatle's song, or perhaps George Harrison's other band, was broadcast in the neighboring town of Benton, called West Frankfort.

Just checking some online sources, it was a station in West Frankfort, Illinois that first broadcast Beatles music in the USA. George Harrison's sister had taken a record to promote her brother's band that was popular in Britain at the time.

As a kid, I attended the Illinois State Forestry Camp in West Frankfort.

Guess I'm not crazy after all. I used to take my son there to get his haircut, and also to watch him play soccer.

Some awesome photos there bro! Looks like a great outing, thanks for sharing! For a few minutes there I was lost in the colors and forgot all about how crappy I feel. What brand of crackers are those? They look delicious.

Some awesome photos there bro! Looks like a great outing, thanks for sharing! For a few minutes there I was lost in the colors and forgot all about how crappy I feel. What brand of crackers are those? They look delicious.

Thanks brother, appreciate it. It was a blast. Breton Multi Grain crackers. I always buy multi-grain, my favs.

You do take a nice picture. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks man, I appreciate it. Hoping to take some more nice photos next weekend.

Thanks brother, appreciate it. It was a blast. Breton Multi Grain crackers. I always buy multi-grain, my favs.

Thanks, I'll have to pick some up for the next outing. I like crackers with a lot of flavor to go with cheese and summer sausage.

Thanks, I'll have to pick some up for the next outing. I like crackers with a lot of flavor to go with cheese and summer sausage.
Hell yes. Same here. Multi grains are where it's at.

Back