Swedish military axes (with lugs)

Dang...that sucks. I'm disappointed. The only reason I took the risk on buying these is because I love the scandi style carpenters axes. That just sucks...I'll try to keep an open mind to see what shows up in the mail, I guess.

Sadly I'm not surprised. Sportsman guide has always, imho, ran on the edge of shifty. Don't know why I thought this would be any different than the last tme I used them. I ordered one myself, should show up tomorrow. Would you mind posting pictures of what you got for us? Thank you Sir.

No problem. I'll shoot some pics tomorrow and post them. I know my report sounds negative, but the heads alone are a pretty good deal for less than $20. I just wish I had known what I was getting up front.

As already stated this vendor has never really appeared to be long on credibility or give-a-crapness. I have not bought anything from them for a lot of years, but decided to go for a couple of these. If decent Swedish made axe heads that are not messed up, I'll be fine with the purchase, but I like lots of different head types and don't need one for anything specific, was just behind on axe buying.

Mine came in yesterday........

I received a reply from Sportsman's Guide today that they actually don't have any axes that resemble the one in the ad

Thought I would point this out for amusement, you believe them now that they are saying they lied in the first place?

I would guess that the container came in and some warehouse dude grabbed one and walked it up to the sales office. The person who did the add probably does not go into the warehouse because it is loud and hot. So just used the one and made an add. Also, the person that answered your inquiry also does not go into the warehouse either, but did not want to perpetuate the situation by having you buy more.

But the small businesses that many of us prefer to support do not have the ability to bid on a container of used axes on a Swedish government auction, so we are stuck with this game if we want to play

No problem. I'll shoot some pics tomorrow and post them. I know my report sounds negative, but the heads alone are a pretty good deal for less than $20. I just wish I had known what I was getting up front.

thank you Sir, greatly appreciated. believe mine showed up at my house today...or so ups shows.......so when i get home i can look at mine and then see what you got and get an idea of how random this lot truly is.

hopefully it will be useful.

Here's what mine looks like. My brother-in-law got the Hults Bruks, but I didn't get a shot of it. Sorry for the crappy iPhone pics. I'll be curious to see what type your is.

IMG_0266.jpg

IMG_0270.jpg

Obviously, I had to try and get some of that awful green paint off before getting a picture, lol.

Here's what mine looks like. My brother-in-law got the Hults Bruks, but I didn't get a shot of it. Sorry for the crappy iPhone pics. I'll be curious to see what type your is.

Obviously, I had to try and get some of that awful green paint off before getting a picture, lol.

Mine is the same as yours pictured. I'll have to post a pic tomorrow.......having trouble using the smart phone to get it done.
F9D0E76E-orig.jpg

DAD03DED-orig.jpg

Any idea what brand or who made these? Only marking I see is a #1 on the head. I haven't taken off the green paint yet though, but I don't think I'll see anything when I do. Mine appears to have red paint under the green, but until I remove it I can't be sure. Head seems okay from what I can tell. The poll has been used hard.....lots of deep hammering marks from work. Edge has minor rolling and chips. Handle seems in good shape, but the head is loose and its gonna have to be replaced. Not a big deal though.

How can we know these are swedish made, other than shifty sportsman guide saying they are? no marks I can find anywhere on mine other than that stamped "1" on the bottom of the poll side. Who's to say these aren't chinese military axes? Actually that would be kinda neat also. I don't know squat about how to tell what's what in axes? All in all a disappointment, but I'll rehang it and clean it up and put it to work. Where ever it started its life, who knows, but it will end its life here in the florida swamps working with me.

Last edited:
I got my two today. One is a HB! :D The other is unmarked and similar to the one above. I'll take some pics too.

What comes in July could be an entirely different lot. Although I am hoping for HB on mine.

JBMonkey in regards to them being shady and these could actually be from china, I know that was a tongue in cheek statement, but my thought on that is they probably would say nothing and substitute other European surplus axes, but less likely to take them from a different continent and not say so. HB is a swedish company, so that is consistent so far. I am a little worried about what I am going to get on the July shipment though. whole different thing is definitely possible with them. on the other hand kind of a fun treasure hunt

edit to add: Yes, I am obsessing on these...

I also took the bait and ordered one of these axes. I was only getting it because of the photo- Hopefully it will be a decent axe when it gets here. My first axe purchase ever and I got sucked into a bait and switch lol.

What comes in July could be an entirely different lot. Although I am hoping for HB on mine.

JBMonkey in regards to them being shady and these could actually be from china, I know that was a tongue in cheek statement, but my thought on that is they probably would say nothing and substitute other European surplus axes, but less likely to take them from a different continent and not say so. HB is a swedish company, so that is consistent so far. I am a little worried about what I am going to get on the July shipment though. whole different thing is definitely possible with them. on the other hand kind of a fun treasure hunt

edit to add: Yes, I am obsessing on these...

Yeah it was....tongue in cheek. Although I wasn't kidding on a chinese military surplus axe being kinda neat...that would be kinda neat.....to me anyways.

Good points thanks for your thoughts.

I've turned the corner on mine...it would have been nice had it been like the picture advertised, but I've played with mine a bit now and it will be fun bringing it back to life and putting it to work. Guess what got my goat was sportsman not putting in the effort to put a closer match of a picture to the axes. Lesson learned and for the low dollars paid I should stop whining, and have fun with it.....and that's exactly what I'm gonna do. Thanks for putting a positive spin on how to look at this.

Here they are:

Blue one is marked HB, the green one isn't marked.

IMG_6436.JPG

IMG_6437.JPG

The HB seems to have the thinner profile and a slight high centerline. It is also much more refined in it's finish. It also has fugly epoxy.
IMG_6438.jpg

The green one's head is very loose.
IMG_6444.jpg

I do wish these were the carpenter's style axes as pictured, but I'm not terribly disappointed. I think these will make great boy's axes. I can't wait to pit them against some vintage American steel.

Take care, Fellas.

ETA: It appears that the HB has never seen use whatsoever.

Thanks for all the info and photos. Sorry if this thread misled anyone.

Does anyone have the actual length and weight data?

Mine has a 24" handle and is 27" overall. The head is 7" long and 4" point to point on the edge. 2 of them had bulky, newer handles, but the one I photographed has a pretty nice thin handle that I really like. I will be using it as a pattern in the future. Too bad the head is loose and someone already sawed in about 1" into the handle beneath the head (I guess they were thinking of re hanging it too). It is marked with the three crowns and KB42. I have read elsewhere that these may have been made by Kimo Bruks, but I have no evidence to support that and I don't really know anything about vintage Finnish manufacturing.

Here's a pic of the profile. It's really nice and thin near the edge and hopefully won't take much grinding to get it sharpened and ready for work.
IMG_0272.jpg

I have no idea on the weight, but I would guess a little over 2 pounds.

Back