Tactical Hawk Comparison Old vs New

Get the combat axe. If you’re planning on putting it to hard use or wet conditions get one with the rubber handle material. The size on that axe is perfect for mounting it anywhere on a vest or belt, and the sheathing system is the best I have seen for a hawk. The head shape is excellent for hooking techniques during close quarters, and that slim spike can go through a helmet.

winkler_ww2_combat_axe.jpg

Mr. Winkler also offers a new breaching axe, that’s more tool orientated. It depends on what your planning on carrying it for.

wkbreach_bg.jpg

Get the combat axe.

Jesus Ed, the more of your posts I read the more it hurts that I don't have my winkler yet! :D

Can't wait for my Stealth to arrive! I have my shoulder holster system in the making, it's turning out quite well! :D

Can't go wrong with the Winkler Combat Axe. Great all around for breaching/defensive uses, an excellent hard use tool. I chose micarta and it handles wet enviroments well however like Ed said, if your planning on being in wet enviroments for extended periods the rubber handles would be the best choice.

20qz391.jpg

Can't go wrong with the Winkler Combat Axe. Great all around for breaching/defensive uses, an excellent hard use tool. I chose micarta and it handles wet enviroments well however like Ed said, if your planning on being in wet enviroments for extended periods the rubber handles would be the best choice.

20qz391.jpg

Would putting a rubber tube from a bike tire over the wooden handle help? You could always remove it to prevent corrosion and wood decay.

Most definately, I do that on some of my flashlights. The micarta if very grippy so I haven't done that to my Axe or knife.

Get the combat axe. If you’re planning on putting it to hard use or wet conditions get one with the rubber handle material. The size on that axe is perfect for mounting it anywhere on a vest or belt, and the sheathing system is the best I have seen for a hawk. The head shape is excellent for hooking techniques during close quarters, and that slim spike can go through a helmet.

winkler_ww2_combat_axe.jpg

Mr. Winkler also offers a new breaching axe, that’s more tool orientated. It depends on what your planning on carrying it for.

wkbreach_bg.jpg

Thanks! I live in Florida, so the rubber may be a good idea. Is it durable? Also, how does the weapon aspect of the combat axe compare to the Sayoc? I think I'll still go with the combat axe since it seems better for multi-purpose uses, but if the handling is a lot less, then I may reconsider.

The Sayocs are designed for fighting being their primary role while the Combat Axes are more of a balance but geared toward breaching duties.

I'd talk to Daniel about which tool and options would best suit your needs. He's very helpful and patient and will field whatever questions you may have.

The Sayocs are designed for fighting being their primary role while the Combat Axes are more of a balance but geared toward breaching duties.

I'd talk to Daniel about which tool and options would best suit your needs. He's very helpful and patient and will field whatever questions you may have.

I've been emailing him, great guy. Waiting on a reply, but it's the weekend so I'm sure he's got other things going on. My uses realistically are mainly use on a long for defensive training, and keeping it in my car in case of an emergency where a nearly indestructible tomahawk would be useful. ;) Ideally though I want a tomahawk that can fight well, but also fit as an urban and wilderness survival tool I.E anything from breaching and otherwise opening up areas I couldn't otherwise get, to chopping firewood and small trees.

I see 3 options. Combat axe, breaching axe and camp axe. They are all very similar except for the a single feature on each of them.
Combat axe: Spike on the back, which will make it outperform the others in combat by far.
Breaching axe: Has this crow bar like thing on the back, for breaking stuff open, but it won't penetrate well.
Camp axe: Has a hammer pol on the back, which adds for the most versatility in a bushcraft/survival situation imo. If you have another self def weapon that is.

But for your need, I'd go combat axe. The spike will do you good in self def, and the front is well just a regular axe.

Cheers.

My uses realistically are mainly use on a long for defensive training, and keeping it in my car in case of an emergency where a nearly indestructible tomahawk would be useful. ;) Ideally though I want a tomahawk that can fight well, but also fit as an urban and wilderness survival tool I.E anything from breaching and otherwise opening up areas I couldn't otherwise get, to chopping firewood and small trees.
If I can throw my recommendation in for those uses I would go with a Vec hawk. They imo are superior weapons do to the length and light weight. 1 ounce per inch. The handle is indestructible and the trailhawk head has proven to be the best in the wilderness too. Now if you are going to be carrying in some shoulder harness system concealed under a coat obviously that rules out these but otherwise I think they are top of the line and well thought out.

[youtube]iVftRuu4SUA&list[/youtube]

Have to agree with the full-tang. :p Honestly those look like glorified cold steel hawks. Also, replacing polymer handles in an emergency=/= easy,

Agreed, they also reminded me of my CS trail hawk. Which is a decent hawk I suppose, the fitting of the head on the stock handle just sucks majorly. And why do they have that tiny allan screw in there? :S

Those are trail hawk heads. Vec can put a handle on any head. They have an endo/exo skeleton design and imo are stronger than an all steel hawk as it won't bend.
001-2.jpg

Back