1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

tell if my canteen cup is stainless or alluminum

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gear, Survival Equipment & More' started by ccr, May 25, 2010.

1. ccr

ccr

Nov 8, 2008
    Hey guys. I bought a canteen cup from my local surplus/camp store. I know they are made in aluminum and stainless steel and was wondering how to tell which mine is. they said it was stainless but im not sure if they actually knew or not. it was ten bucks which seems about where the stainless ones are in price but that place has been known to be a bit pricey. it says us 91 pac fab on it. any help??? thanks guys.

2. LMT66

LMT66 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 18, 2008
    Magnet?

3. dttomcat

dttomcat

Apr 14, 2007
    Magnet.

4. efahl

efahl

Jan 16, 2010
    Magnetism depends on the stainless, some stainless alloys are magnetic, some are not. I tell by color. Stainless is gray to yellowish, and aluminum alloys are usually silver white. Stainless will also be much harder, won't scratch deeply but aluminum is quite soft (if it's not anodized) and will scratch readily.

5. ccr

ccr

Nov 8, 2008
    i feel so dumb i didnt even think of a magnet. thanks guys. anypne know the weight of a stainless one, i dont have access to a magnet now.

6. theamazingdrew

theamazingdrew

Nov 18, 2009
    headphones have magnets in them.

7. dougo83

dougo83

Feb 28, 2008
    Magnets will be hit or miss as good stainless is non-magnetic, IIRC. Weight would also be tough as a high-quality stainless could be as light as aluminum or negligibly close.

8. mistwalker

mistwalker Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 22, 2007
    Aluminim would cut and scratch really easy compared to the stainless.

9. fujita yuji

fujita yuji

Jul 12, 2008
    +1 for mistwalker.

aluminum is colder compared to stainless but the difference is not very significant.
    cold feeling more depends on the shape or thickness rather than the material property.

this happens because aluminum transfers heat more easily.

10. bladefixation2

bladefixation2

Mar 28, 2004
    Electrical conductivity / resistance

Anodised aluminium is an electrical insulator but bare stainless will readily conduct electricity.

Of course that doesnt work if you have a raw unanodised aluminium or a laquered stainless.

You should be able to tell from looking at it, most stainless cookware I've seen is mirror finish, but anodised aluminium is usually coloured and not so shiny

Post a photo?

11. Bumppo

Bumppo

Jan 27, 2006
    If you don't have a magnet there, see if you can borrow a compass.

12. SouthernCross

SouthernCross

Jun 25, 2008
    How shiny is it?

Since Aluminium is a hell of a lot more reactive than Stainless steel (i.e. it will form a tightly adhered coating of aluminium oxide), it will be duller in colour than Stainless steel :thumbup:

As has already been mentioned, Aluminium is also softer than Stainless steel.

Kind regards
    Mick

13. Diomedes Industries

Diomedes Industries KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 19, 2007
    Aluminum would anodize and stainless would not. So of it has any parts that are colored, it is aluminum.

TF

14. squishware

squishware

Jun 8, 2009
    Try to scratch it with something aluminum.

15. BackWoodsMaineiac

BackWoodsMaineiac

May 25, 2010
    put nitric acid on it, stainless will not react aluminum will bubble green. you should be able to go to any jewelry store that buys gold and they should have some thats what they use to test with.

16. ccr

ccr

Nov 8, 2008
    you guys are awesome. a magnet wouldnt stick, but from what you all say a magnet doesnt stick to all stainless. i can scratch the very surface with a knife tip a little. hears some pics, any thoughts im still not sure.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. unky_gumbi

unky_gumbi

Aug 28, 2009
    That looks like stainless to me, aluminum that thin would be very weak. Stainless will have more of a ring to it when hit where aluminum will have a duller sound

18. Ultraman

Ultraman

Oct 28, 2005
    A lot of good answers..this might sound stupid, but sometimes there are markings that say the material.
    stainless: denser/heavier, less reactive to acids/bases, not as heat conductive, harder, usually more expensive, magnetic for most part, sparks under grinder.

This link might be helpful.

Personally, I think I'd be able to tell by its weight or density.

19. tek77

tek77 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 9, 2009
    according to canteenshop, it's Heavy Gauge Stainless Steel.
    http://www.canteenshop.com/id31.html
    Why does it matter? I mean except durability, is there anything else of concern?
    Mine says us 92 pac fab on it....it looks identical with yours and with the canteenshop one, but after reading the info on the link posted by Ultraman (thx, btw) I have my doubts too....

Last edited: May 26, 2010
  20. pict

pict

Jan 7, 2003
    OOO! Melting point!

That looks like a stainless cup to me.

Mac