"The Grey" - Survival Movie 2012

Yeah just like Day after Tomorrow you know its gonna be CGI heavy, and the glass knuckles was pretty dumb but it will probably have a few good clips of movie 'survival', which will make it worth watching...when it hits HBO:D It'll just be nice to have another plane crash survival movie to take the place of the so overplayed Alive. If any of you spend $10 to see it in a theater let me know how much it was actually worth

I cant watch the trailer, but if Liam uses his dreadful American accent in this movie, I refuse to watch it.

Looks like a great alternative to the normal, "romantic comedy" drivel or the almost as bad "retired covert-op's field-agent" being double-crossed theme....

Besides, it'll have some fun sensationalism, maybe spark some "survival gear" sales and help out the prepared-ness industry. All big plusses in my book.

glass knuckles and bungy jumping fantastic

I usually like LN but this looks like carp

glass knuckles and bungy jumping fantastic

I usually like LN but this looks like carp

I feel the same way. It looks like a Hollyweird version of a survival movie made just for box office dollars. I like Neeson, but his last few movies since his wife was killed have been lousy. It's like he lost his guidance. Taken was not to believable, The A Team was a poor attempt and redoing a silly 80's action show, and After Life was weird. But I did enjoy Christina Ricci sauntering around in the buff.

The best survival movie I think was an old one with Robert Ryan, called Inferno. A guy breaks his leg in the desert, and his wife and her boyfriend leave him there to die. If I recall right, they set it up for him to have an accident. Ryan has a stag handle pocket knife and few odds and ends, and makes it. Good movie.

Carl.

Last edited:
LOL It's pure "hollywierd" entertainment.

Re: Farley Mowatt's book:
Ethologist Dr. Valerius Geist of the University of Calgary Alberta, who had himself experienced aggressive behaviour from wolves in his home on Vancouver Island and was heavily involved in investigating the Kenton Joel Carnegie case, called Mowat's book "..a brilliant, literary prank..".[4]

L. David Mech, an internationally recognized wolf expert who has researched wolves since 1958 in places such as Minnesota, Canada, Italy, Alaska, Yellowstone National Park, and on Isle Royale, stated that Mowat is no scientist and that in all his studies, he had never encountered a wolf pack which primarily subsisted on small prey as shown in Mowat's book.[9] In his 1970 publication The Wolf: The Ecology and Behavior of an Endangered Species he wrote;

"Whereas the other books and articles were based strictly on facts and the experiences of the author, Mowat’s seems to be basically fiction founded somewhat on facts. It appears to have been compounded by his own limited adventures with wild wolves plus a generous quantity of unacknowledged experiences of other authors; a certain amount of imagination and embellishment probably completed the formula for this book."[10]

— L. David Mech, University of Minnesota

Not a true survival movie but if any of you have netflix check out a movie called the wildernes.

Last edited:
I just went to it and really enjoyed it.
Not alot of dull moments.
The wolves are quite intense.
Liam Neeson is a stud.
The scenery is really great.
I liked it.It's not a PBS special about wolves.
...IT'S A MOVIE !!!!!

Looks to be great entertainment. I guess if you want something else, go to another movie. Or better yet, make your own. Then let us critique.

I just went to it and really enjoyed it.
Not alot of dull moments.
The wolves are quite intense.
Liam Neeson is a stud.
The scenery is really great.
I liked it.It's not a PBS special about wolves.
...IT'S A MOVIE !!!!!

I'll agree that the movie was great. I went to it and really enjoyed it...even though it wasn't entirely realistic. It was still good fun.

Did anyone else notice that the knife Liam Neeson used was the SOG Seal Revolver?

-Jeremy

I saw it with son of Beanbag on Saturday.
We thought it was only o.k.
It was more about the will to survive rather than getting into skills very much.
I'm not going to spoil it for anyone, so I'll just say the ending, like in a lot of movies unfortunately, was weak.
I don't recommend it.

I didn't mind the end so much, but there were a few hugely implausible events that I couldn't really overlook. Just made the whole thing silly to me.

Saw it Friday and I found it entertaining and fairly intense, especially the plane crash and final scene. Worth the money to watch it on the big screen I thought. My girlfriend was shook up at the end as was most of the audience as far as I could tell.

The wolf behavior was unrealistic, the choices of the group were interesting and probably well founded for the sheer number of lost people who search for a way to find civilization. The hard part for me to get past was the sensationalism around the wolf behavior, and the only in Hollywood moments which were to farfetched to be realistic. It was entertaining, moved at a good pace, with no dull moments. Left many of the audience members, including my wife, disturbed, which is a success in the fact that it provokes thought. I am happy that I went, and yes it was worth the price.

It may do for Yellowstone and other areas inhabitated by wolves, what Jaws did for the Ocean, in terms of unrealistic fear.

CC U pegged it, disturbed was the look on the face of many of the people afterwards, total silence on the walk out of the theater.

Back