The idiot's guide to the AR-15 rifle (or an idiot building one)

magpul od green items,spike tactical buffer & spring,timberwolf lpk,magpul single sling ring/end plate. I have my eye on a Colt or DD carbine upper
IMG_1245.jpg

Hey can anyone recommend a good wrench for removing a very well-staked castle nut from my receiver extension that won't break the bank? This is going to hopefully be a one-time deal. if it has a fitting for tightening a rifle buffer tube, even better. Gracias!

Hey can anyone recommend a good wrench for removing a very well-staked castle nut from my receiver extension that won't break the bank? This is going to hopefully be a one-time deal. if it has a fitting for tightening a rifle buffer tube, even better. Gracias!

You can use a steel punch and a hammer to tap the staking back out of the way. That will make turning the castle nut a lot easier.

discovered the wonders of duracoat with my shotgun. if i had an HVLP sprayer i'd go to town on all my guns. those disposable cans are convenient, though.

I used Krylon on a few. When they wear after use, or I want to change the pattern colors for the season it is an easy application. Not expensive, and I'm not worried about making it look all cool, pretty and digitalized. I'm breaking up the outline. That's what's fun is using vegetation as stencils,tweaking, etc...

I want to try the Aervoe paints... Heard they are better than Krylon.

I used Krylon on a few. When they wear after use, or I want to change the pattern colors for the season it is an easy application. Not expensive, and I'm not worried about making it look all cool, pretty and digitalized. I'm breaking up the outline. That's what's fun is using vegetation as stencils,tweaking, etc...

I want to try the Aervoe paints... Heard they are better than Krylon.

Amen. Krylon is good stuff.

I am sometimes tempted to try something other than Krylon, but it works so well and it is available at local big box stores. Nothing else is anywhere near as easy to get my hands on.

TTD: That Spike's wrench rocked! Worked like a charm. I used the included paracord to lash a 1" dia. cheater bar to the wrench and the castle nut came off like buttah. Of course I mangled my rear detent spring (a $2 part), but I made an omlette out of those broken eggs and also ordered olive drab MOE handguard and grip to amortize the shipping. But nothing's ever easy and I'm now dealing with a Troy M6A4 rear sling mount (pretty much a single point that goes between butstock and receiver) that's 0.27 inch thick and a buffer tube spacer that's included with it that's only 0.19 inch thick (rattles around inside the stock when assembled). I'm trying to remedy that issue right now. If I knew that the Sully Stock was going to be such an overbuilt beast before I ordered it, I would've asked for the optional quick disconnect sling mounts installed in the stock.

I'm planning on a 16" flattop, 1in9 twist chrome lined, M4 feedramp with at least one rail for my light.

Took me over a month of research to decide on my lower so might be awhile for the upper.

Parts kit is Del-ton as well. From all I've read, Del-Ton has great products and service so I went with them. More for the quality than the low prices.

I went with a DPMS 16" A3 (no handle), 1-in-9, M4, feedramp. Excellent choice IMO. :thumbup:

just picked up a lightly used upper. 16" BCM pencil barrel, 1:7, chrome lined with a flat top reciever and fixed front sight, with MOE handguards in FDE.

i'll need to get a new BCG and CH after the new year. needs a new flash hider because i don't really like the A2 it's wearing now.

something else to delay the 5.45 middy upper i want... but i'm not complaining.

Back