The idiot's guide to the AR-15 rifle (or an idiot building one)

Does anyone here shoot Nose to Charging Handle? Debating whether I should set up my stock this way, or give myself a 1" gap. Just holding the carbine this way felt pretty good, and probably gives a nice, consistent cheek weld, but do I want that charging handle kicking back right into my schnozz? Something to think about...

Does anyone here shoot Nose to Charging Handle? Debating whether I should set up my stock this way, or give myself a 1" gap. Just holding the carbine this way felt pretty good, and probably gives a nice, consistent cheek weld, but do I want that charging handle kicking back right into my schnozz? Something to think about...

YES!

the rifle is not only seated on your shoulder, but the recoil on a 5.56 carbine is mild.

you can take it off your shoulder and put the buttstock on your nose and it won't bust your nose or hurt you... unless you have "other issues".

as you noted, it makes for a nice, consistent cheekweld and sight picture. i usually run the stock 1 click out from fully collapsed. (well, ok, i'm actually shooting right handed from the left shoulder most of the time now, due to vision problems in my formerly dominant eye... so i'm all twisted around and jacked up and running the stock fully collapsed. if your dominant eye is working normally, that shouldn't be an issue)

now, i've heard that the 9mm versions have more recoil because they're direct blowback.

also, a heavier buffer and/or bolt carrier will reduce felt recoil. i.e. H or H2 buffer, or heavier, M16 bolt carrier instead of the cut away AR carrier. (legal as long as you don't have other select fire parts lurking in the gun)

but i frequently see people shooting with their head at the rear of the stock. they';re very off balance and from the side they look like a 7. i can only conclude that there's a lack of training there. probably a lack of hearing protection too.

I can assure you that I have plenty of training by some of the best in the industry. I don't shoot nose to charging handle. That is a great trick for the untrained so they can start building some kind of consistency. You were correct in mentioning consistency but that eventually becomes specific to the individual shooter.

From the sounds of it you are probably one of those that swear you have to use only the tip of the finger on the trigger? That is a myth as well. Individual grip may not allow that to be an accurate technique.

Agreed N2CH (or close) is the way to go. The first thing a lot of people do is pull the stock all the way out to give them a bladed stance. That comes from hunting rifles and shotguns with long lengths of pull. Shortening that stock, burying it into the shoulder pocket and squaring up with the target will give you the most control over the gun. Don't worry about nose slap. With that said, I run my stock out 1 position from fully shortened.

Here is a picture of my .223 predator slayer. It is a proven killer to 450 yards. Maybe later this winter I will have a chance to stretch it out a little further. With my setup I don't think putting a nose on the charging handle would be effective. I have a consistent spot to place my cheek on the stock and can easily go from prone to standing without changing my body position.

Noveske barrel, geiselle 2 stage trigger, YHM can, nightforce 2.5-10x32 scope. I use the 77gr matchkings for tiny little groups on paper and consistent kills on the little critters.

DSC00229.jpg

Partisan you have some badass toys man. Agreed, pretty hard to run N2CH with most magnified optics.

ditto on nose to charging handle. i run my stock one click from fully collapsed too (although it's permanently pinned that way - nj law bs).

partisan1911 - nice rig, man. i see a larue rail and scope mount there. that's another company with a no bs warranty.

He certainly is setting a very high bar. The Multitasker TUBE is one of the slickest pieces of gear that I have written about yet: http://jerkingthetrigger.wordpress.com/2010/11/04/review-multitasker-tube/

The TUBE + multi-tool = mobile armorer's kit.

I can't believe I've never seen or heard of that tool before! That's got to be one of the best AR field kits for tuning, cleaning, keeping your bolt free of carbon on a direct gas system. I only wish I would of had one when I was still active in the Marine Corps!!! That was a GREAT write up on the Multitasker TUBE MD, nice work!

Here is a picture of my .223 predator slayer. It is a proven killer to 450 yards. Maybe later this winter I will have a chance to stretch it out a little further. With my setup I don't think putting a nose on the charging handle would be effective. I have a consistent spot to place my cheek on the stock and can easily go from prone to standing without changing my body position.

Noveske barrel, geiselle 2 stage trigger, YHM can, nightforce 2.5-10x32 scope. I use the 77gr matchkings for tiny little groups on paper and consistent kills on the little critters.

DSC00229.jpg

Partisan you've got a great setup there!!! With that can and the optic your running you should be able to knock off any target within 500 yards and not leave a trace. That's what I love about the M-16 / M-4 they are so deadly accurate especially when your taught to shoot it by the best in the world. Now if the military would only get their head on right and move on up to the 6.8mm, gas piston set up, like they keep saying they are it would be untouchable.

I have a couple knives but I am really a gun nut so I dump a lot of my time and money into it. I try to get one a year to keep it interesting. Of course I can't keep them all in one spot so my relatives always have something of mine in case I come for a visit.

I am not a big fan of the 6.8 caliber. There are other fine cartridges than run on a semi-auto platform. Imagine using a simple .243 with 115 gr bullets. Plenty of knockdown out to 1000yds and can run in bolt action and semi-auto guns. Better b.c., less recoil than the .30 calibers, etc. Everyone in the army could run them to include our snipers. Of course they would still need the 338L and .50 for the longer range stuff.

Agreed N2CH (or close) is the way to go. The first thing a lot of people do is pull the stock all the way out to give them a bladed stance. That comes from hunting rifles and shotguns with long lengths of pull. Shortening that stock, burying it into the shoulder pocket and squaring up with the target will give you the most control over the gun. Don't worry about nose slap. With that said, I run my stock out 1 position from fully shortened.

I pull my stock out 2 clicks, nose close to the charging handle, good cheek weld, no chicken wing & I'm good to go. I'm loving my Magpul CTR stock. I had to build my AR a little at the time. But it's worth it to get the extras. Makes it more "user friendly" and looks awesome. And for those who don't know... do yourself a favor and replace the standard charging handle latch with some sort of tactical charging handle latch... your knuckles will thank you for it.

141.jpg

Here we go, a perfectly good Colt MT6400C, with AWB-compliant ugly pinned compensator and pinned "collapsible" stock...

IMG_5147.jpg

And here it is defiled by me by hacking off the side-slung front sling mount, installing MOE handguard, IWC front sling mount, Troy fixed rear BUIS, MOE grip, Troy rear sling mount, and Sully Stock.

colt12-1-10.jpg

Immediate plans include getting QD sling mounts installed directly in the stock and removing the Troy rear sling mount. Short range plans include mounting a Surfire G2 LED light on the front, and an enhanced trigger guard. Long term plans include installing an Aimpoint H-1 or EOTech EXPS.

I can't believe I've never seen or heard of that tool before! That's got to be one of the best AR field kits for tuning, cleaning, keeping your bolt free of carbon on a direct gas system. I only wish I would of had one when I was still active in the Marine Corps!!! That was a GREAT write up on the Multitasker TUBE MD, nice work!

Thank you for the kind words. I have some more Multitasker Tools in bound for review. I am stoked.

Here we go, a perfectly good Colt MT6400C, with AWB-compliant ugly pinned compensator and pinned "collapsible" stock...

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd48/mbohms/IMG_5147.jpg

And here it is defiled by me by hacking off the side-slung front sling mount, installing MOE handguard, IWC front sling mount, Troy fixed rear BUIS, MOE grip, Troy rear sling mount, and Sully Stock.

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd48/mbohms/colt12-1-10.jpg

Immediate plans include getting QD sling mounts installed directly in the stock and removing the Troy rear sling mount. Short range plans include mounting a Surfire G2 LED light on the front, and an enhanced trigger guard. Long term plans include installing an Aimpoint H-1 or EOTech EXPS.

Nice carbine Wintermute. Where ever did you get that awesome IWC sling mount. ;)

What is IWC? Industrial Welfare ComplexInternational Whaling Commission?

The multi-tasker looks to be a well built tool.

nice! i'm in a awb state too but doesn't mean we can't pimp our ar :D i have a pws fsc556 compensator on my 2nd ar.

jay_fsc556_03.jpg

jay_fsc556_04.jpg

batfe considers it a non flash suppressing device but videos show it works pretty well compared to vortex and other flash suppressors.

I can assure you that I have plenty of training by some of the best in the industry. I don't shoot nose to charging handle. That is a great trick for the untrained so they can start building some kind of consistency. You were correct in mentioning consistency but that eventually becomes specific to the individual shooter.

From the sounds of it you are probably one of those that swear you have to use only the tip of the finger on the trigger? That is a myth as well. Individual grip may not allow that to be an accurate technique.

nooo, i was referring to people who have their head floating back by the buttplate. sorry, i can't find a good pic of what i mean right now.

but with IRON sights, the further away you have your eye from the rear aperture, the smaller it gets and the harder it becomes to find the front sight thru it. i grew up shooting with globe sights, so fine tuning of the distance from the rear sight will affect the perceived size of the aperture and not seeing any crescent of light around the front sight globe is a good thing.

however, on the HKs i put my cheek against the hump at the front of the stock/back of the receiver, on the AK i put my cheek in the saddle behind the receiver, and on the AR i shoot nose to the charging handle. all three positions give consistent cheekwelds on these rifles.

on some other rifles with conventional stocks i sometimes shoot nose to thumb, again, it's a reference point.

doesn't work on some stocks or all rifles tho.

if you like being further back, and you're trained, and it works for you, that's fine. carry on.

however just because YOU are trained and keep your face back doesn't mean that everyone who keeps their face back is trained. i was simply making a generalization that many of the people who don't put their head forward are not trained.

as for finger position on the trigger, whatever works. on some guns i use the pad, on some guns i use the joint. all depends on the gun, action type, grip size and shape, and other variables. for example, what works on a 1911 with a #4 SA trigger may not work on a DAO snubbie.

now, if you're shooting with a red dot, eye relief doesn't matter, all you need to do is put the dot on target. sight alignment is no longer a problem.

DSC00229.jpg

Nice gun. I'd love to be able to get a can. How you like that trigger? I have a RRA 2 stage that's tuned by Bill Springfield. I have been wanting to try what you've got.

The trigger is perfect, best I ever felt. I have also shot some Rock River that were almost comparable. I would say the edge goes to a tuned Rock River just due to price.

Back