Thoughts On a BK9 Modification

Moosez45

Custom Antlers, Factory Knives...
I been really checking out my BK9 lately, and I was thinking about doing some work to it. I'm not a collector, I'm a user, so here's what I was thinking;

Micarta handles-done it
Strip it
Take the thumb ramp off
Jimp it
Patina
Wrap in leather (El Ultimo Hombre, soon)
Slap a razor's edge on it
Post pics
Then use it hard

Whatchoo think of my plan?

Moose

i think you need to mount a laser guide and flashlight on it too

Bladite

Would like to see that. Kinda like the project I've been working on with my RD9 minus the jimping.
Before: Custom by Justin. Satin finish with a sharpened swedge.
downsized_1216082235.jpg

Now: Bowie-fied the swedge, removed the thumb ramp and crusher pommel.
PICT0274.jpg

Post pics please. Love personalized blades.

Sounds like a great plan, though I'd personally just take the ramp off and not bother with jimping - but that's all a matter of opinion of course. Also a convex grind is the way to go for large choppers :thumbup:

good plan, i would leave the jimping off though. It's not razor sharp already?
:D

i think you need to mount a laser guide and flashlight on it too

Bladite

Well, I was going to suggest fuzzy dice and a set of curb feelers for that true pimped out look, but I think Bladite's advice is more practical. :D

What are you doing with the leather, and how is it connected to the last man?

I think you should mount a BK2 to it. Like how a rifle has a bayonet, your BK9 can have a similarly attached BK2.

And yes, that was a joke. Although... Gotta go.

I think you should mount a BK2 to it. Like how a rifle has a bayonet, your BK9 can have a similarly attached BK2.

I don't know, man. If Chupacabra attacks and manages to get your knife, then Chupacabra's got both your knives. This set-up might be okay if you EDC a grenade in your boot.

I don't know, man. If Chupacabra attacks and manages to get your knife, then Chupacabra's got both your knives. This set-up might be okay if you EDC a grenade in your boot.

Yeah but I will still have my remora-eskabar-tactool, so it's good.

When I wrote my comment, I really wanted to whip up one of those YO DAWG motivational pics with Xzibit.

PATINA, what do you use? Please post pics of process.
Maybe wood scales with patina(old world look).

French's yellow mustard and a basting brush, it gives it a tiger strip look, my ESKy sports it right now. Micarta handles on that big guy, love those handles.

Moose

Well, I was going to suggest fuzzy dice and a set of curb feelers for that true pimped out look

:D:D good thing I wasn't drinking coffee :D:D

I like all the idea's but would also add a thought on a choil??

I'd believe the ramp would get in the way for battoning... flatten the spine for sure..

I stumbled on this strategy for forced patina, have posted about it, and have seen others report similar results. One word. Mango. It give a rich patina with some multi-colored hues thrown in. Here's a Case peanut onto which I forced a patina with mango.

MangoPatina.jpg

yes on the no thumb ramp but no on the jimping.

just a thought while you're at it...grind down the blade to look like a bk-10...oh, the naughty things i think of late at night when i can't sleep.

Back