Tinker & Classic SD Combo vs Super Tinker

Tinker & Classic SD vs Super Tinker?

• Tinker & Classic SD

Votes: 11 52.4%
  • Super Tinker

Votes: 10 47.6%

• Total voters
I prefer carrying Tinker and Classic SD over my Super Tinker. The Tinker is lighter and the Classic SD gives me the nail file and I actually prefer the 58mm scissors over the 91mm scissors. Which would you choose and why?

I cary a Hiker and the Classic. I have a Super Tinker, but the Hiker is touch slimmer and it has the most comfortable grip for my hands of just about any folder period... I basically need to go up to a Buck 110 to beat it by any measurable amount.

About the only thing I really use the scisors for is emergency nail and hang-nail surgery, which in the dry Canadian winters is a pretty legitimate concern. For a while I tried just keeping a nail clipper on my keys, but they kept falling apart, so swapped the clipper out for a Classic. I'd be pretty interested to swap the classic for a Rambler if I ever find a good deal on one.

Huntsman, Mini Champ, and Hercules is my current every day SAK edc.
Reasons:
Because I can and y not?
The Hercules' pliers are used daily when making my loose leaf tea.

Historical (2000 to 2020) SAK EDC: Huntsman and Signature. (Huntsman went AWOL)
2000 to 2023: Signature and Evo Grip 14.
Reason: They did what I needed.
In early 2023 I upgraded from the Signature to a red Cellidor Mini Champ.
Mid 2023 I received a Year of the Ox Huntsman, swapping it in and giving the E.G. 14 sone time off. I actually use the multi-purpose package hook (not for intended purpose) every so often. Evo Grip 14 and Hercules lack that tool. ☹️🥺

While I voted Tinker+Classic, I'd prefer Tinker Small+Alox Minichamp, or just the Tinker Small. Scissors are a finesse tool I just don't need with 1-2 actual blades already on board. The Minichamp's least useful tool for me is the scissors. As an aging fart I have far greater need of the "pick 'n' pull" blade and the pill counter/pill crusher/"coke spoon." The scissors are just dead weight to me. I'd only consider a Super Tinker if the scissors were replaced with the pliers. Otherwise there's no justifying the added cost or bulk.

Scissors are a finesse tool
As an aging fart

You might change your mind if you start losing dexterity. Scissors can be a lot safer to use.

The scissors are just dead weight to me.

Off the top of my head, the three most common things I use them for are trimming my finger nails, trimming my hairs, and trimming loose threads on my clothes.

Actually that's probably not true. I think I probably use them way more for opening small things. I also use them a lot to cut open those plastic ring things for pop cans. I could use my knife for that but I just enjoy using my scissors more. The other day I used them to cut and trim a bunch of vinyl sheet flooring.

Small SAK Scissors
Small SAK Scissors
Small SAK Scissors
Small SAK Scissors
Small SAK Scissors

That's a tongue twister. I keep saying "smack".

I love the tinker in spirit, but the frustration on needing a #2 Phillips and having one, but it’s the back tool on the tinker and it won’t fit the application, is very real,

I prefer the Pioneer + classic or Waiter + classic combo. I think it’s generally a winner. The exception being the 2 layer compact, which I could take on its own.

Tinker + Jetsetter is another combo to consider because with the Jetsetter you also get a small philips driver for small electronics in addition to the scissors.
Super Tinker + Rally is another good combo if you want bigger scissors but you still want a nail file and that additional small phillips driver.

I love the tinker in spirit, but the frustration on needing a #2 Phillips and having one, but it’s the back tool on the tinker and it won’t fit the application, is very real,
A lot of the times the tip of the can opener will do the job of an inline phillips driver. It's just not as sturdy, which can be an issue on stubborn screws. The overbend feature on the back phillips might help in rare cases also. The Tinker Small has a slightly shorter body than a regular Tinker but it still has the same length phillips driver, so it can also give you a few extra millimeters of room to work with.

Tinker and classic. The smaller scissors on the 58mm line have always seemed more useful to me than the ones on the 91mm models. Plus you get the nail file

I carry a 3- or 4-layer 91mm SAK (usually a Climber or Explorer) and an Executive in my jeans watch pocket.

I'd go with the classic/tinker combo. I like to break up the tool set, and I don't use a tinker, my go-to augmentation of the my daily classic is my old Wenger SI. The large and small SAK's give me a tool versatility that one large SAK won't.

Tinker + Jetsetter is another combo to consider because with the Jetsetter you also get a small philips driver for small electronics in addition to the scissors.
Super Tinker + Rally is another good combo if you want bigger scissors but you still want a nail file and that additional small phillips driver.

A lot of the times the tip of the can opener will do the job of an inline phillips driver. It's just not as sturdy, which can be an issue on stubborn screws. The overbend feature on the back phillips might help in rare cases also. The Tinker Small has a slightly shorter body than a regular Tinker but it still has the same length phillips driver, so it can also give you a few extra millimeters of room to work with.

The screw driver on the can opener is an engineering marvel. The amount of times I end up using that, even with a bit driver or set of screw drivers handy is notable. Just yesterday I was performing some minor repairs on a fishing reel, and despite having multiple other options, the can opener was by far the best fit.

And having carried nothing but the Farmer for about 15 years I can firmly attest, the can opener will work on an astounding number of phillips screws. And while I have marred up the phillips on the back of a Tinker (minor damage, not stripped) I have never managed to damage the can opener bit in the least.

The classic is small enough to just toss on your key ring anyway regardless of which larger model you carry. I practice redundancy with my SAKs not on purpose but because I like so many different modes and enjoy having them with me.

I carry a Swiss tool spirit on my belt everyday without fail for years, if I’m wearing pants I have my Swisstool, I really don’t use it all that often but when I do it’s handy, mostly the large and small flat head screwdrivers and the pliers, the scissors, saw, blade, and chisel almost never get used, maybe a couple times a year, the file also doesn’t get much use as I usually have a better file around and I don’t want to dull it.

In addition to the Swisstool, a classic SD lives on my key ring, mostly just use the toothpick everyday, the tools see little use.
I also carry a dedicated knife, either another SAK such as a Tinker, Spartan, or the wenger variant, an alox soldier get carry time as well. More than half the time though I carry a traditional slip joint as my primary, today is a TL-29, but it’s often a Case trapper, Case stockman, Old Timer 8OT, or a GEC Bunny knife.

As an auto mechanic by trade, I’m never far from real tools, but the Swisstool covers those convenient type situations and frees me up to carry whatever I want without ever being without a toolset.

A two layer SAK is best for me, any more than that and it doesn’t feel right in my hand or pocket.

while I have marred up the phillips on the back of a Tinker (minor damage, not stripped) I have never managed to damage the can opener bit in the least.

I have bought a ton of used SAKs and I have noticed a common issue is that the front of the can opener blade near the screwdriver tip is dinged up pretty badly because the previous owner of the SAK had twisted the can opener blade down into a screw head while using it as a screwdriver.

I have bought a ton of used SAKs and I have noticed a common issue is that the front of the can opener blade near the screwdriver tip is dinged up pretty badly because the previous owner of the SAK had twisted the can opener blade down into a screw head while using it as a screwdriver.

Ok sure, the blade might get a bit dinged up, but that can be fixed and the can opener generally still works if needed. I've never actually twisted the screw driver though, and I'm a welder and millwright... so I've used it hard quite regularly, but never used it improperly or abused it. Not saying it isnt possible, just saying that marvelous little tool will handle a surprising amount of torque.

Reactions: BJE
having carried nothing but the Farmer for about 15 years
just saying that marvelous little tool will handle a surprising amount of torque.

I should also like to point out that all of the 93mm alox models, which includes the Farmer that you've been carrying, are built tougher than your average 91 or 84mm with celidor plastic scales. The 93mm alox models have larger pins and thicker tools. This includes the can opener, which is apparent when doing a side by side comparison. The difference in parts and construction makes the 93mm models overall sturdier and more robust than the typical SAK which is carried and used by most people. Of course this comes with an added cost. The 93mm alox models aren't as affordable.

Answering a question not asked - I carry the old 74mm Executive (and an Ambassador before that) along with, mostly, a Benchmade Bugout 535BK-2 or, less often, a Mini-Presidio. Earlier in life, I carried the Classic for years along with a much larger Buck 110 which was downsized after a few years to the Buck 501. Carrying two SAKs doesn't work in my mind. I must admit though, that my most used tool has always been the Classic, Ambassador, and now, the Executive. The bigger knife is so rarely used I wonder why I still maintain the habit of carrying one. Probably, because in Idaho, it's the law! ;)

I should also like to point out that all of the 93mm alox models, which includes the Farmer that you've been carrying, are built tougher than your average 91 or 84mm with celidor plastic scales. The 93mm alox models have larger pins and thicker tools. This includes the can opener, which is apparent when doing a side by side comparison. The difference in parts and construction makes the 93mm models overall sturdier and more robust than the typical SAK which is carried and used by most people. Of course this comes with an added cost. The 93mm alox models aren't as affordable.

This is why my 93mm Wenger SI is my default if the classic can't handle it. Whatever 'it' may be.

I had two fails with a tinker, both because of a fault in design that was a weakness. The back mounted Phillips is weak, and trying to take off an old license plate with rusty screws from a 1987 BMW R80 motorcycle, cause a bend in the liner of the black mounted Phillips to the point that it affected the function of the tools. Had to go back to Victorinox for that. Then a fall out of a pocket onto floor while dressing, caused the off side cellidor scale to break off about 1/3 down the length.

At least with a 93mm alox, I know I've got a more bomb proof pocket knife on me. The Wenger SI or Vic pioneer series is a great pocket knife. If my classic can't deal with it, then I'm going right for the 93mm alox.

The can opener and saw on my Farmer look identical to those on my 91mm knives, if there is any difference its very minor. The cap lifter and blade are obviously different. Besides, I used to carry a Recruit and use it in the same manner. After I'd switched my EDC to the Farmer, the Recruit lived in a small tool box on my Dual Sport motorcycle for about 4 years, getting bashed around and used for all kinds of things it was never intended. No deformation on the can opener on that knife either, though the scales look like absolute hell now.

Just out of curiousity, what exactly are we arguing about?

Reactions: BJE
Bantam Alox gives me a lg blade,can opener and screw driver wire stripper Classic gives me scissors,pick and tweezers and back up small knife,file and extra screw driver.As a farmer those two are small and lite and give all I need.

Back