Tired of all the pointless bickering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Comeuppance

Fixed Blade EDC Emisssary
It's getting to the point where we can't even talk about knives without it turning into bickering. I wish I could say I was blameless in this matter, but I am not.

Our opinions are not facts. Our perspectives are our own. Other people have opinions and perspectives that they feel are exactly as justified as the ones you hold. Differences in these opinions and perspectives do not reflect inferior intelligence or moral standing.

This is a wonderful community full of great people. I have made real friends here over the years and it is depressing to see people that would likely get along famously in person get into ridiculous pissing matches over how and what they choose to carry.

Please remember to keep things civil. Being aggressive about your stances does nothing to help your position and only increases the likelihood of the discussion going badly... and quickly.

We're mostly good folks here, and we'd almost certainly all more or less get along in person. Pretend that the other users are in the room with us when we type our responses and suddenly a lot of the things that are being said to each other are immediately identifiable as unacceptably confrontational and insulting.

If a thirteen-year-old started calling you ignorant and deluded and stupid for your opinions on Batman, you would think that kid needed to grow up, learn to appreciate different opinions, and gain some perspective on what is important in life.

Why do I mention thirteen? The minimum age for signing up on Bladeforums is thirteen. Let's act like we're at least that old.

I dont see anything other than strong disagreement about "clones" going on. Not bickering. Disagreement.

I'm sure if it was anything more than that the crack mod staff would be all over it. :thumbup:

Very well said. I completely agree with you and I think it's something everyone should take into consideration when having discussions. It's easy to not be a jerk...

I dont see anything other than strong disagreement about "clones" going on. Not bickering. Disagreement.

I'm sure if it was anything more than that the crack mod staff would be all over it. :thumbup:

The innumerable locked threads are not a solution, but a symptom.

Our mods are very good at cleaning up messes, but we should stop making them.

That said, the thread you closed did seem to devolve into bickering, in my opinion, thought the principals involved would probably disagree with that assessment. One man's bickering....

Not sure what any of this thread has to do with General Knife Discussion, though.

The innumerable locked threads are not a solution, but a symptom.

Our mods are very good at cleaning up messes, but we should stop making them.

Again, one man's mess is another man's debate. We are not going to agree on everything and every thread isn't going to be full of ponies and rainbows.

That said, I will hold off on further comment...this doesn't seem to be the place for it.

That said, the thread you closed did seem to devolve into bickering, in my opinion, thought the principals involved would probably disagree with that assessment. One man's bickering....

Not sure what any of this thread has to do with General Knife Discussion, though.

It was that thread that inspired this, aye. It was not the first thread I have locked for such reasons, and I have recently seen at least a half dozen fall to the same fate only to be locked by a mod or have pages and pages of posts removed because it was just so much pointless arguing.

I chose to implement the "off topic" header for a reason.

Hard to interpret words on a screen. You can type things and people are going to take it how they want to.

I do see certain people on here that seem to look for certain things said and jump at the opportunity to get in an argument. Just my opinion and how I read their words, that may or may not be their intention.

People like that or if I feel like someone is trying to get me into an argument I just don't respond. Never been one for Internet fights . It just doesn't do it for me . I've got my opinions on who I think is looking for drama and I don't respond to it .

If a thirteen-year-old started calling you ignorant and deluded and stupid for your opinions on Batman, you would think that kid needed to grow up, learn to appreciate different opinions, and gain some perspective on what is important in life.

Comparing an argument about a fictional character vs. a person calling you ignorant and deluded for exercising your certain inalienable rights, so very similar...:thumbdn:

This has nothing to do with knives. If folks want to discuss each other I believe there is a place for that. If you have problem with how things are run, there is also a place to discuss that.

It's getting to the point where we can't even talk about knives without it turning into bickering. I wish I could say I was blameless in this matter, but I am not.

Our opinions are not facts. Our perspectives are our own. Other people have opinions and perspectives that they feel are exactly as justified as the ones you hold. Differences in these opinions and perspectives do not reflect inferior intelligence or moral standing.

This is a wonderful community full of great people. I have made real friends here over the years and it is depressing to see people that would likely get along famously in person get into ridiculous pissing matches over how and what they choose to carry.

Please remember to keep things civil. Being aggressive about your stances does nothing to help your position and only increases the likelihood of the discussion going badly... and quickly.

We're mostly good folks here, and we'd almost certainly all more or less get along in person. Pretend that the other users are in the room with us when we type our responses and suddenly a lot of the things that are being said to each other are immediately identifiable as unacceptably confrontational and insulting.

Why do I mention thirteen? The minimum age for signing up on Bladeforums is thirteen. Let's act like we're at least that old.
I agree. It's OK to disagree, but I get tired of reading pages of people just bickering and taking up all types of threads. Often the same folks. Like they are following eachother around to disagree or sumthin. If you disagree, bring up a few points and let it go. Don't beat a dead horse.

This.

I didn't mean to "bicker" your previous thread closed. But complaining about what goes on won't do anything. Arguing or disagreeing whatever you want to call it, will always occur in discussion forums.
This has nothing to do with knives. If folks want to discuss each other I believe there is a place for that. If you have problem with how things are run, there is also a place to discuss that.

^^^Hope that is a joke ted :confused:. Comeuppance, I have noticed a lot more of said behavior in recent months (also sometimes guilty of it) and am not certain of the reason; therefore, not certain of the solution. Perhaps some discussion in this thread may help (such as Spartan pointing out that typed words do not convey emotion and can be taken all wrong), which, I would guess, is your intent. Good luck. :thumbup:

OP a couple of words in private is worth a shot too. Once upon a time I had a member in every thread I was in . I said it was daylight outside he'd say I was wrong it was dark. After a few of those I just asked him.in private if he had a problem with me . He said he did not and explained his posts. Turns out he was a pretty good guy and we talked for awhile.

Now if you have words in private just add them to your ignore list.

I agree OP

I belong to so many forums from cars to watches to photography to EDC/gear...etc etc and unfortunately BF has the most childish people and conversations.

I'm not sure what's wrong with 75% of the people on BF but its sad, we all share the same interest but it doesn't seem that way...

Maybe its the type of people on here? gun forums aren't any better (they might be worse) I guess the best thing to do is to just stay out of it.

Personally, I like to argue. Never seen much point in all holding hands and singing kumbaya. Heck, I LIKE shinyedges, but he and I definitely disagreed in the thread in question. As long as it's interesting and stays away from personal attacks I'm all for it.

I was an active member on here for years . Took a break for a couple years and just now came back. I disagree that 75% of people here have issues or like to argue.

Difference of opinions is common but the people that get off on the drama are a minority . I've met a couple of members off here in person, talked to certain members through the years and for the most part they are good people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back