Tired of all the pointless bickering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
1947_eating_popcorn_and_drinking_be.gif

It's getting to the point where we can't even talk about knives without it turning into bickering. I wish I could say I was blameless in this matter, but I am not.

Our opinions are not facts. Our perspectives are our own. Other people have opinions and perspectives that they feel are exactly as justified as the ones you hold. Differences in these opinions and perspectives do not reflect inferior intelligence or moral standing.

This is a wonderful community full of great people. I have made real friends here over the years and it is depressing to see people that would likely get along famously in person get into ridiculous pissing matches over how and what they choose to carry.

Please remember to keep things civil. Being aggressive about your stances does nothing to help your position and only increases the likelihood of the discussion going badly... and quickly.

We're mostly good folks here, and we'd almost certainly all more or less get along in person. Pretend that the other users are in the room with us when we type our responses and suddenly a lot of the things that are being said to each other are immediately identifiable as unacceptably confrontational and insulting.

^ I agree. Unfortunately, that's just the way thing are. What really works great, is when you put these people on your ignore list, don't read a word they say, don't dignify a response to their nonsense, or acknowledge their existence...then this become a pretty swell place! Sure, thread's in the GD will get locked...but at least then, these children return to their mentally challenged playground & take their "time outs!". :D

I agree OP

I belong to so many forums from cars to watches to photography to EDC/gear...etc etc and unfortunately BF has the most childish people and conversations.

I'm not sure what's wrong with 75% of the people on BF but its sad, we all share the same interest but it doesn't seem that way...

Maybe its the type of people on here? gun forums aren't any better (they might be worse) I guess the best thing to do is to just stay out of it.

^ I couldn't agree more. :thumbup: As soon as you learn what the status quo is here & who the troll' are, & learn to "ignore" these idiot's, the sooner you'll learn to enjoy this place. I typically spend most of my time here, shopping for, & buying knives. I don't spend a lot of time seeking other member's opinions on knives, & if I do, I typically just read them, or ask a knowledgeable friend. It seems to me, that every single time I've entered into a discussion over a certain brand, or maker (CRK, Strider, ZT), it's inevitable, that the thread will get locked. It's just the way things are around here. I'm pretty certain that this thread, will also meet the same fate! ;)

FWIW: I've been a member of CalGuns for as long as I've been a member here. I maybe only have 100 or so posts to my name- I basically use it to buy/sell firearms, not for the discussions. Regardless- other than the worst lowballing I've ever encountered, :eek: a majority of the member's there, are professional, mature men, and are able to interact in a civil manner. The one's who lack self control: they get banned.

You definitely can't say the same thing about his place! One letter comes to mind to describe the pack of troller's here: "V" :D

If some of the people here ran their mouths in person like they do in BF they'd get their clocks cleaned real quick. But the internet is the champion of the anonymous.

Very true. Since it is this way people shouldn't be too shocked when they encounter trolls on a forum.

I believe the moderators do a darn fine job, a thankless job it is. Questioning the mods? Start a thread questioning them in tech support..

Yup. The mods do a great job. The red and yellow cards I've gotten were earned, and I know why. I was out of line. I don't think it is a coincidence that the people who think the mods aren't doing a good enough "Job" end up getting themselves banned.

You don't like the bickering? Stay out of it. If you think it violates a rule? Report it. Have a gripe with something? Take it to the appropriate sub forum.

Last edited:
Very true. Since it is this way people shouldn't be too shocked when they encounter trolls on a forum.

Yeah, if you're getting worked up because some keyboard commando is busting your nuts, go for a walk man.

Everyone likes a good debate or argument but a lot of people on here talk **** just to talk **** for no reason at all and have no real educative response.

Here's a typical post on BF.

"Man1 - HEY! I just got a new Umnumzaan and I'm really impressed with it!"

"Man2 - That knife is a straight piece of **** because its doesn't have a G10 scale and its ugly"

"Man1 - Yeah well G10 is for cheap low end junk knives like Spydercos"

"Man2 - Spydercos rule the world bud"

"Man3 - ****in Spyderco fanboy"

"Man4 - Not sure why any of you idiots would spend over $400 on knife, you guys are useless humans"

and that's being a bit easy, they tend to be more harsh, again, for no reason at all.

Inappropriate language, this isn't the place for it. When arguing for civility it is important to show some.

It has gotten more childish in the last few years around here. If some of the people here ran their mouths in person like they do in BF they'd get their clocks cleaned real quick. But the internet is the champion of the anonymous.

^ Perhaps.

But then again, there's a very strong likelihood, that CPS, & law enforcement, would then be getting involved, & there would be "child abuse" charges filed against you. :D

"A"

^ Perhaps.

But then again, there's a very strong likelihood, that CPS, & law enforcement, would then be getting involved, & there would be "child abuse" charges filed against you. :D

"A"

Wait, what?

Recently one of the biggest argumentable topics is how people feel about Chinese knives.
I'm not calling out any threads, but in general there are so many reasons for and against Chinese knives that nobody agrees. It's usually people wanting perfectly logical reasons why. the simple fact is that China is a country where knives come from, and they have a reputation that affects how people see all knives from that country. So for most people a China knife is a China knife, and it will likely stay this way until China joins the same boat as Japan.( whatever this means to you )

There's nothing wrong with discussion and disagreement, but people need to realize that people don't always have a logical and factual reason for thinking things like we think they should in order to disagree. In these cases we should know that we won't get anywhere with them on this subject, and they should have just simply stated their opinion and not try to argue without having any real reasons why.
Because more often than not it's a " just because that's why " situation.
Lastly people need to learn when it's time to agree to disagree.

I'm just here to have some fun and enjoy the company of other knife enthusiasts... :thumbup::cool::D

280sw007883.gif

:applause:

^ LMFREAKINGAO! I just watched this crack head, dance for almost 5 minutes. He's quite mesmerizing. :D

"G"

^ Perhaps.

"A"

I thought it was one letter, and that one letter was for "Vivacious"!

Have you changed the game to hangman?

Recently one of the biggest argumentable topics is how people feel about Chinese knives.
I'm not calling out any threads, but in general there are so many reasons for and against Chinese knives that nobody agrees. It's usually people wanting perfectly logical reasons why. the simple fact is that China is a country where knives come from, and they have a reputation that affects how people see all knives from that country. So for most people a China knife is a China knife, and it will likely stay this way until China joins the same boat as Japan.( whatever this means to you )

There's nothing wrong with discussion and disagreement, but people need to realize that people don't always have a logical and factual reason for thinking things like we think they should in order to disagree. In these cases we should know that we won't get anywhere with them on this subject, and they should have just simply stated their opinion and not try to argue without having any real reasons why.
Because more often than not it's a " just because that's why " situation.
Lastly people need to learn when it's time to agree to disagree.

^ With all due respect: it's not fair to China, or the Chinese citizen's, to be lumped into a discussion about BF trolls! :D

In fact a few hundred million of them, would find this offensive! :D

There are three philosophies/policies that serve me well, both in the real world, and on internet forums. And they are-

1. To each his own.

2. Let's agree to disagree.

3. If I don't like it or am not interested in it, I ignore it and move on with my life.

In regards to #1, there are a lot of people in this world (and on internet forums) who believe that what they like is best and anything different is crap. But they don't just believe it, they feel compelled to tell others that what they like is crap and treat them as stupid for liking what they like.

In regards to #2, many people aren't willing to accept a difference of opinion, and instead, they not only need to prove the other person is wrong, but they also feel the need to try and prove that the other person is stupid. And many people are overly defensive and regard any expressed disagreement as some kind of personal attack, and they feel compelled to attack back.

In regards to #3, it always baffles me when people will jump into a thread that they are clearly not interested in just to say how stupid/silly/pointless the thread topic is. And in some cases they will start actively trolling in order to try and get the thread locked. And unfortunately the mods often give them exactly what they want. The thread gets locked, but the trolls don't get punished and are free to troll again another day in another thread. On and on it goes.

I have seen all such behavior on Bladeforums over the years, including recently. But that's life on an internet forum. When you have this many people in one place you're going to get all kinds of personalities, good and not-so-good.

I have no solutions, only observations. There was a time in the past where I would argue for pages on end over matters that were in fact meaningless, but I recognized how pointless that is and stopped doing it. I call that "personal growth".

A forum is what it's members choose to make of it. And every day is an opportunity for us to make Bladeforums a better, more welcoming place.

Last edited:
I'm just here to have some fun and enjoy the company of other knife enthusiasts... :thumbup::cool::D

280sw007883.gif

:applause:

If you don't mind, Czechmate- I'd like to bump this dancing dude up one more time, so that I can watch him dance. He's amazing! :D

I hope nobody has misinterpreted this thread as an attempt to get us to all never disagree and just hug everything out.

Like all hobbies, opinions vary widely and are guaranteed to conflict here and there. I welcome and appreciate varying perspectives and opinions, as discussions from differing perspectives can be enlightening for everyone involved. I have learned many things through calm, rational disagreements.

Nobody has ever changed their mind because they were called an ignorant fool. Nobody has ever changed their mind because someone puffed up their chest on a forum. That is just ego gratification and ad hominem, from which nobody benefits.

I'm frankly surprised at how many negative comments have been made about this thread pleading for civil discussion.

If you don't mind, Czechmate- I'd like to bump this dancing dude up one more time, so that I can watch him dance. He's amazing! :D

KELAMA, I'm concerned you don't know who that is... If you haven't seen "The Big Lebowski," I implore you to stop whatever it is you're doing and watch this movie. I believe it's on Netflix streaming. It's too good not to watch.

I hope nobody has misinterpreted this thread as an attempt to get us to all never disagree and just hug everything out.

Like all hobbies, opinions vary widely and are guaranteed to conflict here and there. I welcome and appreciate varying perspectives and opinions, as discussions from differing perspectives can be enlightening for everyone involved. I have learned many things through calm, rational disagreements.

Nobody has ever changed their mind because they were called an ignorant fool. Nobody has ever changed their mind because someone puffed up their chest on a forum. That is just ego gratification and ad hominem, from which nobody benefits.

I'm frankly surprised at how many negative comments have been made about this thread pleading for civil discussion.

Comeuppance,

You are not a lightning rod nor argumentative, so your standing in this seems to be pretty neutral. This is your thread and your soap box:

Given what you see and the underlying causes, what do you think is a solution?

Do you see a call for better behavior having an effect on those who don't behave and don't feel they need to? Or do you think something else has to happen, and what would that be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back