Titanium Tear-Jerker Self-Defense Ring. Tons of great pics!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any ideas on a "compromise" design? Sort of in between the Tear Jerker and the Jones' Brothers ring?

JIm

Dogs Meadow,

My ring also fits on my Middle finger, as well as my Ring Finger, so it's somewhat interchangible... but I hadn't thought about what Death's Head spoke to regarding your fingers being more flush with it on the Ring finger.

It makes sense though, I'll have to give a few punches this week on the heavy bag, with some heavy stock paper taped on it to see if I can gain some more insight into placement on the middle finger.

Dogsmeadow said:
Any ideas on a "compromise" design? Sort of in between the Tear Jerker and the Jones' Brothers ring?

JIm
Haven't really thought about a comprimise. Not really sure what you have in mind. The Engagement Rings is seems effective for what it was intended for, but I feel it is a bit on the agressive side.
When I designed this ring, I first off, wanted the ring to look like a great looking everyday ring. I work in a hospital and no one has taken notice to me ring at it has been a few weeks now. Also, more or less the ring is pretty low profile or not so bulky. No spikes or hooks sticking out anywhere, so the ring doesn't get in the way with my everyday life at all.

My thinking right now is that if my layers of defense have failed to the point where I am relying on a ring, I am probably not going to be in a position to punch hard enough to break a finger. I am likely going to be in slap, grab, rake, scratch, poke, tear, berzerker mode. It seems that a ring on the index or middle finger might make more sense in this situation. I am working on a little different design, sort of like the Jones Brothers' ring. I don't have a good way to draw it on my computer to send to btboone. I'd appreciate any ideas on ring design and computer use.

Thanks,

Jim

Dogsmeadow said:
My thinking right now is that if my layers of defense have failed to the point where I am relying on a ring, I am probably not going to be in a position to punch hard enough to break a finger. I am likely going to be in slap, grab, rake, scratch, poke, tear, berzerker mode. It seems that a ring on the index or middle finger might make more sense in this situation. I am working on a little different design, sort of like the Jones Brothers' ring. I don't have a good way to draw it on my computer to send to btboone. I'd appreciate any ideas on ring design and computer use.

Thanks,

Jim
I had the same problem as you. I just explained to Bruce the best I could and somehow I was able to communicate what I had in mind. He would then send me a computerized image of the ring. I would think over the image for a few days to see if I could make any changes and communicate with Bruce again. I don't if it was me or if Bruce was very receptive, but talking over the ideas with him was really easy.
I thought of a ring that you could make that would either be like Slugfast's. But the serrations all the way around. The only problem is, it can be irritating to the adjacent fingers with the scrapping. Or you can have a design like mine but with the serrations on the inside as well. I thought of that, but I thought it would be really inconvenient to have those serrations there at all times. Just my 2 cents.

Stay sharp!
DH

Right. I am thinking of something like a Livesay Meat Eater, if you are familiar with them. Maybe with a few more edges.

Death's Head:
How do you think yours would rip if "pushed and twisted"? Maybe I don't need to reinvent the wheel.

Thanks,
Jim

I have a ring with a damascus claw set in it that is very small, does not get in the way with work or bother people as it is designed to be worn backwards and the claw is hidden .You can also use any type closed hand moves with no problem.I have worn it for years and have used it 2 times..1 by accident.

A close pal was being a jerk one night a few years ago and was taunting me just to be weird and was pushing me and then threw a half ass kick that I side steeped and grabbed as he pulled his leg back the ring caught his pants and sliced them from the upper knee to the bottom hem the ring also cut a wound 3 long on the side of his calf.I had forgotton I had the talon on..my pal was like damn you and your gadget BS ....We are still friends.:D

The other time it was used was in a very weird assualt. I was walking in a door at a small store with my wife and as we were walking in a very weird and smelly bag lady was walking out and a guy was behind me my wife was ahead of me.

I made a comment to my wife that the lady was strange .The guy said what the FUC and pushes me and as I turned he grabbed my throat and I took my right hand with the claw and grabbed the back of his neck and ripped ..he released and the wound to his neck was wild. I pressed charges and showed the "art piece " ring to the LEO that responded..their were lots of witnesses and the dude later stated he thought I was talking about him so he pushed and choked me and that was it in a nutshell. I never bragged it was a grappling weapon just said it was a native american bird claw art ring and that I was very sorry blah-blah etc.....

It can be seen in between the luminx watch and the wasp stinger mini-pistol.I will get a few better pics later.

attachment.php

I remember the Meat Eater. And it did cross my mind a few weeks ago. For the Tear-Jerker to work in that way, the teeth would have to be larger, and the overall width of the ring would have to be increased also.

Alwilliam, I like the sound of your damascus claw. Is that something that is commercially available?

Death's Head,
Sounds like my idea might be getting too wide/unwieldy. What about two rows of steps going down to the center of the ring and then back up again?

Jim

Dogsmeadow said:
Alwilliam, I like the sound of your damascus claw. Is that something that is commercially available?

Jim

ALLEN BLADE custom made them for me many years ago and he did a outstanding job...but he only made 4-5 that I know of. He lost wax cast the ring body himself that he custom designed and custom ground the claw and then the claw is set in a channel and peened.

I bug him every few years to make more but with no luck.

I gave one to James Piorek years ago and kept a damascus.The other 2-3 I have no clue.

Many years ago their was a long thread on this forum where Allen told the whole story about the "Tactical TALON" rings and what their orignal design was for .... I am one of the LEO in the thread.

I Looked for the thread on a search but had no luck I bet its here someplace.

Dogsmeadow said:

Death's Head,
Sounds like my idea might be getting too wide/unwieldy. What about two rows of steps going down to the center of the ring and then back up again?

Jim
That would give the ring a unique look, but I don't think it would change the effectiveness of the ring. I do prefer the little cubes on my ring than the serrations on my second one. All the little corners give a lot of bite on the ring. Much better than my first one. Keep in mind that the wider the spaces between the teeth of the ring, the better the bite also. That is why I went down to so few. Any less and I thought there would be just too few for a effective bite at all.

attachment.php

some rings I have tested..the TAD gear ring is next to useless but it does have a very nice titanium band.

The claw works great as does the BAT.The bat is plated brass. I have had it since my metal days in the very early 1980s.

Very nice. Good pics. I do like the look of the TAD. And the spike makes a nice looking keychain too. But you know it's issues. It is a great looking ring I have to admit.

Stay sharp.
DH

I did break a window with the tad "glass breaker" with great effort...what a mistake that was overall:mad:

Its a cool LOOKING gadget toy at best,IMO. I would take any regular old "biker" spike ring over that tad design with out a question.For real world use. The DH-tear-jerk design is far beyond the tad design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back