Traveling with a knife question?

I’m about to start doing a bunch of traveling (in my vehicle) and it’s got me wondering whether these knife laws are strictly enforced, at least in most states outside NY, CA and the rest of communist New England? I’m in Texas where there aren’t really any problematic laws for carrying a pocket knife so I’m curious whether LE in other states (particularly western states like CO, OK, NM, WY, UT, ID, MT, OR & WA) actively asks people walking down the street to show them your pocket knife? A good portion of my regular EDC knives, like my CRK Umnumzaan are slightly longer than 3.5”. So, technically, I’m not supposed to carry it in some of these states. I’m just wondering whether the actively check OR whether you’re only going to get in trouble if you’re doing some dumb sh*t already?

Just trying to figure out what I can load into the truck, in my bags, for carrying daily while I’m on the road?

Look up the LegalBlade Knife Law App. It's run by Critter Critter of Knife Rights and compiles up to date info re important Knife laws by city and state.

As for my personal opinion: I would not hesitate to carry reasonable folders and fixed anywhere in the mountain west or southwest. I would leave autos at home and not flaunt any massive bowies on my belt in town, but if you behave like a reasonable adult you shouldn't have any problems. Be wary, however that tribal counsels in the various Nations may impose stricter rules than the states.

Safe travels.

Look up the LegalBlade Knife Law App. It's run by Critter Critter of Knife Rights and compiles up to date info re important Knife laws by city and state.

As for my personal opinion: I would not hesitate to carry reasonable folders and fixed anywhere in the mountain west or southwest. I would leave autos at home and not flaunt any massive bowies on my belt in town, but if you behave like a reasonable adult you shouldn't have any problems. Be wary, however that tribal counsels in the various Nations may impose stricter rules than the states.

Safe travels.

Don't do or say dumb things. Be in dumb places. Hang out with dumb people.
You should be OK.
I think I paraphrased Charlie Mike.-RIP

Thanks y’all! That’s kinda what I figured but wanted to check. I have traveled a lot but stopped about 10 years ago, when our kids got active in Sports, and I just wanted to make sure things hadn’t changed.

Unless some serious bad things are happening , or you are suspected of something ...cops generally got better things to do .

If you get randomly stopped or for a traffic violation , most cops just don't want to have a weapon used on them . They really hate when that happens !

Be polite but not overly obsequious . Don't act stupid , jittery , or like you are grabbing for a weapon .

I will usually set any lethal weapons out of easy reach , but visible (if legal ) . If asked , don't lie . They don't like that either !

If the cops seem nervous and especially vigilant , be sure to move slowly and explain what you're planning on and ask permission first .

Some are A-holes , like in any job , so might "confiscate " a knife . Just let it go !

Or complain later . Never aggressively argue/threaten , to a cop's face, unless the circumstance is indeed dire .

I agree with essentially all of the above. I’d just ask a question: As a “knife guy”, you should have the ability to figure out the restrictions in different states AND find a knife/knives that could allow you to travel legally - do you want to be the “knife guy” that pulls out a clearly illegal knife in front of friends/family? I’m not trying to say you shouldn’t do it. I’m occasionally over the speed limit in my car, and I take the chance that I could be ticketed or be found at fault for an accident for instance. I’m just suggesting you weigh the benefits vs. risks of carrying an “illegal weapon “.
Safe travels.

I’d also ask - do you carry any other weapons or are you highly trained in martial arts? If not I’d suggest that in a life-or-death situation, like most humans, you might be likely to use your knife to defend your life or that of a loved-one, etc. (even if you don’t carry it as a weapon).
In the unlikely and unfortunate event that you use your knife as a weapon, it can only hurt your case if you did your defending with an “illegal weapon”.

I’m about to start doing a bunch of traveling (in my vehicle) and it’s got me wondering whether these knife laws are strictly enforced, at least in most states outside NY, CA and the rest of communist New England? I’m in Texas where there aren’t really any problematic laws for carrying a pocket knife so I’m curious whether LE in other states (particularly western states like CO, OK, NM, WY, UT, ID, MT, OR & WA) actively asks people walking down the street to show them your pocket knife? A good portion of my regular EDC knives, like my CRK Umnumzaan are slightly longer than 3.5”. So, technically, I’m not supposed to carry it in some of these states. I’m just wondering whether the actively check OR whether you’re only going to get in trouble if you’re doing some dumb sh*t already?

Just trying to figure out what I can load into the truck, in my bags, for carrying daily while I’m on the road?
As others have said, the Knife Rights Legal Blade App should help with all the questions you have regarding the legality of knives in all jurisdictions.

In general, people don’t usually get into trouble or questioned about knives they’re carrying unless they get into a situation where they do something stupid and all their activity at the time is placed under scrutiny. The only place where you may actually get hassled over carrying a knife is NYC. It’s usually only if they see the pocket clip exposed or they see an imprint of the knife under your clothing. So if you’re carrying something there, you got to make sure it’s totally concealed and no imprints are identifiable.

I agree with above but I carry a 3" blade (like a small Sebenza, etc.) because those are legal in most states and cities. I've never been stopped while walking and never searched when stopped for speeding in a car. I still carry a 3" folder cause you never know. But if a 3" blade is too small for you, then you are probably a really big guy and don't even need a knife. lol

I did get asked about the pocket clip in my pocket once by a police officer in NYC. The clip happened to belong to a pen at that moment, not a knife, but if it had been a knife it may have been an issue.

Actually I did get asked about a knife clip again recently by another officer in NYC. He just wanted to compare knives and show me his though :)

If you’re in doubt, just don’t walk around with any part of the knife showing, including the clip, and don’t do anything stupid. I’d carry a little red SAK as a “public friendly” knife if you had to use something in a situation where your CRK might be frowned on.

-Mike

No automatic knives in NM and they consider assisted to be autos as well. Otherwise you’re good to go there. (They also have a catch-all phrase in their law stating that any knife capable of serious injury is illegal or words to that effect. Rarely used but can be at the officer’s discretion.) A valuable resource for the traveler: knifeup.com

Last edited:
No automatic knives in NM and they consider assisted to be autos as well. Otherwise you’re good to go there. (They also have a catch-all phrase in their law stating that any knife capable of serious injury is illegal or words to that effect. Rarely used but can be at the officer’s discretion.) A valuable resource for the traveler: knifeup.com
Sounds like they’re kind of in the same boat as New York. I’m sure assisted openers are widely available in New Mexico and as such, many have probably assumed them to be legal and carried them unaware they can get in trouble.

I live in New England and make it a practice to only carry a 3” blade. In all my life I’ve never had an issue or been checked, but for me it’s not worth risking it by carrying over 3” for EDC. I leave autos at home if traveling out of my home state.

It's so crazy to think there are cities where you can't carry pocket knives in the United States

Reactions: DMG
Leave autos at home, and don't carry any fixed blade concealed (you'd be surprised how many counties have an issue with that). When asked, be open to a sheriff what you have on yourself., and that it's a tool, to prep food, help with car issues, etc. Generally, they have other things to worry about. And don't carry into government buildings, schools, museums, etc. That's what I do, anyways.

Don't do or say dumb things. Be in dumb places. Hang out with dumb people.
You should be OK.
I think I paraphrased Charlie Mike.-RIP
This is terrible advice. It is legal or it isn’t. Leaving yourself at the mercy of officer discretion is a great way to wind up in jail.

Have had a folder in my pocket for 30 years in MA and RI and have never had an issue. One time in RI I was in a bar and the cops came in...someone called saying someone in the bar had a gun. Guess I matched the description so they brought me outside and had to empty my pockets. Cop looked at my knife for a sec and handed it right back to me.

This is terrible advice. It is legal or it isn’t. Leaving yourself at the mercy of officer discretion is a great way to wind up in jail.
It's advice that has done me well for 70 years.
Take it or don't.

Back