1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

W.R. Case & Tony Bose Collaboration 2009 - Norfolk Wharncliffe

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Rick, Oct 8, 2009.

1. Rick

Rick Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 27, 1998
    Tony and Case did a wonderful job on this pattern. The slim 3.75" long, 0.4" thick handle has great ergos and makes a comfortable EDC with a handy blade selection that's reminiscent of a half-whittler. There are nicely milled liners at both ends, a flush spring in all positions, sunken joints, half-stops on both blades and remarkably good F&F inside and out with no gaps anywhere.

The blades share a single spring and nest neatly within the tight confines of the handle with absolutely no rubbing with one another or the thick stainless liners, which is no small accomplishment. They're both about a 6 on the pull scale and have a solid snap, smooth action and no play.

The various cut and drawn swedges are deep, flowing, uniform and crisp, yet they present the hand with no sharp edges when the blades are closed. The shield pin is a beefy thing that looks to be the same diameter as the main spring pin. IMO, this knife is well worth the asking price, and then some.

On with the show:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. george65

george65

Dec 21, 2008
    that's a beauty!
    I like how the jigging goes all the way to the bolsters.

3. dslteck

dslteck

Sep 15, 2006
    :eek:...speechless:thumbup:

4. ms3902

ms3902

Jul 8, 2007
    That has got to be one of the best to come out of the Case factory in a while. And while all of the colaberations have been great this has to to be the best in some time.
    I have to say that I am jealous of you and your new "toy".

5. 7rip13a

7rip13a

Jul 2, 2009
    Very nice, I like the thick spine. Finish is flawless as expected.

6. Rick

Nov 27, 1998
    Thanks for the kind words. I've always appreciated the Case/Bose collaboration series, but aside from the gorgeous and functional 3-7/8" lockback whittler from '05, the '09 Norfolk may be the most comfortable and practical EDC user of the bunch.

7. cj65

cj65 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 30, 2008
    What is the MSRP? I could not find it, maybe I do not want to know.

8. Rick

Nov 27, 1998
    MFG List is $370.00, but you should be able to find 'em for around $100.00 less if you shop around.

9. mitch13

mitch13

Nov 3, 2004
    That is sweeeeeeeet.
    mitch

10. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    Thank you for an excellent gallery of shots.

Really nice and unusual knife, very much like a long lost pattern in an old knife catalogue. Is this Antique or Chestnut Bone please?

11. Rick

Nov 27, 1998
    I agree! It offers an interesting mixture of an anachronistic old world aesthetic coupled with very modern construction details and materials.

It's the Antique bone. I think it complements the pattern's old world vibe particularly well.

12. wagglebee

wagglebee

Jun 6, 2009
    Wow! Tony and Case hit it out of the park on this one. I definitely need to pick one of these up.

13. Entreri

Entreri

Aug 29, 2008
    Gosh darnit.. Told myself I couldn't afford it from the time I heard they were coming out, but it's somehow going to work it's way into my budget if I keep seeing pics like these and hearing good reviews.

14. stockman242

stockman242

Jan 14, 2008
    Great stuff, too bad I cant afford it right now.
    That secondary blade looks great.

Peter

15. knowtracks

knowtracks Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 16, 2006
    What stockman said:confused:
    Nice pics by the by!

16. ScottK

ScottK Gold Member Gold Member

May 25, 1999
    Beautiful knife, your posting just inspired me to call my Case dealer and order a Chestnut bone Norfolk Whittler.

17. Peter Parker

Peter Parker

Aug 18, 2008
    Wowser!!

18. ken erickson

ken erickson

Aug 27, 2004
    This knife is wonderful on many levels. The fit finish, complexity and the willingness of a Company to work with someone such as Tony Bose and produce a knife like this is top rate. I think that other knife making company's would do well to take notice!

Great looking bone by the way!

Congrats on a fine example of the cutlers art.

Ken

19. kamagong

kamagong

Jan 13, 2001
    That's a really nice knife. Excellent pictures too, they make me want to buy one.

20. cj65

cj65 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 30, 2008
    OK, now to siphon off my kid's lunch money again. 2 of them could stand to lose a little weight. Just tryin to be a good dad and all.:D