Watches: Citizen Eco-Drive BM8180-03E vs. Seiko 5 SNK809 (or other recommendation)

This is an extension of my original thread, which is here:
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1195977-Watch-Recommendation

I've pretty much narrowed my decision down to two watches: the Citizen Eco-Drive BM8180-03E and the Seiko 5 SNK809. I like the looks of the Citizen more than the Seiko, but I like the movement of the Seiko more than the Citizen (The see-through back and smooth movement appeals to me). So, which one would you prefer, or should I get neither watch? Is the Citizen worth $50 more? I've been looking for a casual automatic with a black stainless steel case and a black metal band under a 40mm diameter (I have small wrists) for around $100, but I can't find anything like that. If you know of anything that fits those criteria, please let me know! So, if you have any experience with either of these watches or have any other recommendations, I would love to hear your opinion. Thanks!

Here are the links to the watches:

Citizen: http://www.amazon.com/Citizen-BM818...-Strap/dp/B000EQS1JW/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
Seiko: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1688200382&pf_rd_i=507846

EDIT:
Alright, here's what I'm looking for in a watch:

40mm or less case diameter, nothing bigger, my wrists are small
Automatic movement (preferably with a see-through back, I like that)
Nice casual look, but not too pretty (since it will be my only watch, I want to be able to wear it whenever I need it, so I don't want to baby it. I will not be wearing it in a office environment either)
Decent WR rating
Canvas, leather, or black metal strap
Budget ~$100, would like it to be cheaper, but if I really like it I will be willing to pay that much.

It seems as though the Seiko 5 is exactly what I want, but IMO the face doesn't look all that great.

Last edited:
My ecodrive is going on 12 years now, sent back once just for a polish and refresh not because of any mechanical or functional issues. Sometimes it will sit for a week or more without being worn, it's always right when I pick it up. Just keep its face visible in a normally lit room, that will be enough. No regulation needed, no winder needed, damn good watches. The 5 is also a good watch, but as an automatic mechanical you get ~30 or 40 hours run time before it stops. That being said, I also have a seiko Turtle, I like and use both often.

If you don't mind vintage/used, look for some various Enicar star 17J watches. Usually they are day winders or hand winders, but pretty cool watches with good movement if taken care of.

-Xander

My ecodrive is going on 12 years now, sent back once just for a polish and refresh not because of any mechanical or functional issues. Sometimes it will sit for a week or more without being worn, it's always right when I pick it up. Just keep its face visible in a normally lit room, that will be enough. No regulation needed, no winder needed, damn good watches. The 5 is also a good watch, but as an automatic mechanical you get ~30 or 40 hours run time before it stops. That being said, I also have a seiko Turtle, I like and use both often.

If you don't mind vintage/used, look for some various Enicar star 17J watches. Usually they are day winders or hand winders, but pretty cool watches with good movement if taken care of.

-Xander

Can you manually wind the Seiko 5 to keep it from stopping without wearing it, or can it only be wound by the weighted plate's movement?

I like the Citizen (and also have had an Eco-drive for years). I'm kind of shocked you can get an automatic that cheap, but as cool as the back is, I still wouldn't want one. Love the simplicity and easy readability of the Citizen- and the Eco-drive.

No, to wind the watch you need a watch winder which winds your watch when you want to sleep. :D

Also, the 5 is only WR30 rated, so basically it's safe to wear while washing your hands but not to dunk while washing dishes or showering. The Citizen is WR100 rated so fine for shower, dishes, occasional swim but not diving deep.

So in short, yes the citizen is worth much more than the 50 extra over the Seiko. Plus they keep great time.

-Xander

I'd say spring for the Citizen. A lot better looking. You gotta like something you're going to wear every day, and looks are important. It also says something about you.

Seriously the most important thing in any watch is the movement. If you have narrowed your search down to those two watches, and your equally split between the two, let the deciding factor be the movement. In such a case as yours, I know, without a doubt or second thought, which I would choose. The Seiko 7s26. Lot tougher that the eco drive. The 7s26 movement is practically bomb proof. I shoot center fire rifles (.30-06 and similar cartridges) right handed (right eye dominate) with a 7s26 on my right wrist (left handed) without worry. The 7s26 can take the recoil. I wouldn't do that with an eco drive.

As to your other question regarding winding, Seiko's SNK809's 7s26 movement cannot be manually wound, but that's not a problem if it's a watch you wear every day as it'll keep itself wound. If you do ever let the mainspring's power reserve go to zero, you simply set the time and date (very simple thing to do), hold the watch in your hand and break your wrist/move your hand up and down or side to side counting to 50 or so to move the rotor, then put the watch on your wrist.

My son is currently in Israel on an archaeological dig wearing the Seiko 5 w/ 7s26 I wore in Afghanistan in 2012. It's a tough watch.

Last edited:
Seriously the most important thing in any watch is the movement. If you have narrowed your search down to those two watches, and your equally split between the two, let the deciding factor be the movement. In such a case as yours, I know, without a doubt or second thought, which I would choose. The Seiko 7s26. Lot tougher that the eco drive. The 7s26 movement is practically bomb proof. I shoot center fire rifles (.30-06 and similar cartridges) right handed (right eye dominate) with a 7s26 on my right wrist (left handed) without worry. The 7s26 can take the recoil. I wouldn't do that with an eco drive.

As to your other question regarding winding, Seiko's SNK809's 7s26 movement cannot be manually wound, but that's not a problem if it's a watch you wear every day as it'll keep itself wound. If you do ever let the mainspring's power reserve go to zero, you simply set the time and date (very simple thing to do), hold the watch in your hand and break your wrist/move your hand up and down or side to side counting to 50 or so to move the rotor, then put the watch on your wrist.

My son is currently in Israel on an archaeological dig wearing the Seiko 5 w/ 7s26 I wore in Afghanistan in 2012. It's a tough watch.

Gotta agree with this. My monsters with the 7s26 have been worn for just about everything and are very tough. If you don't feel like wearing it that day and are worried about keeping time, just walk by and shake it a few times and it's good to go. If I wear mine a day or two and don't feel like wearing a watch for awhile afterwards, it holds time for another 30-40 hours before dying.

I don't see why you would be afraid to wear an ecodrive while shooting? I do and have for years shooting large pistol (460, 41, 44, etc) as well as rifle without issues. My watch has taken some serious abuse as I rely on it for my start times when I'm racing. It's been slammed into the mast, banged on deck, dropped, and other such abuse without nearly a hiccup.

Like I said I have both, a turtle with a 7s26 movement and an ecodrive. They are both tough watch movements. It's the other features the OP should worry about.

-Xander

Can you guys think of any other Seiko's with the same movement for around $100 under a 40mm case diameter to make it more comparable to the Eco-Drive? I like the Seiko 5 Sports SNZG15 but it's too large. If that was smaller I would probably buy it.

The eco drive is well worth the price difference. I've had multiple eco drives and Seiko 5's, and there is no real comparison of quality - Citizen wins hands down in this case. Not to mention, they are as close to maintenance free as you can get with a watch. I, too, love the lifelike look and feel of an automatic, but I'd look a little bit higher than the 5's for one. They are great for what they are, especially the price, but don't quite stand up to a higher price/quality piece. Between the two, go Eco Drive. For a similarly prices Seiko, check out a Seiko Kinetic - very slick movement, more convenient, and higher quality. Here's one of my favorite lines - I have the blacked-out version:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003CG1878/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1404493766&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40

The eco drive is well worth the price difference. I've had multiple eco drives and Seiko 5's, and there is no real comparison of quality - Citizen wins hands down in this case. Not to mention, they are as close to maintenance free as you can get with a watch. I, too, love the lifelike look and feel of an automatic, but I'd look a little bit higher than the 5's for one. They are great for what they are, especially the price, but don't quite stand up to a higher price/quality piece. Between the two, go Eco Drive. For a similarly prices Seiko, check out a Seiko Kinetic - very slick movement, more convenient, and higher quality. Here's one of my favorite lines - I have the blacked-out version:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003CG1878/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1404493766&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40

I've looked at these before. I love the blacked out metal look, but it is too big of a watch for me :grumpy:. If you have any recommendations for something similar but smaller, please let me know!

I don't see why you would be afraid to wear an ecodrive while shooting? I do and have for years shooting large pistol (460, 41, 44, etc) as well as rifle without issues. My watch has taken some serious abuse as I rely on it for my start times when I'm racing. It's been slammed into the mast, banged on deck, dropped, and other such abuse without nearly a hiccup.

Like I said I have both, a turtle with a 7s26 movement and an ecodrive. They are both tough watch movements. It's the other features the OP should worry about.

-Xander

I gave a man my 7s26 SKX173 in Afghanistan when his eco broke. He still wears it. Had another 7s26 (Seiko 5) given and mailed to me then. When I returned, I gave that watch to my son (he's wearing it now), and I replaced it with a 7s26 SKX007 which I regularly wear now.

I just saw too many men with broken eco drives/kinetics (believe it was the capacitors) in Iraq and Afghanistan looking for a watch. The capacitors do have a shelf life and though even while still running it may be, at best, on the very threshold of low charge.

Also with a 7s26, you'll never be GOD-knows-where looking for the right capacitor for an eco/kinetic drive or the right battery for a quartz movement.

Also with any watch with a capacitor, you do not want it to run down completely and let it sit for a long time without getting it fully charged. Capacitors are the weak link in the system. If the fully charged reserve is less than a week, replace the capacitor.

Would it be possible to Duracoat the case of a Seiko 5 to get the desired color I want?

12 years and still can go more than a month on the same cap. It does have power save mode if under a coat cuff for too long, it will stop the hands and then when brought back into the light catch back up.

I do like both, but did the OP say he was going to the sand box and will be abusing it? Durability is a moot point, he said he wanted it as a casual watch.

The Seiko divers are still 40mm case and many ecodrives are as well. Here are my two...

20140630_183241_zps5o1wy9ps.jpg

Both have pluses and minuses, between the two stated I would choose the ecodrive. The water resistance level alone is enough to decide for me.

Also, to the OP, if a quartz watch is something you're fine with check out Skagen, nice watches at very reasonable prices. Battery powered though, but that's cheap and easy to do at home.

-X

12 years and still can go more than a month on the same cap. It does have power save mode if under a coat cuff for too long, it will stop the hands and then when brought back into the light catch back up.

Are you referring to the Citizen Eco-Drive here?

Also, the 5 is only WR30 rated, so basically it's safe to wear while washing your hands but not to dunk while washing dishes or showering. The Citizen is WR100 rated so fine for shower, dishes, occasional swim but not diving deep.

Last time I checked my sink wasn't 30 meters deep.... :p

Alright, here's what I'm looking for in a watch:

40mm or less case diameter, nothing bigger, my wrists are small
Automatic movement (preferably with a see-through back, I like that)
Nice casual look, but not too pretty (since it will be my only watch, I want to be able to wear it whenever I need it, so I don't want to baby it. I will not be wearing it in a office environment)
Decent WR rating
Canvas, leather, or black metal strap
Budget ~$100, would like it to be cheaper, but if I really like it I will be willing to pay that much.

It seems as though the Seiko 5 is exactly what I want, but IMO the face doesn't look all that great.

I will add this to my OP so that newcomers to this thread will see this.

Some of the Seiko 5s are about the only thing close. Your biggest limiter, with all your criteria taken as a whole, is your budget. Regarding the case back, there just aren't that many watches (especially in your budget) with such a case back.

Last edited:
Back