Well...It's Friday...

Mistwalker

Gold Member
Well, here it is...Friday morning again, and for the first time in weeks I may actually be around a computer at the time of the Friday post. Though I have recently been deep in the woods playing around with recent Fiddleback purchases. Functionally the Camp Knife continues to impress the hell out of me. This may somehow actually be a form of masochism, since I am already in possession of a new Fiddleback as part of a trade. I'll finally get to see a tapered tang 1/8" blade. The trouble is this one is still unused, and the current owner is obviously, (and understandably), concerned about preserving the new condition of the knife. The one I sent in trade will not arrive until tomorrow, and lol, I don't want to go through the trouble of removing the protective layer of wrap until I know he at least likes the one I sent. So...I sit here working, and waiting to see what this week's batch will bring, and what further torture I can subject myself to.

So, just out of curiosity, what are some of the things you guys are hoping to see pop up?

I gotta admit, when I opened up my 1/8" TT BF, I had mixed emotions. Sure, it is exactly what I was hoping for....but at the same time it felt substantially lighter, almost like a toy. So what else are you supposed to do with a new toy? Go in the back yard and play with it! My seriously laughable contest entry was pretty fun. I like it. The edge is very thin. Only problem now, is the wife wanted me to sell one when I bought it. Now I want to keep both my Bushfingers!

I gotta admit, when I opened up my 1/8" TT BF, I had mixed emotions. Sure, it is exactly what I was hoping for....but at the same time it felt substantially lighter, almost like a toy. So what else are you supposed to do with a new toy? Go in the back yard and play with it! My seriously laughable contest entry was pretty fun. I like it. The edge is very thin. Only problem now, is the wife wanted me to sell one when I bought it. Now I want to keep both my Bushfingers!

Hey, tell her you like that idea and that you will. Then sell the first and put the money toward a Camp, then you'll have the larger one for the heavy work, and the lighter one for detailed work :)

And I see nothing at all laughable about your entry man. I wish I had time to participate in this one.

A series of anniversary, birthdays, Mother's Day and now graduation has left me broke and skosh in the red... so I am going to have to be happy with my skinny Kephart for a time.

If I were flush I would be looking for:
1) 3/16 high grind Camp Knife
2) 1/8" runt or ED Karda in burlap micarta
3) 1/8" or 3/32" Bushboot in a nice wood.

But all I will do is run alongside and yell "Ain't they purdy!"

Bill

Lol, imagine that! Actually the burlap is something already figured in on my next one...though still wondering what color it will be :)

Excellent.:D

I have it on good authority that Andy has a pile of burlap material. . .:thumbup:

Excellent.:D

I have it on good authority that Andy has a pile of burlap material. . .:thumbup:

I like the green, and I like the maroon...but I'm leaning toward the coffee bag color because I like coffee ;) Plus I'll show it off at a local coffee shop where the manager has become a friend who gives me some of the bags that the coffee comes in :)

If I had any money I'd be looking for a lacewood bush boot in 1/8 and a camp knife with emerald burlap and black bolsters. I have also been loving the two recent knives done with micarta bolsters and 1/4 inch pins...maybe a bush crafter with wenge scales and natural micarta bolsters with the big pins?

I did not get a response from anybody the last time so maybe you guys can help me today before today's batch!

The Bushcraft Dagger in scandi from the last batch - is this a new design? Did I miss something??

I did not get a response from anybody the last time so maybe you guys can help me today before today's batch!

The Bushcraft Dagger in scandi from the last batch - is this a new design? Did I miss something??

Sorry man, I missed the question and I guess Andy did too. Andy initially did it as one of his dagger grinds and called it the Sneaky Pete, and old term for a Green Beret. Then he did the scandi one later and says he is working on some convex ones. Having a fondness for tactical knives I am wanting one with a convex grind with beveled swedge. Knowing my luck and since I couldn't possibly afford it...one will probably pop up this week. Hence the above mentioned torture :)

Thanks! Do you have any info about handle thickness (comparible to ...) and blade length? I love that design in scandi!

Thanks! Do you have any info about handle thickness (comparible to ...) and blade length? I love that design in scandi!

Sorry, but no. I haven't had the chance to handle one yet. I keep meaning to drive down to his shop and check one out but haven't yet, and haven't had the funds to buy when the daggers popped up. I do hope to get to check one out at Blade.

Thanks M! I wish I could come to Blade but it is a long way from Calgary with flight, accommodation etc. Maybe next year!?

If I had any money I'd be looking for a lacewood bush boot in 1/8 and a camp knife with emerald burlap and black bolsters. I have also been loving the two recent knives done with micarta bolsters and 1/4 inch pins...maybe a bush crafter with wenge scales and natural micarta bolsters with the big pins?

Yeah, those natural bolsters have been looking good lately. An emerald and black camp would be really sweet!

Thanks M! I wish I could come to Blade but it is a long way from Calgary with flight, accommodation etc. Maybe next year!?

No problem man. Yeah, I could see where that could get costly. It's costing us over $1,200.00 to go this year and it's only an hour drive south...

Hmmm, guess I spoke too soon. I need to head out and do some more photos soon and still no sign of Andy yet. I guess I'll check it out when I get back in.

Sorry bro. I saw your question and totaly failed to answer it. Yikes. Its the sneaky pete without the tactical implications. As I was making it I realized the handle is so comfy, and pretty that the knife is a really nice one for Bushcrafting too. I'm doing some convex ones now also. I'm sold on it. I want to do one with a longer blade also.

Brian nailed it, of course.

Sorry bro. I saw your question and totaly failed to answer it. Yikes. Its the sneaky pete without the tactical implications. As I was making it I realized the handle is so comfy, and pretty that the knife is a really nice one for Bushcrafting too. I'm doing some convex ones now also. I'm sold on it. I want to do one with a longer blade also.

Brian nailed it, of course.

Bro, a tactical design with your grinds and ergos and you think I'm going to miss watching how that develops lol? That is now a serious Fiddleback grail for me! I've always felt tactical designs should be more comfortable and be more functional in bushcrafting. Hell, soldiers spend a lot more time actually using their knives as knives than they do sticking people with them, it's just with their job...it just sort of comes with the territory...

I'm in the same boat as Bill for a couple more weeks probably, although if the "perfect" knife pops up in the next few weeks I might have to go for it. I'm needing me some burlap, so it's good to hear that there's probably quite a few coming at some point in the future.

Models on the top of my priority list include Hiking Buddy, Arete, Woodsman, Camp Knife.

I'm still trying to swing it to make it out to blade so hopefully I can check out the selection in person and meet some of the folks.

Back