• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

what and where is the largest knife shop in the US?

Hi,

Where is the largest knife shop in the USA? The one place where all the knife nuts would love to be able to visit?

That would be Smoky Mt. Knife Works, Sevierville, Tennessee. Nice to stop and browse, but I can't ever find a "deal" there!

Something tells me that BLADE HQ would be a lot of fun to take a leisurely tour in
with a healthy Credit Card...

Something tells me that BLADE HQ would be a lot of fun to take a leisurely tour in
with a healthy Credit Card...

Jill is probably correct about SMKW being the largest.
Never been, but I have heard it is huge. Also houses the NKCA museum.

I agree BladeHQ would likely be fun, as would New Graham.

Plaza Cutlery. After that House of Blades in Dallas.

Last edited:
Smokey Mtn Knife Works has a terrible selection IMO.
Tons and tons of cheap stuff. And overpriced cheap stuff at that.

Smokey Mtn Knife Works has a terrible selection IMO.
Tons and tons of cheap stuff. And overpriced cheap stuff at that.

They do have a ton of cheap stuff, but they also have all the standard good manufacturers--Spyderco, ESEE, ZT, Great Eastern Cutlery, Case, etc.

Back on topic, I moved to Knoxville, about 30 minutes from SMKW, this past August and went there the first weekend I was here :D. As said, they have a lot of junk, but they have a lot of good stuff, too. It's got to be 5-10x larger than any other knife store I've been to. If you've been to LL Bean's store in Freeport or something like a Cabela's, it's around that size.

I don't like SMKW, everything they have that is decent costs way more than I can get it for elsewhere. I also don't like the way they have all these not so friendly salespeople standing around watching your every move. (when you buy something they stick it in a little basket and take it up front, where you can't have it until you pay and leave) They have a very nice place, but the entire operation to me is little more than a cutlery tourist trap, designed to maximize profits. (plus TN, sales tax is 9.25%, so factor that cost in)

SMKW is the largest, says so on their sign, :D I like it, I agree I don't typically like salespeople asking if they can help me every five seconds or watching my every move but they have aways been friendly about it with me, the "safety" conscious aspect to it, like taking you knife(s) to the front where you buy it before you leave, is kinda odd but at leas you don't have to carry it around, there is a lot to see after all. There is lots of cheap/pos stuff there but you can find almost anything we talk about here to although they don't have benchmade but for a few autos. From what I've been told they had a falling out with the sales rep, just gossip mind you.

When we head down to TN it's about the only chance I get to see a knife in person before I buy it so I like it, for that reason, but like every store nowadays things are more expensive:eek: then you can find online.

I don't like SMKW, everything they have that is decent costs way more than I can get it for elsewhere. I also don't like the way they have all these not so friendly salespeople standing around watching your every move. (when you buy something they stick it in a little basket and take it up front, where you can't have it until you pay and leave) They have a very nice place, but the entire operation to me is little more than a cutlery tourist trap, designed to maximize profits. (plus TN, sales tax is 9.25%, so factor that cost in)

Nicely sums up everything I've heard about it.
I've never felt any strong desire to go there, though some seem to love it...I guess its the size thing.

I rarely buy from then online, unless they are having a sale and offering free shipping. Even then the price is just "ok" and not really outstanding.

I live right beside it and really enjoy the place. Their knife sharpening dept is really good and they just charge a buck for each blade. I like playing with the knives :)

Red Hill Cutlery in KY has a nice big selection as well as Sheppard Hills Cutlery. Sheppard Hills has 3 facilities in MO & 1 in Ky. If you ever get to the Amish country in Lancaster, PA - you'll need to stop into 'Country Knives', Brian Huegel has a very nice selection too (just outside of Intercourse on Rt 340).

SMKW would be the largest in almost every way, positive and negative take your pick, be careful,use your imagination!!

I like SMKF. The higher prices are worth it. A good place to something of quality that you would rather inspect first hand. Maybe gransfors brooks, spyderco, and mora of sweden are crap. I don't know. Mora knives are certainly cheap there, as are Condor machetes, and spydercos lower end (the end that I like). But they have them there, ready to inspect and purchase. You might pay a few dollars more for a Mora there, but it's one that you inspected. Same with an axe. You can see and feel the wood grain, the edge, to make sure it's the one that you want. They have been very friendly and knowledgeable to me.

How hasn't received a knife or tool that you wish you would have just paid a few dollars more and got it in person? I am thinking about my brand new, CS special forces shovel right now. Never used. With a dinged up blunt edge and chips in the wood. An ugly thing for sure.

I've only been to three knife shops, all small but they were fun to visit, and I spent a lot of time going back through perusing.

Country Knives in Lancaster PA; Edgeworks in Frederick MD and Willey Knives in Greenwood DE.

Bass Pro Shops and Cabelas are both big stores, with a healthy knife selection. I know prices at SMKW are horrible, but I would still like to take a vacation down there. I figure one day to look at the museum, and one day to look at the store.

Forget the Smokey Mountains... ;) :D

I am surprised plaza cutlery was mentioned. They are a small knife store. But they are in a very nice shopping mall. As such, they cater to a knife crowed that only wants the best. A good place to buy a Sebenza, Strider, or the like if you are so inclined.

Back