What is your chess rating? Fav opening? Wanna play?

To play nothing but engine advised excellent and best moves after a failed castling attempt, leading to a win, proves this person’s ineptitude and inability to think ahead.

To play nothing but engine advised excellent and best moves after a failed castling attempt, leading to a win, proves this person’s ineptitude and inability to think ahead.
Yep, it's very suspicious when someone on that level starts playing like a Grand Master.

Here is the chess game I bought back in 1985. I wasn't confident it would play well, and it cost around $100, as I recall. A lot of money, and it felt like a gamble to purchase it. But I was based at NAS Whidbey Island at the time, and needed something to help fight off the boredom. As it turns out, this game is awesome, and it plays great. I haven't used it in many years, but I'm sure it would work great if I put some batteries in it.

original.jpg

I only noticed this thread recently, chess is a great game.

On cheating, I think the problem of cheaters at the lower levels is a bit overstated. If you read some of the forums on chess.com you will regularly see people saying things like they don't play much online chess anymore because of the number of cheaters there are. The obvious cheaters tend to get caught but I think the whole cheating thing gets in people's heads and they start suspecting everyone. I think the truth is that anyone past the beginner skill level is capable of playing the odd game with no mistakes which tend to be labelled as cheating by a lot of players. But even if some of them are cheating, they either don't do it often enough to get flagged, or they know not to play obvious computer moves that a normal person wouldn't play. I think it is far rarer to see cheating at this level than what some people make out.

At the higher levels though it is a huge problem particularly in online chess. Most grandmasters have varying strength of opinions but pretty much all of them know that there is no way to stop it if someone cheats in a way that isn't obvious. If anyone is interested, check out podcasts and youtube videos from the last 2 years(probably since the Hans Niemann situation) from any of the top players and most if not all of them describe at one time or another that the situation is an existential threat to online chess:

C-Squared podcast with GM Christian Chirila and GM Fabiano Caruana(former world championship challenger) being one where they discuss all sorts of things in chess including cheating.

Popular streamer/youtuber GM Hikaru Nakamura who is probably top 5 currently and top 10 alltime in chess says that even if someone gave him one hint per game he would dominate because of how competitive top level games are. You are never going to catch that using algorithms or 30 or even 300 people analyzing games.

GM Daniil Dubov has stated that he could easily cheat without being caught and I believe he has started doing just that on an alt account to prove his point. I believe his aim is to drive better anti-cheating methods in case anyone was wondering.

There are also people like former world champion GM Vladimir Kramnik who is so distrustful of online chess that he has more or less started a war with chess.com naming a heap of suspicious(to him) masters who seem to have "interesting" results online as he puts it. GM Gata Kamsky is also one who seems to accuse every player who plays unusually well against him. The list goes on and on. There is definitely a lot of distrust of online chess at the master/GM level particularly where there are prize events like Titled Tuesday.

Anyway sorry for the long rant, I'm a bit of a chess fan. BTW, David congrats for getting to 1100 on chess.com that's a solid accomplishment.

Levy Rozman just made a video recently talking about how rampant cheating accusations are probably more of a problem than cheating itself. But I don't really follow top level chess, aside from peripherally, so there is may be more to the cheating aspect there than I considered.

congrats for getting to 1100 on chess.com that's a solid accomplishment.

Thank you for the kind words! I've been bobbing above and below that for the last few days. Got up to 1120. Sitting at 1089 at the moment of this post. I am up to the 1100 mark in Eric Rosen's speed run though, so I will be watching the next episode with great attention.

Levy Rozman just made a video recently talking about how rampant cheating accusations are probably more of a problem than cheating itself. But I don't really follow top level chess, aside from peripherally, so there is may be more to the cheating aspect there than I considered.

Thank you for the kind words! I've been bobbing above and below that for the last few days. Got up to 1120. Sitting at 1089 at the moment of this post. I am up to the 1100 mark in Eric Rosen's speed run though, so I will be watching the next episode with great attention.
I like Eric Rosen, very calm and funny guy. Very instructive as well.

I find Daniel Naroditsky quite good too. He has done a few speedruns in the last few years where he goes into depth about openings, lines and ideas after and during each game.

I feel like I have learnt a lot from both of them.

Daniel Naroditsky quite good too. He has done a few speedruns in the last few years where he goes into depth about openings, lines and ideas after and during each game

Excellent! I will check it out!

The theme continued, but with a twist!

1708058417543.png

The theme continued, but with a twist!

View attachment 2497236
I was curious so I checked out the game and you played well, but yes it happens from time to time. People just don't want to believe that their opponent can have a good game every once in a while. I once was accused of cheating during a game where my opponent just straight up hung his bishop on move 4 or something and when I pointed it out to him he said "it wasn't a blunder I was trying to trick you". No matter what I said he just couldn't believe I wasn't cheating.

Out of interest I checked out your opponent's games and he has a recent game where he won in 20 moves with 96% accuracy. So evidently he can play a perfect game without cheating but someone else with a similar rating and skill level can't. Hmmmm

Wow he slaughtered that guy

I reached 1098 in rapid last summer. But then fell below that for the rest of the year, and didn't hit 1100 until this year. But since then I have actually dropped below 1000, and climbed back up to the 1100 mark twice! Gotta get a foothold in this next skill segment of chess players I find myself in, so it's finally time for another lesson with Kestony, if he'll have me.

Chess-up-and-down.jpg

Back