What Kukri would you take if you were going to war?

Or if you knew you were going directly into harms way? A friend of mine that's in the Army and I were just talking about this the other day while he was checking out my KLVUK, and he mentioned that he would have gladly carried it when he was in Afghanistan. What do you guys think?

Busse KZII with a tac sheath for toughness, weight and carry options. I would mod an HI kukri to my liking, those are tried and true and seen plenty of action in that part of the world.

Make mine a Foxy Folly. My son the Marine was enamored with my Tamang, it appealed to him.

From the ones I own a Gurkha Army Kukri, if I had the choice one of Thamar's Yek/Dui Chirra's.

My ASTK or M43, would be equally capable. Listening to my grandfathers stories sitting on his lap, a decorated WWI vet about the Gurkhas, either would do.

Last edited:
Jens it looky like an M43 to me.

I'm with Bawanna, my 16.5" Foxy Folly all the way, and the Tamang is a very very close second.

Well, complicated answer from me, but of the kukris I've handled, I really like my Thamar Yek Chirra best, but if I were to take a kukri to war, I'd want a non-reflective blade, and preferably rust-proof. So for the sake of weather-proofing, I'd want something with a cerakoted blade, cerakoted bolster and buttcap, and micarta handle. However HI doesn't work in cerakote or micarta, so I'm not certain how I'd go about doing it. I don't anticipate going to war soon though, so I'm not worried.

After carrying a couple during the late hostilities in SE Asia, I would carry my Katunje. Not overly large, fit well in a zippered pocket in a flight suit or survival vest, not get in the way of the flight controls at any point.

I would take my Lok BAS, light and fast, but robust.

Second, would be my Lok Villager M-43, lighter than average, 18", and robust.

Third, would be my Rajkumar Bashpati, robust, but feels so light in hand, due to it's extraordinary balance.

I like Bookies style. If I had a fully equipped Huey, I doubt I'd need a knife but I'd still have a Foxy Folly with me and the Katunje too for that matter.

I think it depends on the knife. Like all HI models, the M43 varies a lot from one knife to another. I think I got lucky with this one and got an M43 that is in my mind's eye an exemplar of the khukuri. Near ideal size, with the curves and proportions spot on. Others that I've seen are pigs in comparison and hold little interest for me.

Back