When is a time that you really wished you had one other tool on your SAK?

johnniet

Gold Member
I used to EDC a smooth, one-hand opening, super-sharp Endela Wharncliffe. Then one day I saw my one-year-old reach for it across the table and decided that it was time for a new SAK.
Unfortunately, this will not be used for month-long retreats in the wilderness, or for travel to exotic countries. If I am lucky enough to have any of that happen, that will be my chance to get a new full-size SAK. This is for my boring-ass suburban life, trips around town, and days out like when we went to the zoo recently and couldn’t find the plastic knives.
So the temptation is to go light. On the other hand, I just know that if I go too light, there will be a time when I really wish I had the Phillips screwdriver, multi-purpose hook, or whatever.
When’s a time you got caught helpless for lack of that one tool on your SAK?

Last edited:

When I need a file. I use files a lot on wood, plastic, and soft metals (typically brass and aluminum). Not a lot of SAK models include the file unfortunately, so I've had to resort to modding and custom building for my needs.

I just know that if I go too late, there will be a time when I really wish I had the Phillips screwdriver, multi-purpose hook, or whatever.

As many will eagerly point out, the flat driver on the tip of the can opener will do for a phillips driver in a pinch.

When I need a file. I use files a lot on wood, plastic, and soft metals (typically brass and aluminum). Not a lot of SAK models include the file unfortunately, so I've had to resort to modding and custom building for my needs.

As many will eagerly point out, the flat driver on the tip of the can opener will do for a phillips driver in a pinch.
Once or twice I have really needed the file while traveling, but if that comes up here, I’ll probably have something else. Same with the wood saw. But I have used the hook to get the “shoelace” out of a jacket hood.
I also have specialty small screwdrivers in a few different places.

Once or twice I have really needed the file while traveling, but if that comes up here, I’ll probably have something else. Same with the wood saw. But I have used the hook to get the “shoelace” out of a jacket hood.
I also have specialty small screwdrivers in a few different places.
You may do fine with a 2 layer Compact or a 3 layer Climber, then. Both have the scissors layer which has the back side multi-purpose parcel hook. The Compact is a bit pricey for a 2 layer knife though, so you may want to opt for a Climber instead. The Compact vs Climber debate is an old argument with good points for each side.

Sort of. I wish the picknicker was prettier. I have been hunting for a fancy going out knife with a food cutting blade, bottle opener corkscrew.

I know the wine master exists but ot is prohibitively expensive

Sort of. I wish the picknicker was prettier. I have been hunting for a fancy going out knife with a food cutting blade, bottle opener corkscrew.

I know the wine master exists but ot is prohibitively expensive
I think Opinel makes something like what you’re thinking of.

I can't think of one.

There was the time my Vespa motor scooter conked out on me on a dirt road in the middle of nowhere. It ends up the vibration of the rough road made the screw on the positive terminal of the battery loosen. The can opener SD tip of the tinker made a great Phillips driver and I was back on the road in a few minutes, The battery compartment on a Vespa 150 was too cramped to use the back mounted Phillips. Can opener had to do it.

Another time, the control/trottle of the electric trolling motor on our canoe loosened up and became unoperatable. The Phillips screw was deeply recessed so the SD tip of the tinker could not reach in there to tighten it up. So the SD tip of the classic was used. Fixed the problem and I didn't have to paddle all the way to the other end of a long and winding lake against the wind.

I don't think I;ve ever been let down by a SAK. The odd shaped tools can be used for other things than obvious, so I always managed to get by. Way ,WAY better than a dedicated knife with no tools, just sharp blades good for nothing but cutting

Last edited:
I have retired my old Woodsman (possible forerunner of the Huntsman? -- same tools but no toothpick, tweezers, or key ring) in favor of the Fiieldmaster, which substitutes the Phillips driver for the corkscrew. I'm generally happy with that setup, but occasionally encounter a jammed knot and wish I had the corkscrew! I wish there was another SAK tool that was good for working on knots like that. (A marlinspike is the obvious answer, but I wouldn't want to lose the awl.)

Which makes me wonder... Could the parcel hook be modified to be useful for this? Maybe file a sharper point on the end of the hook? Any thoughts?

Only time I can think of was between Huntsman's, when carrying an Evo Grip 14.
The wood saw would have been handy (and faster than 'whittlin the offending branch off beaver style) more than 3 times. (At the time I hadn't inherited the Hercules and Huntsman yet. He's still here, he just gave them to me early to make sure I got them.)

Current Mini Champ; Huntsman: and Hercules trio covers all my uses and then some.
I ain't needed the Hercules' two phillips screwdrivers (yet) for instance.

I ain't needed the Hercules' two phillips screwdrivers (yet) for instance.

Speaking of the phillips driver, I find myself hesitating to use the ones on my SAKs just because I don't want them to get chewed up/worn. I'm actually thinking of taking one of my custom SAKs with the inline Phillips driver and just sharpening it into an inline awl.

I have retired my old Woodsman (possible forerunner of the Huntsman? -- same tools but no toothpick, tweezers, or key ring) in favor of the Fiieldmaster, which substitutes the Phillips driver for the corkscrew. I'm generally happy with that setup, but occasionally encounter a jammed knot and wish I had the corkscrew! I wish there was another SAK tool that was good for working on knots like that. (A marlinspike is the obvious answer, but I wouldn't want to lose the awl.)

Which makes me wonder... Could the parcel hook be modified to be useful for this? Maybe file a sharper point on the end of the hook? Any thoughts?
I’ve seen pictures where it shows different uses of the hook and that is one. YMMV.

Speaking of the phillips driver, I find myself hesitating to use the ones on my SAKs just because I don't want them to get chewed up/worn. I'm actually thinking of taking one of my custom SAKs with the inline Phillips driver and just sharpening it into an inline awl.
Have you had bad experience with this in the past? I see the concern, but I bet if you tried it out it would work well for normal stuff.

Have you had bad experience with this in the past? I see the concern, but I bet if you tried it out it would work well for normal stuff.

The inline Philips on my most commonly carried SAK has gotten progressively smaller because every time it gets even slightly blemished from use, I'll basically file it down a little. I was looking at it the other day next to a new one and the difference was noticeable. I'm wondering if maybe the SAK steel is just too soft for a regular use Phillips, and I've been using it too much. If I continue on like this, eventually it will become unusable, and so that's where the idea to turn it into an inline awl came from.

ummm . the awl/punch/reamer (with or without sewing i) can be used as a mini Marlin Spike to un-did tight knots. 😁👍

really wish I had the Phillips screwdriver
Yeah , most missed for sure .

Conversely , I've never actually used the corkscrew on a SAK . But , yes ...I know stuff it could be used for ...theoretically . ;)

ummm . the awl/punch/reamer (with or without sewing i) can be used as a mini Marlin Spike to un-did tight knots. 😁👍
I've thought about that, but the awl on the Fieldmaster is so sharp I would be concerned about cutting into the rope and creating a weak spot. I'll have to give it a (careful) try.

Back