Why does the new software not hold my login?

Assuming you're referring to links to other BF posts:

Most of those links are to the old BF address, which included 'www' in the URL, i.e., 'https://www.bladeforums.com'. The site platform conversion eliminated the 'www', and instead just addressed the new site as 'https://bladeforums.com'. If you get linked to one of those new browser pages and are logged out there, go to the address bar above that page and delete the 'www' from the URL; then hit 'Return' to reconnect. It should take you to the correct linked page in BF, under your own account.

I've been working around it that way, every time I come across those links to older BF posts (which is pretty often). Not sure if the site admins can fix those, or somehow parse the addressing and redirect automatically. Otherwise, it'll likely come down to individual members editing links in their own posts that included the old 'www' addressing scheme for the site. I've been doing some of that, too, when I come across them in my older posts.

David

Well here is what i used. It was after moving to new site. In my signature highlighted a phrase selected the INSERT LINK button and pasted the url from the thread.

It should be showing the full www.bladeforums.com in the URL?

I only see 'https://bladeforums.com/...' when logged in. If I click on any link including the 'www', I'm connected via another page/tab of my browser, and no longer logged in. And the flipside, if I then go the address bar of that new tab, and delete the 'www' from the URL string, the page refreshes to my own theme settings, under my own account. It's weird, but happens this way every time.

If I go to the address bar of the current page I'm viewing (while logged in), and simply add 'www' to the URL string, the same thing happens, though still within the current tab. Page refreshes to default theme, and I'm no longer logged in via my own account.

Don't know if specific browsers are the issue, or contributing to it. But I see the above behavior while using either of Firefox (latest version, 64-bit on Win7) or Chrome (also latest version, 64-bit on Win7). I don't even use Windows' proprietary browsers anymore, so I haven't tried them (IE, etc.)

David

Do you have bladeforums.com bookmarked, or www.bladeforums.com? I can not replicate this in chrome or safari.

Do you have bladeforums.com bookmarked, or www.bladeforums.com? I can not replicate this in chrome or safari.

Prior to the site conversion, I had 'www' in all of my BF bookmarks, which worked for the old site. After the conversion and the upgrade to SSL, they no longer worked for the secure (SSL) site, exhibiting the behavior I described. I then changed them to delete the 'www', as that is the only way I could connect to the secure site and stay logged in.

BTW, in the behavior I described, it's the same whether I'm actually using my bookmarks or not. All of the 'www' URLs get connected as a visitor (not logged in), whereas connecting via links omitting the 'www' works fine under my account, without logging me out. This holds true for any links within BF's own pages, when I click on them; those omitting the 'www' work and keep me logged in, whereas links still showing 'www' connect as a visitor (logged out). The BladeForums logo at top-left of the page, when I hover on that, is still showing the 'www', BTW, with the same results if I click on it to go to the home page for the site.

In looking at the 'Show site information' tab opened up from the icon (letter 'i' with circle around it) next to the address bar in Firefox, the site name is simply shown as 'bladeforums.com'. Not sure if that's meaningful for this issue, but all indications on my side seem to show everything working properly under the site name 'bladeforums.com', instead of 'www.bladeforums.com', where the logged-out issues come up.

David

If your bookmark is for bladeforums.com instead of www.bladeforums.com then you need to update it and log in with the www.

Log out. Clear your cookies. Log in. Update your bookmarks.

Back