Your favorite bushcraft knife with 3 to 5 in. blade?

Not much to add on great blades already posted,
maybe this one for me, a 3.5" blade utility blade made by myself.
2010.05.04.R0020910.JPG

sorry for the same shot I posted in my thread.

ESEE-4
ESEE/DPX H.E.S.T.
ESEE Izula
Fallkniven F1
Fallkniven S1
BRKT Aurora
BRKT Bravo-1
NWA Sierra Scout
Why?Cause they're all superb quality knives from great makers.Functional and beautiful.

For the past couple months I've been using the BHK bushcrafter
DSC01230.jpg

My go to will always be the Sierra Scout or this custom Laconico that I asked Ray to make me
DSC00886.jpg

My overall favourite user of a bushcraft style would have to be the
Fallkniven F1, it feels great in the hand, I love the shape, size design. it's very affordable (I paid $150 shipped)
It really holds an edge on wood, bone etc however VG10 vs stone is not a pretty sight at all. Believe it or not they actually spent 50 designing the blade of that knife. It cuts better than any other knife I own and I have a few busses in my collection.
Here is another I think would be good(it is very expensive though which may be due to the Ray Mears trademark or possibly the fact that the handle is made out of 300 year old wood from Africa that was excavated from a church!

http://www.raymears.com/Bushcraft_Product/743-The-Ray-Mears-Bushcraft-Knife/

It's made out of one of the best high carbon steels, which beats the F1 with one very useful feature... If your lost/stuck in the wilderness and you don't know how or are having trouble making a bow/hand drill and are freezing cold you can use the back of the knife plus the sharp edge of a pebble to start a fire quite easily :)

I really like some of the Bark and River knives also, they have some excellent bush-craft designs and the best handle material selection I have ever encountered. Relatively well priced too.
Gabriel.

I'm diggin my BRKT Kephart and Busse Boss Street these days in that size range. My Kephart is my wilderness blade and the Busse is my Urban Survival blade. The BRKT is nice and thin and does great bushcrafty stuff. The Busse is nice and thick and can pry if need be (Important ability in an urban survival situation).
385197077.jpg

I'd be perfectly happy with any of the ones below....though I'd have to say the green-handled one is my favorite.

DSCN2027.jpg

I'm a little of an odd person, so my bushcraft knife choices are a little off of what many would consider a normal/good bushcraft knife.

My ESEE-3 is one of my favorites and gets carried most often right now.
IMG_0466-1.jpg

My Izula (also by ESEE) gets a ton of use also
IMG_0676.jpg

And my wharncliffe from Bryan Breeden is another of my favorite knives.
IMG_0677.jpg

From Wikipedia:

Bushcraft is about surviving and thriving in the natural environment, and the acquisition of ancient skills and knowledge to do so. Bushcraft skills include; firecraft, tracking, hunting, shelter building.

With that in mind my favourite Bushcraft tool within your size range is my Knatchet. This will do everything from carving a rough spoon and trap parts to chopping poles to make a shelter.....

PC250001-2.jpg

For finer tasks I have yet to find a more comfy tool than this little blade:

PA030005.jpg

at 4 1/2" this is one of my favs. made by an old kansas farmer. ive carried this knife for a few yrs now. takes a great edge, comfy handles. the sheath is not original to the knife-its a "second" pocket clip knife from randall made knives picked up last yr at wanamakers antique arms show-tho the original sheath is a nice pouch style-this one makes it easy for me to run it inside my front pocket and get to the knife quickly tho it is still very secure in my pocket.

bowjampb311.jpg
[/IMG]

I am quite torn by a couple at the moment at I don't want to decide.

One is the super light, skinny (3/32") Anorexic Terrasaur.

IMG_5167.jpg

IMG_5168.jpg

IMG_5169.jpg

And the other is my slim jim.

IMG_4969.jpg

B

From Wikipedia:

Bushcraft is about surviving and thriving in the natural environment, and the acquisition of ancient skills and knowledge to do so. Bushcraft skills include; firecraft, tracking, hunting, shelter building.

With that in mind my favourite Bushcraft tool within your size range is my Knatchet. This will do everything from carving a rough spoon and trap parts to chopping poles to make a shelter.....

PC250001-2.jpg

For finer tasks I have yet to find a more comfy tool than this little blade:

PA030005.jpg

Ray is the man! I really like the look of your "Knatchet" I've never seen or heard of it until now. Where and how much are they going for?
P.S I also like the look of the heat treatment on that little blade,
is it tough/chip resistant?
Best,
Gabriel

A few breeden's I keep coming back to: Bigpaw custom, pathfinder and Cub knife

DSC_0019-9.jpg

DSC_0054-3.jpg

DSC_0013-9.jpg

ESEE-3 & 4

DSC_0017-10.jpg

DSC_0008-16.jpg

Bruce Culberson EDC

DSC_0037-6.jpg

Walter Davis

DSC_0008-12.jpg

I am quite torn by a couple at the moment at I don't want to decide.

One is the super light, skinny (3/32") Anorexic Terrasaur.

IMG_5167.jpg

IMG_5168.jpg

IMG_5169.jpg

And the other is my slim jim.

IMG_4969.jpg

B

Really nice knives you've got there bro,
What is the brand?
they look like bark and river to me.
Gabriel.

Whoops, just now realized that the Izula is a bit short of 3 inches... Oh well, I'm leaving it up because I use it a ton. It's close to 3.

Really nice knives you've got there bro,
What is the brand?
they look like bark and river to me.
Gabriel.

Since he probably won't blow his own horn I will. :) Those are Brian's own brand....Off the Map knives. A few others have posted some of his work in this thread as well.

Back