• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

”Stellar’s Sea Cow and Ironwood Hunter”

For Sale – ”Stellar’s Sea Cow and Ironwood Hunter”

SeacowHunterLeftProfile.jpg

SeacowHunterSpineFileWork.jpg

Another of my mid-sized hunters (7 1/2”) in 1095 High Carbon Steel and a slightly meatier handle. I always differentially heat treat this steel to get a hard, yet workable edge while retaining a springy spine. I’m a fanatic about heat treating so I do it right in my shop. I’ve thrown out hundreds of pounds of steel that didn’t meet my requirements. After I heat treat and regrinding, and before I put handles on, I take each knife through strict edge testing. After the edge passes the brass rod test it goes to work on a piece of 2 X 4 which gets cut into tiny pieces and curls. If all of the testing goes fine, then the handles get added and the knife is completed.

Note: I've posted this piece in a few locations online so the first "I'll take it" gets it. If you're interested, don't wait.

SPECS

OAL: 7 1/2”
Blade: 3 3/8” Hollow Ground
Blade Steel: 1095 High Carbon Steel; Differentially heat treated
File Work: Vine & Thorn along the entire spine
Handle: Ironwood and Stellar’s Sea Cow Rib Bone (They went extinct in 1768 about 40 years after discovery along the Alaskan coast)
Bolster: Brass
Pins: Brass
Sheath: : 6-7oz Premium tooling leather by maker

SeacowHunterLeftHandle.jpg

Although the bone looks rough, it has been sealed with several coats of super glue.

SeacowHunterRIghtProfile.jpg

SeacowHunterRIghtHandle.jpg

SeacowHunterFileWork.jpg

$225 for a short time only ; plus $12.00 Priority Shipping including insurance in the continental U.S.

International sales are very welcome but they must pay the exact shipping costs.

Paypal: paypal@jarrettknives.com

Thanks for taking a look. Please check out my web site as well.

Last edited:
I really like the look of your craftsmanship! That's a beautiful looking knife!

I'm curious about the number of grooves that you have been making in most of your knives handles including this one. Why three grooves instead of two or four? This knive's first groove behind the guard looks like it could accommodate two fingers. Others I've seen appear to be spaced a little different.

I really like the look of your craftsmanship! That's a beautiful looking knife!

I'm curious about the number of grooves that you have been making in most of your knives handles including this one. Why three grooves instead of two or four? This knive's first groove behind the guard looks like it could accommodate two fingers. Others I've seen appear to be spaced a little different.

Hey Woodgood - Thanks for the comments. The finger choils on my knives tend to vary from model to model and some are designed to fit two fingers in one choil and then others are 'three finger' knives where the pinky wraps around the bottom.

When I'm profiling them my OCD shows through a bit. *** Sidenote: My wife loves to rib me that I have OCD but I told her that if I did, it would be called CDO since you'd would need to have the letters in proper order after all - but I digress ;)*** What I mean is that I am constantly checking the finger fit and grinding here and there until it feels just right in the hand. When I design a new pattern I leave the area underneath like a blank canvas and then grind through it until it works. I have medium-large hands so I try to come up with something that I believe will fit almost everyone.

Take care and God Bless -

Back