“Roughing up” G10

Has anyone roughened up G10 scales other than bead blasting them? If so can you post pictures or the process? I’ve only had canvas micarta or res c scales but I’m looking at a user knife with G10 and I’m afraid it may be to slippery when cleaning game in the cold. BTW this is my first post in about two years so it’s good to be back. Thanks!

I don’t know about roughing up g10, but what about selecting canvas micarta instead?

I don’t know about roughing up g10, but what about selecting canvas micarta instead?
If you can convince Jerry to do another run of Saber grind INFIDUs with canvas scales I would get one! I’m looking for this particular knife and one of the ones I found is in G10

The ideal thing to use is a Checkering File (as you would on a rifle stock or pistol grips).

They're not cheap....maybe $50 from Brownell's.

You would just need to decide on how many lines per inch.

Either that or just use a Triangle file and make your scales GROOVY

Yes! I have cut, ground and sanded G-10. If your planned on roughing it up use some 80-120 grit then 220 and chose which you prefer? What’s most important is that G-10 sands into little fish hooks that etch like crazy and once they get into your lungs, can only be removed after you assume room temperature ..:eek: Nasty stuff! I won’t work with it anymore. Buy a real respirator, half mask and wear an old long sleeve you can throw out & pants to wash immediately! Yeah! It’s bad. You might just feel itchy afterwords, but the crap we are exposed to adds up later in life!:D

If you can convince Jerry to do another run of Saber grind INFIDUs with canvas scales I would get one! I’m looking for this particular knife and one of the ones I found is in G10

They come up now and then. If you wait a while you'll see one on the Busse exchange here or elsewhere on the web.

Also - wouldn't a full height flat grind infidu be better for processing animals? I've processed a roo with a saber grind Infidu and it works but it isn't the best slicer in the world.

Has anyone roughened up G10 scales other than bead blasting them? If so can you post pictures or the process? I’ve only had canvas micarta or res c scales but I’m looking at a user knife with G10 and I’m afraid it may be to slippery when cleaning game in the cold. BTW this is my first post in about two years so it’s good to be back. Thanks!

I haven't roughed any up myself, but I did find that after smoothing the machining off of some G10 scales that, as counterintuitive as it would seem, it almost stuck in my hand better than grooved scales. And when wet or sweaty, even more so. That result surprised me enough that I tried on multiple occasions purposely wetting the grip, to confirm. Even had a friend test the difference between machined and smooth, both dry and wet, and he agreed.

Just my personal anecdote, but some food for thought.

I very lightly sanded the scales on my South Fork with some wet automotive sandpaper, 220 or 320 grit. This didn't change the appearance, but did rough them up just enough to make them less slick. They grab a little bit now almost "sticky." Phil Wilson suggested this years ago on the Spyderco forum, if needed.

The warnings about this stuff are serious though, you don't want g10 dust in your lungs or anywhere else.

Back