0.070" AEB-L source

I was wondering if anybody had a source for 0.070" AEB-L. It sounds like Aldo is going to be out for some time and has no plans for nitro-v in that size either. I use it quite a bit and am kinda at a loss for what to do. I checked AKS but they don't stock it either. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Chuck at AKS says he's planning to get more, but not sure when. Like ya'll, I'm looking forward to somebody stocking it. I ordered the last strip from USA, but they backordered - hoping they'll have it in another few weeks.

Ken H>

According to who I spoke with at steel baron it will be next year before they stock it again

Next year? Bummer! If "The Baron" can't get it before next year, the odds of anyone else getting before next are slim to none I would expect.... Big BUMMER!!

Next year? Bummer! If "The Baron" can't get it before next year, the odds of anyone else getting before next are slim to none I would expect.... Big BUMMER!!
My thoughts exactly...

Unless there are quantities available direct from uddeholm that are just not enough for him to mess with.

I have a couple of sheets of old Uddeholm AEB-L. They are 2mm thick(.078), might be willing to let them go for the right price.

Hoss

This is why I buy three or more sheets of whatever I get from Aldo in things like AEB-L and the Hitachi Blue when he has it. I still have both on hand today because I did that.
Same for 1084, when it is in stock, buy several bars (or 10 bars if you use it often). You will thank yourself when everyone is saying, "Where can I get 1084???"
Buy once cry once.

Last edited:
Next year as in 2018? Has the .072 stuff fallen out of favor for making damascus? That is all that I have ever used because the .095 and .130 came out long after I bought a big pile of 15N20 and 1084. I double it up with 1.5 and 1 x 1/4 1084. If I was using 1/8 1084, it would be close to the ideal size for that application.

The only reason that I didn't buy some of that Blue #2 is that I had a little bit of 115W8 in a size more suitable for kitchen knives. That was a mistake in hindsight as now, neither are reasonably available to us.
This is why I buy three or more sheets of whatever I get from Aldo in things like AEB-L and the Hitachi Blue when he has it. I still have both on hand today because I did that.

Buy once cry once.

I have a couple of sheets of old Uddeholm AEB-L. They are 2mm thick(.078), might be willing to let them go for the right price.

Hoss
Not sure I could be a buyer of whole sheets but I appreciate the thought.

Same for 1084, when it is in stock, buy several bars (or 10 bars if you use it often). You will thank yourself when everyone is saying, "Where can I get 1084???"
Buy once cry once.
Lessons learned. Although I don't think I could swing steel purchases that big even if I had the foresight to do it. I will definitely up my quantities as much as possible in the future though.

Not sure I could be a buyer of whole sheets but I appreciate the thought.

Josh, I have some .095 that I can surface grind down for you if you need a little bit of .070.

Hoss

Back