0350 Torsion Bar

It broke, again. That's the third time this year.:( I will get a new one with the warranty, but is there any way to prevent breaks? Or do I just need to use it as a manual?

Trying to figure out what you're doing to break them myself? :confused: I've never heard of or seen someone go through that many torsion bars before in ANY assisted knife.

can't believe you've broken 3, that is highly unusual. :confused:

that being said, the 0350 is much more enjoyable as a manual. i run both of mine without the torsion bar and absolutely love them. there is no need for an assist on a knife that opens as smoothly as the 0350. :thumbup:

Yea, I am a bit surprised too. I wonder if the cavity for the torsion bar was machined incorrectly? I am not abusing it in any way, so I am clueless.

Yea, I am a bit surprised too. I wonder if the cavity for the torsion bar was machined incorrectly? I am not abusing it in any way, so I am clueless.

If that were the case, then we'd be hearing about it much more often. The only thing that comes to mind are:
The torsion bar wasn't heat treated properly, you're not installing it correctly, or the knife is open and closed repeatedly to the point where the steel bar fractures due to heat from bending. :foot:
The plot thickens.

Last edited:
My torsion bar broke awhile ago, and I have no plans of replacing it.

I've broken 2 torsion bars within a week.

If you constantly play with your knife, compressing and releasing the spring, the spring will heat up (or something) and fail much quicker than if you opened/closed it sparingly.
I like to play with my knives, so I've eventually decided that torsion bars are not for me.

I've only had torsion bars fail while successively opening/closing my knife.

Edit: The knife I'm referring to is the Kershaw Avalanche.

Last edited:
I learned not to play with it as much after the first two. I still do play with it, but not to the point that I would expect it to break. Operative word being expect. How much is too much? Is flicking for a minute or two every few hours/days enough to cause a break?

I don't own a 0350, but I've never broken a torsion bar. And I play with my Blur a lot.

Since it's already broken, why don't you give manual mode a try?

I learned not to play with it as much after the first two. I still do play with it, but not to the point that I would expect it to break. Operative word being expect. How much is too much? Is flicking for a minute or two every few hours/days enough to cause a break?

Obviously I believe you've already answered your question with 3 broken torsion bars. :D

3 good lord :eek: yep looks like you need to go manual or give the poor torsoin bars a break:D

The knife opens almost as easily without the torsion bar. You might as well just leave it out and get addicted to manually flipping it the way I just did with mine :p

Just get another one, and try again. It doesn't cost you anything but an email or phone call.

My 350 torsion bar just snapped the other day. I'm going to try it de-assisted for awhile to see how that feels before trying to acquire a new torsion bar. My only real problem now is that the blade centering is atrocious. No matter how much I tweak it, I just can't get it centered.

So far I'm liking it as a manual, though.

Wow i have opened my 350 thousands of times and the first thousand was prolly in the first week. Never had one break, i like it as a flipper and don't see how anyone can install one incorrectly they only seem to go in one way, do you grease them when installing?

I wonder if pivot tension has anything to do with torsion bar failures.

I prefer a tighter pivot. On an assisted knife, I tighten the pivot until the opening action just barely reaches lock engagement.

I am glad I don't have some of you peoples luck! I have had to replace 1 tortion bar to date and it was from one that sat for a long time closed in the box.

Kershaw themselves have said their torsion bars are tested to the point that it can allow 10,000 openings. Something may be wrong with your 0350, I suggest you send it in if you want your 0350 to be assisted.

Back