1,000th post giveaway: black mamba and Bigfattyt are winners

Hi there Doug, great stories here, and a great give-away kind Sir!.....this isnt an entry as I didnt grow up with knives unfortunately, but just wanted to say good on you!

Doesn't have to be a story from childhood, Duncan, just about how you were introduced to carrying a knife, or how you have passed that on to others.

The first traditional folder I had was given to me by my grandfather. It was a small Tree brand stockman back when I was about 11 (not really sure; it's been a long time). My grandfather lived on the Little River near Reedville, VA and the knife was purchased at the general store at Sunnybank, not far from grandfather's home. My father's family were fishermen and farmers and I have very fond memories of those times. I carved my first boat from a piece of pine 2X4. I wish I knew what happened to the knife and the boat.

The first slip joint I purchased for myself was a two blade Imperial (most likely) Barlow. It came shaving sharp out of the box and was a pretty good knife for what I spent on it. I don't know what happened to it either, but these two knives are what made me want a pocketknife in my pocket.

When I was in school, all the boys had pocketknives. Things have sure changed...

On through most of my adolescent years and younger adulthood, I carried Schrade stockman knives and the occasional trapper; the 194OT being the one I carried the most. It probably has had more to do with me liking single blade slipjoints than any other knife.

Anyway, count me in on this one. Great stories everyone!!

Ed J

Not an entry but congrats on 1k Doug!!

My dad always carried a SAK with him (one of the models with pliers). The last knife my grandfather carried was a Schrade LB5 that I have stored away safely. When I would go fishing with my dad, I carried one of my grandpas older no name lockbacks. It wasn't something I would buy now but it worked fine to cut bait back then. When I first needed to start carrying a knife every day, I went to SAKs first. I now carry a SAK or Leatherman on my keys with a traditional in my pocket. I've given SAK Classics along with small S-biners to all my family members and they now carry them on their keys. I also gave peanuts to my sisters but they don't really use them... They're more likely to use the SAK on their keys, my CSC stockman, or the grape #25 I just gifted one of them.

I was introduced to pocket knives by my grandfather who was watchmaker, he always carried a small pen knife in his pocket which he used to open the back plates of wrist watch in order to fix it. I used to spend a lot of time in his small shop when I was kid and there was nothing more that I wanted than a pocket knife. This urge never stopped :)
Mike

Just got back on the forum and noticed that my last post was #998, so I am officially closing this giveaway with this post and will be back in a moment to announce the winners. Thanks everyone for sharing your stories!

The two numbers that random.org spit out were 6 and 7, so that means black mamba and Bigfattyt are the winners.

PM me with your mailing addresses, and let me know your preference on the two knives. If you both select the same one, I'll do another lot to decide who gets what.

Doesn't have to be a story from childhood, Duncan, just about how you were introduced to carrying a knife, or how you have passed that on to others.

Ok my friend, first of all I gotta say congrats to the worthy winners, as they have won themselves a couple of very decently made knives that are going to keep giving pleasure for at least another lifetime.

And Doug...since you popped by here my friend..man what a worthy, most welcome Traditionalist you have been-thank you for that Sir.

My first memory of a knife in our family was my brother when he came home to stay at our house( he left at a very early age ) for the weekend, he bought home a Imperial Wildcat....its a folder friends, but not one you'd want to carry lol..its a bulky ugly beast-but hey-he was around 14, I was 9..when I saw it I was spell bound and wanted it badly, but of course he said no, but I remember him showing me how to open it without cutting myself, my lovely Brother is gone now, and I now own that very knife, I wish to dear God I could give it back to him-but hey...this place would be pretty crowded eh? if we could have that choice.

i have collected many knives over the years, and fixed blades were my fix, when friends would come over-they would ask if I could spare some time to show them my knives-so I would create a spread that would totally cover our double bed, packed neatly in order, and just let them loose oooing and aaaahhhhing.
I have always had people notice me carrying a Traditional since I was hooked into them-( I only own a few fixed blades now...used to own a good 500 or so ) and I am close to many good people, and many of those people now carry a Traditional-if not 3 or 4, that funnily enough used to belong to me, but man is it just great seeing a truly appreciative persons face just light up-Ive even seen tears, so to me giving is most certainly receiving... receiving a bit of a buzz, because I know what it is like to receive a beautiful knife from one of our Traditional knife carrying friends right here!

Congratz to the winners .. thank you for the chance, Doug :) A very generous GA.

Kind regards
Andi

Thanks!

My phone won't let me open my inbox to send you a pm . I will send one when I get home. First choice would be the black sawcut, but if the other winer wants that one, no need for a drawing, I would also be more than happy with the Boker as well.

Jeff said he would take either, so I'll send the Ranger to you and the Tree Brand to Jeff.

I'll get them in the mail tomorrow and PM both of you with USPS delivery confirmation numbers.

Congrats to all--Doug, Black Mamba, and Bigfattyt!

This forum is must reading for me at the end of the work day...thanks!

Back