10/22 takedown anyone?

mykel m

Gold Member
I got an email from Ruger the other day about their new takedown 10/22 & thought I'd spread the news for those that haven't heard yet & might be interested.
Pretty cool & about time they did this I'd say.
It looks to be really easy & quick to take down & just as quick to reassemble.Very nice.
And the repeatability of zero is pretty impressive too.
I like that it's stainless & comes with it's own pack/carrying case,but just a couple of padded sleeves would be nice for keeping it in the BOB IMO.

This is going to give my Savage 24C a real run for the money for a spot in the BOB,though I do like having the option of 20 ga. with the 24C & already have the Savage.;)But what the hell,another toy/tool won't hurt.:)
So..what do ya'll think?

Here's a link with some videos..

http://www.ruger.com/products/ruger1022Takedown/extras.html

That is too sweet. I also have the Savage 24C model, but when that takedown model 1022 pops up locally,, I'll pick one up.....The 24c in my opinion is way more valuble than a 1022 in a survivial situation but I've been wanting a takedown 22 for a long time..The Henry survivial was close but I ended up letting mine go..

Its hard hitting a rabbit or dove on the move in PA with a rimfire..20 ga #6s puts them down..

I saw one at the gun show Saturday. Interesting. I have a Papoose and the Ruger seems heavier. I will never part with my Savage 24C. It just fits the bill for a bush bumming firearm.

Nice, but decades late. I love take down rifles, and bought a little Browning take down auto back in 1969. In 1972 I bought a take down Marlin 39M. My Marlin papoose was a decent little gun, but just not up to the standards of the Browning and Marlin lever action. I wish Ruger had got on the stick 25 years ago when I was still young enough to go extensively backpacking. From the video, it looks like it uses a very similar mechanism to the Browning with the twist take down.

Hey Jackknife, I just got the Papoose a couple of months ago. I really like it so far, but I do not know much about firearms. I was wondering what you think the Papoose is lacking.

On the new Ruger, It looks pretty neat but I wonder what it weighs. The weight of the Papoose is what lead me to my purchase of it.

According the the Ruger website, the Papoose is almost a pound and a half lighter than the 10/22 takedown. I will stick with my Papoose.

Had my hands on one yesterday at the gun show . Push the lever, quarter turn, pull apart , Slick
Roy

I've paid for a Papoose that is backordered..., I'm thinking about going over to the gun store and move my paid money (plus another $50-60 more) for the 10/22 takedown. The Ruger takedown is said to be very solid with very small group in target.

http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-1022TD.htm

I've paid for a Papoose that is backordered..., I'm thinking about going over to the gun store and move my paid money (plus another $50-60 more) for the 10/22 takedown. The Ruger takedown is said to be very solid with very small group in target.

http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-1022TD.htm

That is too sweet. I also have the Savage 24C model, but when that takedown model 1022 pops up locally,, I'll pick one up.....The 24c in my opinion is way more valuble than a 1022 in a survivial situation but I've been wanting a takedown 22 for a long time..The Henry survivial was close but I ended up letting mine go..

Its hard hitting a rabbit or dove on the move in PA with a rimfire..20 ga #6s puts them down..
Yep,in a survival situation I'll take the 24C any day.
I like that the 20ga barrel is IC choked,perfect for slugs.
Not perfect for flying/running game,but doable,you just need to be closer.
I nailed many bats with my first one in my younger days.

I saw one at the gun show Saturday. Interesting. I have a Papoose and the Ruger seems heavier. I will never part with my Savage 24C. It just fits the bill for a bush bumming firearm.
I hear ya on the 24C,I had to sell the first one I had many years ago & was lucky enough to find my current one at a pawn shop with a great gun department.I'll sell knives before I sell the 24C.
I would trade the weight savings of the Papoose for the reliability of the 1022.
I've had a few Marlin autos(Papoose,60 & a 70C IIRC & always had problems with 'em,not so with the 10/22s though.

Nice, but decades late. I love take down rifles, and bought a little Browning take down auto back in 1969. In 1972 I bought a take down Marlin 39M. My Marlin papoose was a decent little gun, but just not up to the standards of the Browning and Marlin lever action. I wish Ruger had got on the stick 25 years ago when I was still young enough to go extensively backpacking. From the video, it looks like it uses a very similar mechanism to the Browning with the twist take down.
Nice,I always wanted one of those little Browning TDs,just couldn't justify it at the time though.

I'm digging it. I think a bit expensive for a not so innovative design but I will have definitely be getting one.

I'm digging it. I think a bit expensive for a not so innovative design but I will have definitely be getting one.
Not innovative no,but it's the 10/22,nuf said.;)
And I'm sure they can be had for a lot less than the MSRP.:)

Hey Jackknife, I just got the Papoose a couple of months ago. I really like it so far, but I do not know much about firearms. I was wondering what you think the Papoose is lacking.

In a nutshell, reliability. I was never impressed with the gun, and after two trips back to Marlin, and still problems with some real jams, it went down the road. With any gun I'm very OCD on the subject of reliability. I won't have a gun that I have doubts that it will work when I need it. I've been less than impressed with the stuff Marlin turned out after about the mid 90's. The only really reliable semi auto .22 rifles I've had has been the little Browning, and my old Remington 552 speed master.

I've been so disappointed in the recent Marlin quality, that last year when it came time to buy my grandson his first gun, (and he learned to shoot on my old Marlin 39 that's 40 years old) after looking at a brand-new Marlin 39 with all sorts of QA issues, I bought him a CZ .22 rifle. I've been so impressed with his CZ, I just may buy one for myself.

Carl.

In a nutshell, reliability. I was never impressed with the gun, and after two trips back to Marlin, and still problems with some real jams, it went down the road. With any gun I'm very OCD on the subject of reliability. I won't have a gun that I have doubts that it will work when I need it. I've been less than impressed with the stuff Marlin turned out after about the mid 90's. The only really reliable semi auto .22 rifles I've had has been the little Browning, and my old Remington 552 speed master.

I've been so disappointed in the recent Marlin quality, that last year when it came time to buy my grandson his first gun, (and he learned to shoot on my old Marlin 39 that's 40 years old) after looking at a brand-new Marlin 39 with all sorts of QA issues, I bought him a CZ .22 rifle. I've been so impressed with his CZ, I just may buy one for myself.

Carl.

Thank you for your response Carl.

I so far have only fired about 500 rounds out of my Papoose. The only jams I had were when I shot Federal ammo. The last 200 rounds I shot were CCI Velocitors and I have not had a jam or misfire with those.

I like my Papoose and love that it fits into my daypack and weighs under 4lbs. I rarely go on long backpacking trips, usually just a few nights, so I don't carry a big pack as I take the minimalist approach. So the small rifle works for me. I also shoot pretty well with it.

Again thank you for sharing your experience with the rifle.

The new gun looks sweet, but I personally can't justify the cost. Looks like I will just stick with my Marlin 60.
It is a little curious though, 10/22 are known for being so modular with mods and add ons. But this new rifle can't really be changed...at least not the stock or barrel.

And I'm sure they can be had for a lot less than the MSRP.:)
I picked one up at my LGS for $299.

I have not had a chance to shoot it yet, but I'm very impressed with the solid lock up and the nice balance of the gun.

It is a little curious though, 10/22 are known for being so modular with mods and add ons. But this new rifle can't really be changed...at least not the stock or barrel.
I would imagine all the internal mods (trigger, etc) will work on this one. I also think that if it proves as popular as it looks to be, someone will make aftermarket stocks for the TD. Finally, the carry case does have a sleeve in it for a second barrel... hmmmmm.

Last edited:
Back