10-3 vs any other for all around camp use?

First post, but I have been lurking forever.

Question- I am thinking about picking up a Model 10-3 for an all around fishing/camping/chore knife. I have not had a chance to hold one in person but the size and shape seem like they would fit the bill. Has anyone had any experience with one of these little gems?

Also what other model might work well (has to be Stainless cause' she's going to get wet)?

Thanks!

I haven't used a Model 10. I am partial to my Model 5 in stainless steel for camp chores and as a hiking companion. The blade is a tad thicker and I prefer the shape of the grip to that of the Model 10.

I've probably owned more Randall Model #8's (4" blade) than any other, and have always been partial to them for a smaller knife; and with 75 years worth of production, there are more than enough variations to keep a guy happy. As to the #10-3; there's plenty of blade for most 'small knife' tasks, but the handle length may be a bit short for you - I'd recommend handling a few before purchasing.

Thanks for the info, I'll look into a Model 8. I have held a model 5 and I like that too, but have not yet gotten my hands on an 8.

So it looks like the model 10 has a 3 1/2 inch handle. That does seem a tad short.

I usually carry my SP 16-7 on our camping and fishing trips (I carried it on a most of my deployments overseas) but it's really too big for anything other than camp chores.

thanks

I’ve carried a 10/3 quite a bit and like it a lot as a edc knife. The handle is quite adequate. It bulges in the middle which is hard to pick up in pictures. It’s a great little knife. Not sure it’s a good knife for what you are looking for.

view

Last edited:
Now I'm kinda of thinking that the 10-3 would work for the small chores/cleaning fish/even cooking prep.

It would be awesome to use this than some day pass it down to my Daughter (she's my fishing buddy)!

Thanks all for the help.

Had one and for small knife it’s fine. Used it to clean / butcher chickens.

Back