10 years of Millie goodness

brj

10 years ago I was discovering the Spyderco Military and my quest for the perfect knife was at an end. It's been a fun ride (and I have no plans to stop anytime soon).

Dec 2007

Dec 2017
ShulQJn.jpg

10 years ago I was discovering the Spyderco Military and my quest for the perfect knife was at an end. It's been a fun ride (and I have no plans to stop anytime soon).

Dec 2007

Dec 2017
ShulQJn.jpg

That's quite an impressive Millie collection! I've been impressed by the Millie's performance over the years as well!

That, Sir, has just made my day! Very awesome collection indeed!

Last edited:
The Military ruined a lot of knives for me, i don't think there are many knives that can match it in cutting, strength/weight and looks. I always carry 2 knives but no matter what - one of them is always the Millie. Nice collection.

I am the same. I only discovered the Military about 4-5 years ago. I knew about it but always thought it would be too big. At the time i liked a saber ground blade and I thought most Spydercos looked kinda funny, like a squeezed turd! I tried a spyderco urban just to try a Spyderco (it was on clearance). I started to appreciate the flat grind and the ergos. Then I tried a PM2 to see what all of the fuss was about. It was nice and I suddenly realized for my cutting needs the FFG was the only blade grind for me. The compression lock irritates me. Not sure why, but I think it is because I am lefty and when I used it lefty I felt like I needed to manipulate the knife too much to close it.

I was at my local cutlery shop and I decided to fondle a Military. Closed my eyes and then opened, closed, pocketed and repeated a few times. Then, eyes still closed, I started switching my grips around. It just felt right no matter how I did held it. Drawing, opening, closing, pocketing all were natural. Even lefty! The owner of the shop let me keep it pocketed while I looked at and fondled some other stuff. After only a couple minutes I couldnt feel the Military in my pocket. That was it. Bought it. Oddly enough, I didnt carry it that much, because I still thought I needed a titanium frame lock flipper ZT. After getting irritated with the flipper tab rubbing my index knuckle I put away the ZT and tossed the Millie in the pocket. Its been my “almost every day carry” since. The only reason I dont have a Military in my pocket is because I have a few other high end knives that are special to me and I randomly work them into the rotation.

When it comes to my expectations of ultimate performance the Military perfectly fits all my needs. And it also comes in so many flavors. It just never gets old!

KW S90V CF/Ti sprint is my favorite

That's a great Millie collection brj, congratulations! I gotta ask though, which one is your favorite?

Fantastic Military collection! :thumbsup: I bought a Millie for the first time a couple weeks ago, and I love it.

I was at my local cutlery shop and I decided to fondle a Military. Closed my eyes and then opened, closed, pocketed and repeated a few times. Then, eyes still closed, I started switching my grips around. It just felt right no matter how I did held it. Drawing, opening, closing, pocketing all were natural.

I'm adding your "eyes closed" technique to my arsenal of ways I figure out whether or not I'll like a knife. I can't believe I didn't think of that one before.

Dam!!! Now thats a Military fan. Awesome collection. Never got a chance to handle one but so many people rave about it, I may have to try one.

Dadpool Dadpool

Its a legit technique. Obviously you need to look at a knife to be sure you know how the lock and opening mechanism works. But once you do the feel will be much more informative than the look.

Everyone is drawn to something by its appearance first. Interestingly enough once you associate that correct feel with a certain look you will be able to look at a tool and know it will feel right before you even pick it up.

Dam!!! Now thats a Military fan. Awesome collection. Never got a chance to handle one but so many people rave about it, I may have to try one.

I know its cliche, but once you have one you may have a problem stopping...see above. I started with one, too, and now have a sackful. Which one gets the most use, I have honestly no idea, but cruwear, s110v, s30v Ti, s90v, 204p get a few days each

Big Military fan. I am up to 10. I really cannot decide which version I like the best. I am currently carrying the 52100. I will carry the Military for awhile, switch to the Para, then the Endura, Stretch etc., but always come back to the Military. One thing I really like about it is, that for a big knife, it carries small. It is the best cutter I own.

I know its cliche, but once you have one you may have a problem stopping...see above. I started with one, too, and now have a sackful. Which one gets the most use, I have honestly no idea, but cruwear, s110v, s30v Ti, s90v, 204p get a few days each
So what is it about that model that attracts so many people? I generally like blades in the 3" range so 4" seems really big in my mind ya know? I've read a lot of people say it carries small for its size but still can't imagine 4" blade for an EDC. Just for reference the only larger blades I have to compare it to are ZT 0560, 0300, and Emerson Roadhouse and all are just not right for me in an EDC blade

So what is it about that model that attracts so many people? I generally like blades in the 3" range so 4" seems really big in my mind ya know? I've read a lot of people say it carries small for its size but still can't imagine 4" blade for an EDC

It’s not as popular as the pm2, I think, or the delica. But the military has a lot of handle and so a large grip surface, without having any excess weight anywhere. Also the best filet is closer to 4”(for me anyway)

It’s not as popular as the pm2, I think, or the delica. But the military has a lot of handle and so a large grip surface, without having any excess weight anywhere. Also the best filet is closer to 4”(for me anyway)
Do you EDC it? Wondering how it carries in a pocket. As far as using it, does it feel like a larger PM2?

Do you EDC it? Wondering how it carries in a pocket. As far as using it, does it feel like a larger PM2?

I would say that the pm2 feels like a smaller military. I can’t say if the reverse is true. Many people prefer the pm2’s compression lock and smaller size. The military is more comfortable in xl hands, I feel. I do edc the military, all day every day, unless for some reason I’ll be flying commercial or going into a federal/state building.

Cool man thanks for all the info. Sounds very interesting, I may have to try one. So many knives I want already may as well add another to the long list. Can never have to many knives or guns right?

So what is it about that model that attracts so many people? I generally like blades in the 3" range so 4" seems really big in my mind ya know? I've read a lot of people say it carries small for its size but still can't imagine 4" blade for an EDC. Just for reference the only larger blades I have to compare it to are ZT 0560, 0300, and Emerson Roadhouse and all are just not right for me in an EDC blade

The jump from 3" to 4" will feel like a big one at first, but you'll get used to it. I'm used to 3.5", and 4" still felt like a jump at first. But the Millie's front choil means you can choke up nicely to use the blade like a smaller knife, so it handles well for a large knife.

The Millie is relatively thin and extraordinarily light given its size, so in that sense it carries more like a small-to-medium knife than a large knife. I've never encountered another knife this large that I can comfortably toss into gym shorts or track pants.

It's not subtle when you're using that pocket for other things, though: Tip-down puts the widest part at the top of my jeans pocket, and the jimping is right where my hand slides in. I'm new to the Millie, but so far I'm willing to pay that small price for everything else that I love about it. Eventually, my hand will get used to accessing my RFP without snagging the Millie, just like it has for every other knife I've tried.

I have adopted the policy that the pocket with my knife in it is solely for my knife. Doesnt matter which pocket it is, if it has a knife, that is all it has. I have other pockets for my other stuff

I just bought a 204p and it's the best made Military I've owned. I'd forgot how light and well balanced the g10 models are. The lockup seems tighter than ever and I really like the new pivot and lack of a back spacer. After carrying so many heavier knives of like size, it's a real treat to have such a long sharp pointed blade. Reminds me of what a knife is supposed to do and that's slice!

Best knife made! Everything just seems to fit together. Not to heavy, will fit most any hand, cuts like a razor, opens smooth and locks solid. What's not to like? I also think the green 204P is the best one I have owned to date! We will see. I have a couple other militaries on the way. Lol

Back