1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

$100 bass pro giftcard?

Discussion in 'Wilderness & Survival Skills' started by Tin.Man, Dec 21, 2010.

1. Tin.Man

Tin.Man

Sep 5, 2010
    So received one from my work this year, dont shop there often if ever.

I want to get some minimum essentials for all day outtings, basic bushcraft stuff so to speak.

All I have right now is a good solid knife, and light my fire rod and a beginners lust for knowledge :eek:

What would you get with said giftcard?

Thanks for all the replies gents.

2. scout_77

scout_77

Jun 1, 2008
    I have never shopped at a bass pro shop, but I would be looking for good water bottle, and metal cup.

3. Pritch

Pritch

May 3, 2006
    Maybe a sleeping bag or cooking gear? Perhaps a stainless bottle or some rain gear.

Sleeping Bag

Stainless Bottle

Rain Jacket

Other things to look at would be a pack or boots.
    Merry Christmas!

4. Barbarossa

Barbarossa

Nov 14, 2007
    A good survival/bushcraft kit should have a hobo fishing kit. I imagine you could get everything you need there.

5. SpookyPistolero

SpookyPistolero

Dec 13, 2005
    Problem with BassPro is they don't really have good basic gear. They have some money-wasting crap, then some name brand stuff that's a bit over priced. I was recently in the same situation as you with a couple of giftcards to BassPro that I didn't see anything obvious to spend on.

I'd get something expensive that you like, such as a GPS, jacket, or pack. They're 'little things' are either low quality or overpriced.

6. softrockrenegade

softrockrenegade

May 27, 2009
    A new knife ???!!!!!!

7. Moosez45

Moosez45 Custom Antlers, Factory Knives... Moderator

Jul 14, 2010
    Getcha a Nalgene bottle, Olicamp cup, some cordage, a GOOD compass, and a few Emergency blankets, and a good tarp. Hit the woods, and go from there.

Moose

8. DaPro

DaPro

Aug 18, 2009
    they have way more stuff in-store then what is listed on their website....I spent about 3 hours in the Springfield, MO store Sunday....I didn't do a thorough walk through either, lots of neat stuff you REALLY NEED.

All I managed to buy was range time and a few streamlight key mates. Knife selection sucked:thumbdn:

9. dipbait

dipbait

Feb 9, 2008
    How about a pack rod and reel.

10. cramsey3006

cramsey3006 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 2, 2010
    I have the same problem, I get gift cards for the store and then can't really find anything I want. Wait till after xmas and then go on-line and look at the clearance section. There's usually some really good deals then.

I try to get people to buy me Cabelas cards, as there always seems to be more on that website/catalog that I want, but since we have a Bass Pro in Cincinnati, that's what I end up with. I'm not complaining, but it usually takes a while for me to burn the cards. I don't like wasting my money, and I definitely don't want to waste others money that was gifted to me.

11. Jeff H

Jeff H

Feb 14, 2008
    I was in one Sunday and they had a couple hats that were decent and actually pretty inexpensive. There was a sale on and there were decent pants for under $20 and fleece full zipper jackets for $19. Their water bottles and cups are high, but if you're not paying shipping.... I am sure I could find $100 worth of stuff in there, even if it's not the first place I would go.

The packs are all a bit "fashionable," I thought, but there's a lot of fishing stuff. There were some bags like the modular deployment bags everyone sells for $20 and they were a civilian-friendly dark blue.

Still kicking myself for not grabbing one of the hats, because it's difficult buying them online and not being able to try them on.

12. DAVE_M

DAVE_M

Jun 16, 2010
    Look up the Redhead Thunderlight Rain Jacket and Pants. I keep them in my truck or bag, depending on where I am going. Both pack up small and do exactly what they are supposed to.... Keep you dry!

13. VictGerbSogCamill

VictGerbSogCamill

Feb 19, 2010
    1. A First Aid Kit * Should always carry a basic first aid kit
    2. Water bottle / stainless steel cup
    3. Compass
    4. Emergency rain gear / poncho
    5. Emergency blanket
    6. A nice backpack or such
    7. Para cord /string/rope
    8. Emergency whistle
    9. Flashlight
    10. Fire starter / get a back up or different kind

14. Tin.Man

Tin.Man

Sep 5, 2010
    Thank you guys for all your responses!

15. fixer

fixer Banned BANNED

Mar 9, 2000
    you could get a Tommy Bahama shirt and you MIGHT have $20 left over. :rolleyes: so don't do that! :D

16. Joezilla

Joezilla Moderator- Wilderness and Survival Skills Moderator

Jul 22, 2005
    I'd use it to get a little off of a canoe! You can also get ammo there at OK prices

17. j williams

j williams

Nov 14, 2005
    I got a bunch of gift cards to Bass Pro too. I have 100, and each of my boys have 50.00 ones. We were talking about going all in on a canoe.

18. unit

unit

Nov 22, 2009
    That is exactly what I bought at my nearest Bass Pro a few weeks ago (and a Swiss Fire steel and striker). They have some decent hydration/day packs too.

If you gave me such a card, I would be picking up a good hat, and some decent boots (probably would need a little extra cash to cover that). Get the very top and very bottom covered, and you are off to a great start!

19. TheGame

TheGame

Sep 24, 2008
    The BPS around me has pretty decent prices on everything except for knives. I find that pretty funny. I went in and saw good prices on everything. So I figured decent priced knives. That was not the issue.

It really depends on area as to what they have in store, I think. I was talking to some of the workers and they said each store had different items because of the location.

20. cramsey3006

cramsey3006 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 2, 2010
    Their prices on knives are not very competitive at all, really. I like to support any local merchant, even a corporate one, but sometimes they drive you to shop elsewhere on the net.