100% BuckMaster was a SEAL knife

Hi All , I’ve been away for about a year. So to clarify some bad info by some let’s just say uninformed folks. The BuckMaster Model 184 was in fact issued and purchased in 1985 for Our US Navy SEALs. LAST year at SHOT Show 2019 BUCK Knives invited Commander DT Coulter “SEAL” retired and Myself. We talked about the BuckMaster History along with CJ Buck! It’s archived in February 2019 on The pod cast “Talking Lead” hosted by Lefty. Matter of fact the Commander also did a pod cast on Navy SEAL History and considering currently 70% of the upper Brass in the Teams were one way or another trained by Commander Coulter that podcast is awesome. The BuckMaster SHOT Show 2019 podcast will clear up any doubts and verifies that the BuckMaster WAS issued and a US Navy SEAL knife. So FAST fwd this a year. Commander DT Coulter “SEAL” retired and I have BOTH be reinvited to SHOT Show 2020 by BUCK Knives. . I even started a Facebook BuckMaster Knives page a few weeks ago with the Blessing of BUCK Knives Hope that’s okay to share here. So Keep posted more to EXCITING things to come!

Mr. Neyman is it true that the early Buckmaster's are a darker gray from sandblasting and was found to be pitting the blade? So they changed to bead blasting. What time frame did this happen?

Last edited:
Mr. Neyman is it true that the early Buckmaster's are a darker gray from sandblasting and was found to be pitting the blade? So they changed to bead blasting. What time frame did this happen?
correct! On a micro scale the sand was pitting the 425 Mod steel surface! July 1985 switched to media blasting. Page 113 and 114 “BuckMaster Knives the Authorized History of Models 184 & 185!

Thank You for confirming that question. My brother in law has the book, I am going to get it and read the whole thing. I have the M9 Bayonet book.

Mr. Neyman I loved reading your boom on the M9 - 188, it is loaded with so much information. I can't wait to read the Blademaster Knives book.

mr neyman would you happen to know
exactly just how many buckmasters were procured by the USN?
and was the order fulfilled in a
single delivery?
or if were there reorders?
are any left in the inventory?
were they withdrawn from service?
or went by way of attrition?
what of any SEALs user feedback regarding
the buckmaster?
thanks in advance and keep up the
great work ! :)

mr neyman would you happen to know
exactly just how many buckmasters were procured by the USN?
and was the order fulfilled in a
single delivery?
or if were there reorders?
are any left in the inventory?
were they withdrawn from service?
or went by way of attrition?
what of any SEALs user feedback regarding
the buckmaster?
thanks in advance and keep up the
great work ! :)
I’m going to make this brief. 2500 delivered in 1995. 1 order only, no new reorder , Matter of fact the original OR ( Operational Requirement) is still in effect. I’m sure they were withdrawn and some still in inventory! I have a small list from SEALs. , too heavy except the ALL Titanium, tip would snap, anchor needs more knurling to name a few. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
thanks! its without doubt that
the buckmaster looked great on paper;
but unexpectedly failed in the execution.
one might be forgiving enough to think
that it was a product ahead of its time, hampared only by the techology of its day :)
if only some yet to be discovered advanced
material was available back then, rather than its downfall with its "full ton" of steel.
will be following the fb buckmaster fan page closely with much interest!
best wishes for the new year eveyone! :)

i saw an "unglued, unsold" 184 on the big auction site. whats the story on those?

i saw an "unglued, unsold" 184 on the big auction site. whats the story on those?
Usually a Factory Employee put this in there “ lunch Box”. It wouldn’t leave the Buck Factory unglued because of the quality control. Very Rare BuckMaster in my opinion. I would snap it up if you have the funds.

Back