100 year warranty?

My wallet (large bifold) started fraying on the edges. I called customer service and was told to email them a picture so they could "evaluate" the problem. I thought these products were guaranteed for 100 years. WTF?

I don't think that's a big deal. They aren't going to send you a new wallet just because you said yours is fraying. That would be more like a lifetime replacement program.

And I think it's reasonable for them to "evaluate" the problem. I wouldn't expect them to cover purposely damaged wallets (like if you just cut the wallet in half or something silly like that). Sending a picture beforehand is better than sending in the wallet itself for "evaluation". There's no shipping cost for emailing.

Leather will fray and deform with use and time. It's the natural course of leather; the character of well used leather goods. I would be more upset if the stitching came apart or the leather strap snapped on my bag.

What exactly do you want and why are you bringing this up publicly right now. Maybe you should work this out with the company before you make a post like this. BTW it is not unreasonable at all for Saddleback to ask you to send pics of the item. What exactly did you expect to happen?

I agree with everyone else. Snap a pic and let them evaluate it.
If they don't replace it and it bothers you then I'm sure you can sell it with little loss and move on.

Saddleback Warranty:

My Guarantee

I believe in my leather, thread and craftsmanship so strongly that I warranty every one of my products against defects in materials and workmanship for 100 years. If you or one of your lucky descendents should have a problem, send it back and I'll repair or replace it for free (be sure to put this guarantee in your will). This guarantee applies to the original buyer purchased through Saddleback Leather Company.

Saddleback Leather products are made to last a lifetime or two, but they're not bear, bullet or semi truck proof. The warranty covers defects in materials and workmanship and does not cover misuse or abuse or normal wear and tear.

Because of the nature of full grain leather and how difficult it is to work with, (approx. only 2% of bags are made from full grain leather) all of my bags are uniquely different and are made to have markings, with some uneven stitching, tones and shades that vary up to 20% with the colors, and areas not perfectly symmetrical. They're not mass produced by an army of children working for a dollar a day running computer operated machines. They're created by a few folks who have worked leather for the majority of their lives. I designed and built these bags for durability, not for flair. They're definitely not pretty boy bags. As the bags are used, broken in and conditioned properly, the leather will soften and have a worn and used look to them which does include wrinkling, just like any good pair of boots or dress shoes get when you squat down in them. From the uncountable emails received from happy past customers over the years, they adore their bags even more with time.

My wallet (large bifold) started fraying on the edges. I called customer service and was told to email them a picture so they could "evaluate" the problem. I thought these products were guaranteed for 100 years. WTF?

Silly me....I just noticed this guy hasn't posted since....Oct....the fraying must have disappeared.

The "unfinished" edges of the leather sometimes do lead to slight fraying -- happened on my bifold as well. However, it disappeared over time with more sweat! ;-) I would be worried if the fraying continues and goes all the way to the stitches. It is a good idea to send photos to SBL, as a feedback -- this allows for continuous improvement of products, and ensures they make great products over time. It is built really, really tough, so I doubt if it will fall apart.

I still dont see the problem, I had issues with a wallet i got for Christmas, that day i noticed a few stitches had broken. Sent an email on the 26th and after a few emails and pics i had a new wallet in my hands on the 31st.

SBL's customer service is first class and they couldnt have made the process easier.

I've had two quality problems with Saddleback products. The first was a loose stitch on my wallet sleeve. The end of the string was coming loose at the knot. I contacted costumer service, and they said that they could replace the wallet, but they suggested that I first try to fix it myself. This would be done using a lighter to melt the polyester threat and seal it back in place. I was a little miffed at first, but then I tried it, and it work fine. That was a few months ago and there's no sign that the knot is coming loose again any time soon. But, they did say that replacement was an option.

The second problem was a popped rivet on my classic briefcase. In my first email to costumer service I included several pictures of the rivet. They sent me a shipping label right away. As I write this, my bag had just arrived at their shop the day before, so I haven't heard back yet. I don't know if it will be fixed, replaced, or how long it will take. If I think of it I'll write an update post later.

I bought Dave's chestnut satchel back in 07 or 08. Since then, the shape has changed due to usage and conditioning the leather. There are wrinkles in the leather but that's part of leather's character, plus it's made with full grain with a buckskin type lining. When I bought it, Dave's guarantee was for 400 yrs, not 100 yrs. Don't know what happened there. This was before they introduced smaller products. Still, Dave and his family have made a great business and I would think customer service was a great part to it's success. Work with them. They should have no qualms about repairs or even replacement if needed.

I bought Dave's chestnut satchel back in 07 or 08. Since then, the shape has changed due to usage and conditioning the leather. There are wrinkles in the leather but that's part of leather's character...
I'd love to see some pictures!

In all seriousness the claim that their products will last 100 years seems a bit ambitious. There is no doubt that SBL makes some of the best and highest quality leather goods in the country, but 100 years of use is a VERY long time. Thats well over 2 working careers lifetimes. You'll really need to take good care of it, and not abuse it. Leather will age, fray, crease, dry out, crack and tear. Even if I only got 10 years out of a $50 wallet, I'd be pretty satisfied.

When your Saddleback leather reaches 100 years old, we want pics of how it's holding up, and let us know how they respond to your warranty request at 99 years!

Saddleback Warranty:

Now just wait a second here, am I seeing things correctly but I see the warranty does NOT cover normal wear and tear as highlighted by Daniel? The legal definition of normal wear and tear or fair wear and tear has been clearly established in all legal jurisdictions. Why even bother to give a 100 years warranty if the product is not expected to survive 100 years of regular normal usage?

"Why even bother to give a 100 years warranty if the product is not expected to survive 100 years of regular normal usage?"
I must say, warrantying an item for 100 years, then saying "if it wears out, it's not covered" is a bit contradictory. This means the warranty coverage is entirely at the discretion of the one who examines it and that person's interpretation or disposition. Unless it's a defect right out of the box, what would differentiate between worn-out leather or stitching and defective leather or stitching.
If I see a 100 years warranty, I'd expect that the product to be covered unless it was deliberately damaged by a method of damage outside of normal wear and tear. Am I the only one here missing something?
As usual, if there are too many conditions attached to a statement, it changes – often radically - the initially perceived meaning of that statement. That could be a bait-and-switch all it one easy-peasy remark – let’s see, I’m thinking it to mean this, when it actually means something very different.
Yes, what exactly is the meaning of Saddleback Leather Company’s 100 year warranty – or is this just Texan doubletalk?

Back