107 Scout Information

Anyone know when this particular Scout may have been made? Is it just an odd handle color variation? I've seen these with the black micarta handles and black Birchwood handles, but I haven't seen any with this color of handle before.

Last edited:
Tvr, Thanks for the photos of your nice Scout . The model 107 first came out in 1976, had a stainless guard and black micarta slabs and three smaller pins with a pouch style sheath . Many changes later came yours in the mid 1980's (1984 0r 85)with no guard, two larger pins and a different sheath and ebony handles . Your model most likey has 425M steel a great find and those models fetch a higher price on the bay . Hope this helps . DM

Tvr, Thanks for the photos of your nice Scout . The model 107 first came out in 1976, had a stainless guard and black micarta slabs and three smaller pins with a pouch style sheath . Many changes later came yours in the mid 1980's (1984 0r 85)with no guard, two larger pins and a different sheath and ebony handles . Your model most likey has 425M steel a great find and those models fetch a higher price on the bay . Hope this helps . DM

Thanks for the info DM! This one won't be seeing eBay though...it's got a nice, cozy spot in my showcase

The model 107 in your pictures has black fibron handle slabs. These were offered starting with the 1984 Buck catalog but I have reason to believe a few were made in 1983. I do not have time to look it up. but I wrote a rather detailed article about this model for the BCCI newsletter about 5 or 6 years ago. It is archived on the club website. The black fibron was also referred to as impregnated birch and pakkawood and you can find it in different hues ranging to almost solid black to the one you have pictured with lots of lighter colored mixed in.

The model 107 in your pictures has black fibron handle slabs. These were offered starting with the 1984 Buck catalog but I have reason to believe a few were made in 1983. I do not have time to look it up. but I wrote a rather detailed article about this model for the BCCI newsletter about 5 or 6 years ago. It is archived on the club website. The black fibron was also referred to as impregnated birch and pakkawood and you can find it in different hues ranging to almost solid black to the one you have pictured with lots of lighter colored mixed in.

Thanks for the detailed information. That really narrows the date range on this one.

interesting little sidenote about the 107....it was originally the small paring knife in the Empress Trio kitchen set...so many of the little paring knives ended up in tackle boxes and hunting packs that we intrduced it with a sheath...

Thanks CJ and Larry . To pick up from them, Larry's article appeared in the June issue 2005 and states as CJ mentioned that the Empress Trio came out in 1973 . In that set the small paring knife is the 107 Scout introduced later . It's more knife than at first perceived . As I used mine to field dress whitetail for years . It does not follow the same pattern as most of the 100 series did . DM

Stelth's thread on the 1985 catalog has a photo of that 107
scan0005-2.jpg

jb

I had two 107 scouts brand new in the box about 5 years ago. They were the ones with the black micarta scales. Anyway I liked the design a lot but I needed cash so I sold them on Ebay. Now I wish I had held on to one of them.

Are tere different types of micarta too? or is the upper one
made by dishwasher?

Haebbie

Buck107zweiGriffklein.jpg
h

Last edited:
Yes, there were different color blends of Micarta used. The upper knife looks like the one that came in the Empress set. That version also came in burgundy micarta if I recall correctly.

Just a little side story. I was at Ft Polk in 1990 and a little pawn/gun shop in Leesville had about 10 NIB 107's for sale at $17.49 ea. Was'nt super into Bucks then (in my Randall phase) so did'nt buy one. Of course now I wish I'd at least picked up one.:(

I checked and the 1983 Buck catalog showed the 107 with "Buckarta" handles and the 1984 catalog also lists it with Buckarta although the picture clearly shows the new Pakkawood. This tells me that they were made with pakkawood in 1984 and maybe earlier. I know, I'm a genius! Ha!
The Empress Trio was not in the line during this time but was it was thought that sales would improve if we could get the cost down. So they reintroduced it and each knife was made like the Scout...no guard, pakkawood handle, called the "Buck Trio". They appeared in the 1990 catalog and they came in a less expensive display box. The shortest knife in this set is shorter than the 107 unlike earlier Empress Trio sets. 1993 was the last catalog that had the Buck Trio set and not very many sets were made.
Also making a comeback in 1990 was the Steak Knife set. To bring down costs, the knives were made as described above and there were only 4 knives in the set instead of 6.

Hello I know I am stirring up an old topic bug does anyone know if a guy breaks a blade on one of the 107 scouts can they still repair it?The one i have is exactly like the buck knives picture from a brochure that was posted on here.Thanks in advance for any info.

Back