1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 17 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a KaBar Becker BK 15 Mini Camp!

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a KA-BAR Becker BK 15, or Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Apil 27; winners will be drawn on Sunday @5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

1075 Steel

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by Flagg, Apr 17, 2019.

1. Flagg

Flagg

Jul 31, 2017
    I have been given 2 lengths of 1 3/4 inch wide by 1/8 inch thick 1075 steel and do NOT know the heat treating procedure
    I normally use 1080

HELP please

2. kvaughn

kvaughn Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 28, 2005
    I would ask a mod to move this to the knifemakers sub-forum for better answers. Use the report triangle lower left in your post.--KV

3. zhyla

zhyla

Sep 11, 2011
    I *think* you can use the same procedure as for 1080/1084.

4. DevinT

DevinT KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 29, 2010
    It is nearly the same as 1080, use the same HT.

Hoss

Atlas Knife Company likes this.
  5. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    1080 or 1084 HT will be fine. Austenitize at 1500F for a few minutes. Quench in fast oil. Temper at 425-450F for one hour, twice.

For a hamon, use 1475F and quench in brine.