1085 Steel...how good is it?

I love when threads rise from the grave! There's usually a good discussion to be had, and in many cases, the new perspective combined with older advice gives a more useful resource than two separate threads. At least you can't complain about someone not utilizing the search function!

On a less off-topic note, I am also interested in 1084/1085 and other similar alloys. From my understanding, given normal variation, there will be little difference in these alloys and other low-alloy carbon and tool steels like 1095 and W1, given proper heat treatment.

That of course is key, and from a bit of time spent looking through the stickies in the custom makers' forum, that is the true advantage for 1085/1084. From my understanding, proper HT is easier and less strict than higher alloy steels, so you are more likely to receive a knife with that good treatment with the euctoid steels.

I could be wrong, but given the importance of HT, I reckon that factor alone is worth taking a look at these alloys over other plain carbon or low-alloy tool steels. Of course, if someone knows what they're doing, this would be a moot point.

From my point of view a blade must not stay shiny silver clean. A carbon blade will and should get gray or black through use. That been said:

Once i wanted to teach my wife about proper knife care considering carbon blades. The objekt was a small kitchen knife, made from 075 carbon stell, should be something may be called 1075.

I cut into an apple with it and let it lay.

The only thing, happening was a light gray tone on the blade. The way to let it rust, real red rust, was to let it wet in the ditch.

But, you have to look very very long for this.

I never oil my carbon blades.

What was about to learn: Carbonblades are not that much rust sensitive as often told.

Keep it dry and more or less clean. Is just enough. You get a patina, that is all.

I live in central europe.

The Ka-bar heavy bowie came to my mind too. I found this steel grade to be the best choice for a medium chopping camp knife. Balenced in edge retention and toughness.
We are on the same page, my friend. I've been collecting knives since 1963. I'm not an expert, but I consider my self a well informed and experienced hobbyist. I own over 1,000 knives of varying metals and quality from souvenirs to high dollar Rockstead blades.

We are on the same page, my friend. I've been collecting knives since 1963. I'm not an expert, but I consider my self a well informed and experienced hobbyist. I own over 1,000 knives of varying metals and quality from souvenirs to high dollar Rockstead blades.

In 2015 Blop moved to mars and now owns only knives made of adamantium. He's moved on. You can find him on marsedgeforums ;)

Seriously though Mark, with a collection like that maybe a picture thread of some of your old stuff is in order.

Back