1095 high carbon will it chip if it hits hard surfaces like metal

The Junglas is an incredible knife and a great chopper. The 1095 as done by Rowen, as well as some others, is awesome and holds up to abuse very well. Once you have a decent steel, it seems to be all geometry and heat treat. I highly recommend the Junglas, BUT it's not cheap. I wouldn't have dreamed of having something like that at 14. But that's me and that was a LONG time ago:) If you want an outstanding chopper which is tough as hell, easy to fix, easy to use and carry, I suggest the 14" Tramontina Bush model. It's 1070 carbon. They can be found for $8 and sheaths are available for little more. To me, they are the poor man's junglas as they are close in size. That machete will endure horrible abuse. A sadistic friend batonned one through a stainless steel insulated travel coffee cup. The edge suffered some ugly damage, but was fixed well enough within minutes to tackle grass as well as when it was new. That same one has been used to chop and baton a bowling pin, which is riddled with slugs from being shot, and it's never broken or even bent. In Central/SouthTexas they don't even rust! This guy has tons of blades but swears he would grab his Tramontina machete over all others for his large blade in ANY situation. To me, there is NO other blade made which offers the level of value a good machete does. The Junglas is awesome, but you're missing out if you don't get a good (cheap) machete. Good luck.

ETA: what is a 14 year old doing up at midnight posting on knife forums! Get to bed and study hard:D!!!!

does any one have an esee junglas if so is it a well chopper

A "well" chopper??

A "good" chopper? Sure.

But, if it hits some metal tougher or harder than it is, it will chip or roll. That's not knifemaking, that's physics.

The Junglas is an incredible knife and a great chopper. The 1095 as done by Rowen, as well as some others, is awesome and holds up to abuse very well. Once you have a decent steel, it seems to be all geometry and heat treat. I highly recommend the Junglas, BUT it's not cheap. I wouldn't have dreamed of having something like that at 14. But that's me and that was a LONG time ago:) If you want an outstanding chopper which is tough as hell, easy to fix, easy to use and carry, I suggest the 14" Tramontina Bush model. It's 1070 carbon. They can be found for $8 and sheaths are available for little more. To me, they are the poor man's junglas as they are close in size. That machete will endure horrible abuse. A sadistic friend batonned one through a stainless steel insulated travel coffee cup. The edge suffered some ugly damage, but was fixed well enough within minutes to tackle grass as well as when it was new. That same one has been used to chop and baton a bowling pin, which is riddled with slugs from being shot, and it's never broken or even bent. In Central/SouthTexas they don't even rust! This guy has tons of blades but swears he would grab his Tramontina machete over all others for his large blade in ANY situation. To me, there is NO other blade made which offers the level of value a good machete does. The Junglas is awesome, but you're missing out if you don't get a good (cheap) machete. Good luck.

ETA: what is a 14 year old doing up at midnight posting on knife forums! Get to bed and study hard:D!!!!
i really wanted the knife for christmas and i know i should have went to bed early i just like to study my knife steels and blades

i really wanted the knife for christmas and i know i should have went to bed early i just like to study my knife steels and blades:yawn::yawn:

Never had either the ESEE Junglas or the Ontario RTAK II, but I think the RTAK is supposed to be pretty similar to the Junglas. Comes cheaper too (about half the price?). If I remember correctly both come in 1095 steel at 3/16" thickness. Warranty on the Junglas will be better though, although I don't know how many people ever make use of it.

I agree with jdk1 that a good machete gives great value. I've got a Cold Steel Gurkha Kukri Plus and as great as it is, it was expensive. (About as much as a Junglas). I try not to use it just because it cost an arm and a leg. The CS Kukri machete gives more bang per buck. It isn't as effective or handsome, but I can throw it without feeling guilty, and I can beat it up because it's very affordable to replace (~$20 vs ~$200). 1055 carbon isn't the hardest steel, but it's very tough in my experience. Only thing is Cold Steel machetes need some work to optimize performance, such as sharpening/regrinding the edge, adding a lanyard, etc. But I think it's worth learning how to work and improve your blades.

Just my input.

I have accidently hit metal with my ESEE 3 mil, the edge rolled but didnt chip. Have seen a Junglas hit metal again the edge rolled but didnt chip. If 1095 is heat treated high then yes it will chip ESEEs are run at 57 or there abouts hrc so the edge is more likely to roll than chip.

It won't necessarily chip, but it's not coming out of it undamaged. Of course, no other steel will either, so don't hold that against it. This assumes you have the edge angle set so it will actually cut something. A 30 degree per side edge might not notice if the impact was not full force, but an edge like that is not much use on a knife in the first place.

if you hit metal with a 1095 knife it will basically explode and you will die.

Back