1095 Patina Discussion

Viper84

Gold Member
I broke in my TC Barlow today by cutting up an orange and it started a nice brown colored patina. I've seen pics on here where people have multi-colored patinas that are blue, purple, and black. So I was curious if you all know what types of foods or other things create certain colored patinas.

Also please post any 1095 patina pics you have here!

20210126-092005.jpg

20210126-092025.jpg

image.jpg Go hot... whether it is a roast, chicken etc
The more you darken it the more work it will be to clean it up when you are wanting it to be shiny again (if your anything like me)
Have a good one

This one has had mustard, siriachi, cold blue
I emptied my fathers urine bag his short time in hospice... so it got patined in that also. I think of dad every time I cut up a pork chop

I try really hard to like patina. Occassionally I see a pic of one that admire. But I keep coming back, I just want my blades shiny. So I wipe down my blade multiple times a day, I don't even want to see fingerprints on it. But we each have our own preferences!

View attachment 1498119 Go hot... whether it is a roast, chicken etc
The more you darken it the more work it will be to clean it up when you are wanting it to be shiny again (if your anything like me)
Have a good one

This one has had mustard, siriachi, cold blue
I emptied my fathers urine bag his short time in hospice... so it got patined in that also. I think of dad every time I cut up a pork chop
Ha! If knives could talk...we would probably prefer that they didn’t :D

In my experience, the color of the patina is related to how deep the oxidization goes and how old it is. Doesn't matter what I cut - meat, fruit, whatever. The fresh patina will be that rainbow smattering, and over time the more patina I add (the more layers of oxidization that accrue), the darker it gets until it turns that grey/"black". Might also be related to other minerals in the meat or fruit juice.

A metallurgist would have to comment on this, but most metals are crystalline solids, and so we could be talking about different angles of the surface being oxidized on a very small scale, which would impact the color of light we see reflected on the blade. I further suspect something like this, because the *seen* color of the patina will change by applying some oil to the oxidized blade, or vis versa cleaning it off.

Acid soaks and ferric chloride can produce dark grey/"black" patina quickly, but those tend to be much stronger in concentration and oxidize more quickly/deeply.

Also, polished blades seem to take on a more brilliant rainbow at first than satin blades do.

I believe I had cut something spicy with this knife to get those darker splats on the top layer (spicy = acidic)
49891859208_0546c87993_b.jpg

I like an even gray patina. That’s just me. At least that is how I like carbon to start out. I usually wipe the blade with rubbing alcohol then get my tap water scalding hot and hold the blade under it for a minute or two. Then I rub a cut lime or lemon (I have lots from yard trees...) on the blade and voila. Here is my latest in 1084 (close to 1095 sorry) to share1C23FCF5-4DF0-4FFF-81F0-F3A35EF28015.jpeg

Citrus fruits do well but don't leave that juice on too long...I pitted a knife from cutting up Limes and then left it unwiped for a day or two, mistake.

Garlic works extremely well or others from the Onion family, to enhance patina, let the garlic dry on for a bit-it's pretty oily stuff- then put the knife under a really hot tap and dry it immediately. Grand colours-for a while.

Can't really make up my mind abut patina, it's rarely even unless the knife is sole use, I dislike spotty, blotchy effect. So I usually end up cleaning it off with a green pad or metal polish and begin again, can be rewarding. Thank God somebody discovered stainless ;) some people on this Forum have yet to...:D

Don't forget the fungi , they bring it on too.

n8friQv.jpg

Citrus fruits do well but don't leave that juice on too long...I pitted a knife from cutting up Limes and then left it unwiped for a day or two, mistake.

Garlic works extremely well or others from the Onion family, to enhance patina, let the garlic dry on for a bit-it's pretty oily stuff- then put the knife under a really hot tap and dry it immediately. Grand colours-for a while.

Can't really make up my mind abut patina, it's rarely even unless the knife is sole use, I dislike spotty, blotchy effect. So I usually end up cleaning it off with a green pad or metal polish and begin again, can be rewarding. Thank God somebody discovered stainless ;) some people on this Forum have yet to...:D

Don't forget the fungi , they bring it on too.

n8friQv.jpg

So it would take the citrus juice hours to form pits?

The blotch near the tip in the image below was from a little drop of orange juice being on the knife for a few minutes.

20210126-122122.jpg

You guys just using them and then closing them afterwards? Or wiping or washing them off first?

23 years of existence as a pocketknife. The bluish tint on the Clip blade formed after I cut the seal from the top of a jug of antifreeze about ten years ago - the truck and the antifreeze are long gone but the patina stayed. OH
Kabar-1081-ARNG-1998-2005.jpg

Back