1095 uses

This may have been asked before, but here it is again. Can this steel be used for stock removal or is it strictly for forging? It seems so inexpensive to use compared to 01. Thanks for the help

Marcel

1095 makes a good stock removal blade!!! If you don't believe me, ask Allen Blade. He uses it all the time! Nice and cheap like you say and grinds nice. You have to be quick on the heat treat though.

------------------
"Come What May..."

Ka Bar, Old Timer use 1095. A great, inexpensive steel that takes a nice edge and is pretty easy to work and HT. Also, it is very cheap as knifemaking steel goes! $4 or $5 for 18" piece is a lot better than 10 to 20 for the same size piece!

You don't have to forge ANY type of steel, and you can use stock removal on ANY type of steel. although the reverse is not correct. IT all boils down to the makers idea of what he thinks or what method he was taught. Some will say forging is the best! Some will say stock removal is the only way to go. I will say that forging is a nice way to go, when using simple carbon steel, and when using high alloy stainless steels, stock removal is the only method to use { most of the time} It's not really that confusing, and I have to be careful of how I say things or I'll have the entire Blade Forum crew on my tail.But in my opinion, what I've said is the simplest explaination of a complex relm of idea's and theory's.
Good Luck!!
Somebody else jump in here ,will ya!!
Ironhorse

Yeah, what he said.

------------------
Danbo, soul brother of Rambo

Ironhorse is right, but what intrigues me most about forging is that i can make a knife from oddly shaped pieces of steel. The first knife i ever made was forged from a gravely tiller blade, this is something you couldnt have done simply with grinding.

TO me, thats the greatest advantage of forging, the freedom it allows you, and nothing more.

Matt.

------------------
"Never hit a man unless you must, but if you must, knock him down" Teddy Roosevelt.

www.lameyknives.com

Back