110 Blade Spine Question

I recently acquired this 110. I am in my mid-40s and have loved these knives since I was a kid going to gun shows and seeing them professionally sharpened to such a sharp edge they gave me chills to touch. Now I finally have one. And Idaho Hunter from 2005

I got it used for a song.
I am completely sure it is authentic but the spine at the tip is odd to me. I have not seen a ton of 110s in my life, and never really paid much attention to the blade spine on the ones I have seen.

The spine at the tip goes into sort of an arrow shape instead of the fine, dull blade-like edge continuing to the tip like I am used to. Looking online I don't see any like it.

Is this something specific to the 2005's?

I would upload a picture but apparently, I have the pay to subscribe to upload pictures here and uploading it to another website just to get a URL to post here is now worth the hassle.
uTN2rhf

Last edited:
It is actually easier to use a 3rd party site to upload a picture, on bladeforums you need to resize the photo to their parameters before it can upload. use imgur.

Looks like its been sharpened a few times and they took a bit off the clip to give it a point.
It looks like they carried it more than they used it. The blade is pretty much pristine although I do see signs of an attempt at sharpening. Although, I did just measure the blade. 3.5 inches from the brass to the tip of the blade. So, you may be right. If I recall the blade should be 3 3/4 inches so it is about 1/4 inch short.

Last edited:
Just a hunch...

Could be that the knife was sharpened enough that there was blade loss... Enough blade loss that the tip of the edge came up above the liner when closed. Often when this happens (it's the natural "aging" of the blade due to material loss from sharpening) some people will grind a bit off of the kick, to let the blade sit lower in teh blade well when closed. Could be that the previous owner didn't know about that trick and just "took a bit off the top" with a grinder.

Buck will replace the blade for a reasonable fee. That's what I would do.

Sounds like it may have suffered a snapped tip at one time.
Buck will replace the blade for you, but you'll lose the 2005 date code.
I think a new blade is around $10.

How is the quality of current blades compared to then?
Same great quality, you'll lose the Idaho outline on the tang stamp.

BTW, Imgur should give you link code for posting on forums and message boards...use the BBCode. HTH, Preston

Back