110 Date Code Q: - 110 - (two dashes) ?

I'm curious - I saw a Buck 110 today that was marked: - 110 -

In other words, a dash on either side of the model number.

I may be mistaken (it happens all the time ;) ), but I thought the date code marks were only on a single side of the model number?

Any guidance welcome - thanks.

John

The 110's can have markings on both sides. At the top of the page, there is a sticky by Joe Houser, from Buck, with 110 data. It has helpful info in it.

IIRC, the only markings that will be on both sides are the dots, and the dashes.

Just noticed I type really slow :D

The second dash to the left of 110 was added because of a "mid-year" (1992) design change. You can read more about that here (http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=811239) and several other threads in the archives.

YTM!!! :D I should have been able to find that thread... :eek:

So, I recently ran across a dealer's display 110. The bolsters were well-oxidized (not green, just "faded" if you know what I mean), but the ebony scales were really beautiful. Unfortunately, IMO anyway, it was a finger groove model. I noted the date marks and was a little puzzled. I may go back and buy it - the blade won't be anything special, and I'm pretty sure they've long since lost the sheath and box, but if I can get the price to a reasonable level it may come home with me. :D

I've been looking for years for one of those (and a matching Single-Dash) and haven't found anything.

If you don't want it, PM me the name of the dealer and I'll give him a call.

:)

Will do - any guesses on what's reasonable, assuming it has lost its sheath and case? I don't actually remember the sticker price on it. This is sort of different from Mike's pawnshop find because it's NveryOS but probably incomplete. To me, I think it's one of those cases where you either like it or you don't, and if you do, you don't worry about "overpaying" by $10 or even $20 because, in real life, that's just not a whole lot of cups of coffee or magazines at the news stand or paperback books, and the knife will give you pleasure a long time after the coffee, magazine or book have gone their way. :)

Well, a dealer makes his living at this, so dealers don't usually drop their asking price much. If you offer him 30 percent less he'll probably let it go for 10 or 15 percent less than his asking price, but that's probably the best you can expect.

I'm not a good one to tell you what's reasonable, as I'd probably grab it for $50 or $60 for a really nice Double-Dash FG if I could get it, even without the sheath, box and papers. If the dealer looks, he may have a spare old sheath laying around. Also, if you can get him to throw in any vintage box with papers you can always sell that separate and recoup some of your money on the deal. Some vintage boxes are quite valuable.

Some one else should comment on what they consider reasonable. I'm probably too much of a Buckaholic to be a good source for prices.

Without a picture, it's risky to comment on what one should expect to pay.

I'm pretty much on the same wavelength with you, BG42. :)

I swung by and bought it. We couldn't find the original case or box, but the dealer gave me a black leather snap-flap 110 case that I think is from a later period. I gave him $50 for the knife. I liked the knife, and especially liked the ebony scales, so I didn't want to quibble about $10. Fercryinoutloud, that's a cup of coffee and a magazine at a newstand. :D

It's funny. This one shows gentle aging in the display case but the edge looks really good and is exceptionally sharp by today's production knife standards, but has pretty obviously never been sharpened. I was going to clean and polish it, but on second thought I think I like its looks as it is. Here are a few very, very quick pics:

buck-3.jpg

buck-4.jpg

buck-1.jpg

buck-2.jpg

Cool.

You can probably make it look new with a little elbow grease or you can send it to Buck and they will make it look absolutely stunning.

Extra nice wood.

Congrats (I'd have paid more).

:D

Yeah, the wood was what caught my eye this morning.

On cleaning it up...dunno. I was never one of those guys who want a fake "patina" (early onset of rust and neglect, as far as I'm concerned, but....). But this one has real patina, 19 years worth (!!!).

I'm going to see how I feel about it. Unless you keep them in a case or a drawer and never use them, or unless you put a coat of lacquer on the brass, they start to tarnish pretty rapidly anyway. This one has some very nice character. :) Thanks for your encouragement. I am feeling very good about this one. :thumbup: :cool:

Great score JN. The FG's make a huge difference in the way the knife feels in hand, imho...

I have big hands, and with the FG's, it fits really nicely.

You did well. Enjoy

Thanks, funny thing...I had never even bothered to pick up a FG 110, and I have owned a 110 since 1972. :eek: I was surprised at how comfortable and natural the grip is. Fun stuff! :D :cool: :thumbup:

Polishing bolsters (depending on how much neglect you have to deal with) may take a couple leisurely half hour sessions while watching television--but after that it's just a touch-up once in a while.

Me? I love the look of gleaming brass. I have about 50 knives on display and about 30 are 110s and 112s, so I don't have to worry about my hands being idle. I can always find one that can use a little touching up. I find it soothing.

Polishing bolsters (depending on how much neglect you have to deal with) may take a couple leisurely half hour sessions while watching television--but after that it's just a touch-up once in a while.

Me? I love the look of gleaming brass. I have about 50 knives on display and about 30 are 110s and 112s, so I don't have to worry about my hands being idle. I can always find one that can use a little touching up. I find it soothing.

It is. Cleaning up an old knife is relaxing and rewarding.

That's ok, I read slow.

:D

If you let them sit for years in the leather sheath, the brass will start turning green. I clean them with Flitz and then wrap them in wax paper and put them back in the sheath. I haven't had them turn green since. They tarnish, but they don't turn green.

Thats a beauty Jnewell. I wouldnt be able to fight the urge to take some Wrights brass polish and make it new in about 3 minutes. Upto you of course.

Back