110 Lockup Failure

I love the "thwack" that 110's make when opened. The lock sounds very strong and secure. Still, I saw the lockup fail on a friend's 110 many years ago. It resulted in some cut fingers but nothing too serious. That incident was due to pocket lint. I have never seen this happen since then. I've owned serveral 110's over the years and have never had that problem. I wonder how common this is and whether any of the model changes over the years make it less likely.

I have never heard of that happening. That must have been one heck of a lump of pocket lint. :eek: Didn't he notice it sticking in there before he tried to open the knife?

I too have never heard of this happening. I mainly carried mine in it's sheath, but did in the pockets a few times. Noticed some lint but just blew it out. Never have had a lockup problem.

I don't think I would be too concerned.

That must have been one heck of a lump of pocket lint

Yep, hard to imagine.
I saw the event, but not the post mortem. I was told afterwards that lint had caused the problem

matt321 said:
Yep, hard to imagine.
I saw the event, but not the post mortem. I was told afterwards that lint had caused the problem

Only have a few 110s...but have carried one or another for years, and have never heard of that happening.
Must have been like a ball of yarn!!!

Bar Time :D :barf:
See ya all later tonight or tomorrow...
Me.
BC 1190

BTW, Mike, if your $500 is burnin' a hole in your pocket, I could use one of those Alaskan 110 units from Cabela's. Just a thought... ;)

I did unspeakable things to my 110 when I was a kid. Never had the lock fail.

I witnessed a failure like the one you refer to. The guy that it happened to had a big piece of pocket lint mixed with whatever he used to lube the knife with and liked to snap the thing open. Over time, the gunk got worked into the locking notch and caused failure when he tried to pry with it. At the time, I recall that the locking bar was actually raised on the crud (which should have given some indication...). When the crud was removed, the knife worked fine.

Back