110 spring strength

Can you do this with your 110 if you open the blade a short way , should it snap shut or is it normal .if you dont open the blade a short way to start with it doesnt fall open .

07-01-06_2313.jpg

07-01-06_2314.jpg

Thanks

Duncan

dunc5 said:
Can you do this with your 110 if you open the blade a short way...

Not with my 110...Mine are tighter than a ducks' butt...(know how tight a ducks' butt is??? Watertight! :D )...sorry; old joke... :rolleyes:

Do you mean you can bounce it like a yo-yo??? :eek:

Lemme try one of my Idaho Bucks...All 2 of mine will bounce, but the blade snaps back in when you let go...and they don't "hang" from the blade if I hold it like you are...

I dunno...looks OK to me...but what do I know??? :rolleyes:

If i hold the blade when its shut it stays shut . But if i open it a short way then hold it the handle doesnt come up to meet it and snap shut , as its the only Buck ive got didnt know if its normal .

Dunc

Here I am again...two hours later...LOL...The only 110's that I have that will do that are my 2 oldest from 68 or 69 or 70...all the others won't move or close up if I try to open them and let it hang that way...

hmm i dont have another to compare it with . its not like its really loose and gets quite stiff when its nearly open but not very strong when closed .

Dunc

ok...les see.....

old 112 mircarta handeled inverted 2 liner - bounce it and it stays open bout inch and a half
112 two dot - bounce it and it snaps back closed
nuther old 112 inverted stamp mircarta ( dang, I didnt know I got two of those) bounce it and opens a couple of inches and stays
110 three dot - bounce it and it stays open bout an inch and a half
112- Bounce it and it closes back in a heartbeat
112 two dot - closes back
112/ closes back if bounced lightly, opens to lock if you bounce it a little harder
110 three dot opens bout an inch and a half or so and stays
110 inverted two liner bounces back to close
110 three dot stays open an inch or so
110 no dot three liner bounces back to closed
110 inverted two liner - so tight it doesn't open at all
110 inverted two liner - no scale pins, intergral bolster, doesn't bounce open at all
110 custom fresh from the custom shop in sambar and bg42 - opens bout 3/4 an inch and stays
110 2004 custom w/s30v - snaps back closed
110 workman w/fresh new idaho blade from warranty shop - hangs open bout an inch
110 \ Ace Hwd mint - blade stays open bout 3/4 an inch
110 2004 ns auto green - blade snaps back shut
110 2004 ns aout red - Blade hangs open bout 3/4 an inch
3 - 110 Alaskan Guide's - Blades snap back shut
Alaskan 192... no snap back.... ooops never mind....

And I aint gonna go dig the others out of the safe to play with them.

Impressions: Well used knives will hang open. most of the time.
Lesser used knives hang open some of the time
Mint knives intermitently hang open and snap shut.

Obviously not a scientific thing I did here. Just played with these that were easy to reach, over the last half hour or so.,

Needs more research

dunc5 said:
Can you do this with your 110 if you open the blade a short way , should it snap shut or is it normal .if you dont open the blade a short way to start with it doesnt fall open .
Thanks

Duncan
Mine does the same thing.

LFH said:
Obviously not a scientific thing I did here. Just played with these that were easy to reach, over the last half hour or so.,

Needs more research
I would imagine that one could get Buck to replace the spring and the original snap would back, if that's an issue with anyone. My oldest Buck folding knife is 30 some odd years old and the snap is good enough that I have no desire to have Buck re-fit it. :)

Thanks for taking the time to check guys , I guess its fairly normal then :) as long as the blade doesnt start to open on its own then thats a good thing .

Dunc

I am like Mike, I don't consider any of mine that don't totally spring back to be a problem.

Son in law did have one that would just fall open. Sent it to Buck a month or so back and it came back yesterday.

It is just amazing what the guys at Buck do with these old knives. His was seriously used/abused by a past relative. Had the Chanpion Spark Plug logo on the four dot blade. Warranty guys polished the blade, all around the Champion logo, leaving it in its used condition. I thought that was cool. Of course it came back razor sharp.

As for the blade hanging open some, I have said before that the way I open my old 110 is to grasp it like in Dunc's photos, and snap it downward so the blade locks, and then just kind of flip it up and catch it by the handle.

So I don't mind one being a tad loose. And no, I have never been cut opening one that way. I think my smallish hands/fingers makes that opening method work for me.

Have seen and heard about others that don't have much luck opening one that way..... But I drift... sorry.....

LFH said:
nuther old 112 inverted stamp mircarta ( dang, I didnt know I got two of those)...

You should sell one to open up room in your collection for another worthy knife (my email address is in my profile)... :D ;) :rolleyes: :) :thumbup:

chickentrax said:
You should sell one to open up room in your collection for another worthy knife (my email address is in my profile)... :D ;) :rolleyes: :) :thumbup:

I do have this really bad habit of buying knives in pairs. :rolleyes: Maybe a few more meetings at knife addicts anon and I might be ready to give some up, maybe,, sorta,,,, :eek: :eek:

Back