1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

110LE Blonde Ebony???

Discussion in 'Buck Knives' started by sassafrassdogs3, Sep 11, 2019.

1. sassafrassdogs3

sassafrassdogs3 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 21, 2016
    Here's my 110LE Blonde Ebony...It should be called 50/50, I believe... I do like the fact that the handles almost match, I would have sent it back otherwise....

What do ya'll think?? What did you get, let's see your 110LE's....

IMG_1361.JPG IMG_1362.JPG

drei3ree, Luke73, TAH and 11 others like this.
  2. jbmonkey

jbmonkey Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 9, 2011
    love it. a great example, Sir.

sassafrassdogs3 and KarlG like this.
  3. Makael

Makael KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 17, 2015
    Curious why you would of sent it back?

sassafrassdogs3 likes this.
  4. sassafrassdogs3

Jul 21, 2016
    If the handles didn't match I would have...

5. Ernie1980

Ernie1980 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 19, 2012
    I love those half and half covers!

sassafrassdogs3 and KarlG like this.
  6. KarlG

KarlG Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 29, 2014
    They are all different. I liked everything about mine, the scales, the steel, the DP.. the fit and finish and went ahead and ordered a second knowing the scales would be different. I really like them both. Here is number 2,
    Buck110BlondeLimited2.jpg Buck110BlondeLimited2-2.jpg Buck110BlondeLimited2-3.jpg

Luke73, pjsjr, jmh33 and 7 others like this.
  7. Makael

Makael KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 17, 2015
    20190906_204153.jpg 20190906_204445.jpg

Luke73, bucklife301, KarlG and 8 others like this.
  8. sassafrassdogs3

Jul 21, 2016
    It does look like they did a good job matching handes on the ones I've seen....

drei3ree, Makael and jbmonkey like this.
  9. Makael

Oct 17, 2015
    Yes, they all have looked great. That all blonde one was the best I've seen.

Brhowser87 and sassafrassdogs3 like this.
  10. BuckShack

BuckShack Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 19, 2015
    One side mostly blonde with a dark streak, the other side dark with blonde highlights. The edges top and bottom have blonde in them. I like this knife a lot. The nickel silver sets it off and the drop point gives it an impressive feel and look. I'm glad I picked one up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Luke73, bucklife301, KarlG and 8 others like this.
  11. farm

farm Gold Member Platinum Member Gold Member

May 29, 2019
    A67F2B85-5DF2-47E9-956D-FF8E52BF516D.jpeg 40013D69-258D-45BC-933A-7141F26E198C.jpeg 426E5D36-B003-422A-80F4-9459AC435FF9.jpeg 78E65653-E7CC-4423-8520-B2BFBD9B53D2.jpeg I like mine ( no streaks)

drei3ree, Luke73, bucklife301 and 7 others like this.
  12. farm

farm Gold Member Platinum Member Gold Member

May 29, 2019
    KarlG and sassafrassdogs3 like this.
  13. Chilebrown

Chilebrown

Oct 4, 2017
    I received my knife yesterday and really like it. I was sold after reading about it hear on the Forum. I love the back story. I would of liked the handles to have matched but I am satisfied and plan to proudly add this to my collection. I do have a personnel gripe though. When you look at the last image please notice the gunk on the blade. This is the way I received the knife. Is it too much to ask to have a bright, shiny and clean blade delivered. Luckily it easily wiped off. I have had several other problems with the BOTM and an Ebony Auto. The customer service is top notch and will make sure you are satisfied but I am concerned about quality control and sub standard knives leaving the factory. I still love Buck knives and will probably order the next one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Luke73, bucklife301, KarlG and 3 others like this.
  14. jbmonkey

jbmonkey Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 9, 2011
    KarlG, sassafrassdogs3 and farm like this.
  15. Joe58

Joe58 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Not to disparage your knife in any way, as I think it’s a nice one. I’m just trying to get better educated. From what I understand, the “best ebony” is that which is completely jet black with no blond streaks. Is that true?

Again, no insult intended whatsoever towards your knife. I’m just trying to get a viewpoint solely from the custom maker side of things is all.

Personally, I like it to show some grain. Looks nicer to me than strictly flat black.

KarlG likes this.
  16. pjsjr

pjsjr Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Traditional thinking is that you are correct 'completely jet black'. Now being more environmentally conscientious is using the entire tree, no matter what the color is.

KarlG, sassafrassdogs3 and Joe58 like this.
  17. BuckShack

BuckShack Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 19, 2015
    My Blonde was very dirty too ;)

Chilebrown likes this.
  18. Joe58

Joe58 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Yup, I’d agree. Waste not, want not. No idea how long it takes an ebony tree to mature, but I’m guessing it’s not quick.

19. Der Verminator

Der Verminator Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 23, 2019
    No.

That was just the most popular at one time and the people who harvested it chose it and discarded anything with a lighter shade showing.

What's most popular now?

Sounds like blond is having more fun now.

It's all ebony and it's all the best.

And we are blessed.

Lesknife and Old Biker like this.
  20. KarlG

KarlG Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 29, 2014
    pjsir is correct, This is seen in the price of lumbar between select or premium and grade 1, 2 or lower which have streaks of lighter color,

Here is a pretty simple overview:https://www.lmii.com/blog/2017/10/07/wood-grading/

sassafrassdogs3, pjsjr and jbmonkey like this.