112 Ranger data sheet

New aquistion this week. This knife to me has never been used or sharpened, it's flawless not a blemish on it.
Category III, Stamped BUCK, *112*, U.S.A. 1974 to 1980.
According to papers born on date 04-1977

I don't know? the bolster's look a little rounded to me? yet it says 1977 for date born. But it could be my eyes playing games with me.....

Important note: The 112 does not appear to follow the same pattern as its big brother, the 110, as it pertains to the dot blade markings. For instance, the first time we see rounded edges on the 110 handle is on a 4 dot version. The first time we see it on the 112 is on a 3 dot version. An explanation for this is that there was probably quite a few 112’s made up with the 3 dot stamp and it took a while to use them all up. This is the best theory we have right now on that.

Version 4. brass inlay rivets are now approximately 1/8” in diameter.
According to papers born on date 04-1977

Mule, the 112 does not follow the same pattern as the 110. The 112 was radiused earlier than the 110 and I doubt your story is why we see this. (112 radiused before the 110)
I recall Buck's marketing dept. tried different things on the 112 to increase sales and this radius is an attempt to increase sales of this model. DM

Hi Everyone,

Maybe you can help me figure something out. I don't know much about the 112 series but I would like to know more. Here is what little I know about the 112....

My first Buck knife was a 112. It had black micarta scales with three rivets, two brass, one silver. It also had an odd grind on the blade. It appeared to be hollow ground but was slightly thicker right behind the edge. It was stolen from me in the 1980's. I miss that knife more than any other that has passed through my hands.

My second 112 has a standard hollow grind to the blade. Wood scales held in place by four rivets instead of three. There are, IIRC, three small dots next to the model number stamped on the blade. I don't carry it much because it makes me think about my first Buck.

Both knives came with a black leather sheath. It is my understanding that the 112 was never made with black micarta scales but I know better. I have owned one. Can anyone tell my something about my first knife? Was it something special?

I have been considering custom scales for the knife I have now. Would Buck's Custom shop do something like this or do I have to find an outsider to do the job?

You found the right thread, but did you look at the data sheet on the very first post? (I'm not being a smart a$$, I know not everyone has MS word.)

It looks like black Micarta was the offering in '72 only. The blade grind looks different because they were indeed made differently back then. The old steel was 440C which is more "satin" than the new "satin" 420HC blades. The 440C was more robust as well.

As far as having a new knife done with black Micarta, it's really an easy DIY if you aren't intimidated by taking the old scales off. You can simply buzz the heads off of the pins, rocker pin included, pop the wood scales off, use them as a template to shape your new Micarta and glue them back on. You will have to peen the pivot pin, or replace it with new. If you want the handle pins and rocker pin visible, it's more complicated, but can be done. There are several posts showing this done on 110s.

If you watch the auction sites; early Micarta 112s do come up now and then. Don't be afraid to pick up a rough one so long as the blade is full. For a very reasonable fee, you can send it to Buck and they'll make it close to new again.

By the way... if you do it yourself, or have someone else do it for you, it will void the factory warranty. All the more reason to find a used one!

Good luck!

saber check out the data sheet above you'll see three different versions with micarta scales.

you can often find one of these for sale fropm a private seller .enjoy the hunt.

If you watch the auction sites; early Micarta 112s do come up now and then.

sabre,

I'll bet if you went to the big auction site right now and searched for "Buck 112 Micarta", you might find three for sale. ;) They can be a little pricey, but you know you won't be happy until you have an original just like your first knife. Life is short. Go buy one and enjoy it! :)

sabe, the early Buck models had semi-hollow ground blades. Thus the thick portion behind the edge. This changed in 1981 with the 3 dots. Those have a fuller hollow ground blade. DM

my question is a bit sticky I got a 112 with the designation (112/) and lasered on handle/scales "Prentice - Hydro Ax" two lines
but the tip of the blade is broken and was "re-contoured" - should I just keep it retired or have the shop re-blade it ? any thoughts would be appreciated.
Revvie

That blade is a 1993 stamp and the steel is 425M. A good steel. If they did a good job on working the tip I would keep it and use it. Otherwise send it to Buck and have them install a new blade. Which will be of 420HC steel. Good luck, DM

thank you Br. Martin - the contour job is not good so I think It will get sent in to Post Falls for the blade along with an older 301 which is sharpened (?) like a toothpick
Revvie

Back