112 Ranger Slim Pro Review?

Hey guys -

I am considering getting one of the 113 slim rangers with the pocket clip and I’m wondering if anyone has one and have been happy with how it carries. I would think the slim build might carry pocket clipped nicely and be fairly lightweight, as compared to the standard 112. For me, I think a 110 pocket clipped would be too large. A 112 is plenty knife for my mundane EDC.

Just looking for input before I pop for that much cash. I’ve been kinda watching for a used one to crop up, but haven’t noticed any, so maybe that a good sign. Folks are happy with them.

Did a forum search but only seen a few comments on the 110 slim.

Thanks! :)

*This is the one I’ve my eye on from C&C. It appears the scales can be removed and the pivot is adjustable?

Picture from the C&C website. If this is against forum rules, posting the pic, mod please delete.

BC1818B1-AF25-46A1-B9A0-A875A7E0B220.jpeg

Last edited:
I have one in the brown micarta. Very light, well built knife. Carries great in my pocket. Here's a few of my 112's.

d6Imm41.jpg

Glad you posted this. Initially I wasn't to interested in these. But yesterday while the missus was shopping I wondered into a local sporting goods store and they had the micarta version for sale for a decent price. I didn't by it but I'm seriously considering it.

I do love my 112 Slims and usually have one on my person, even though I usually have my workhorse 112 Ranger Pro on my belt.

During the months that I'm wearing a jacket I'll almost always have a 112 Slim Select with the clip removed in my left breast pocket. Very light and slim and easy to access/deploy with one hand. During the warmer months I now carry a Slim Pro with brown Micarta or my newest Slim Pro Plus clipped into the right pants/shorts pocket. Yes, they are very light and VERY sharp.

Also, yes the 110 Slim Pro is larger but not that much and I'll sometimes clip that in the pocket if I feel that I might need a longer blade.

You won't regret the purchase. :)

Is the marble carbon fiber the only one with torx fittings? Your brown micarta looks pinned maybe? Or the screw heads are on the opposite side?

It’d be nice to lift the scales for cleaning in case it ends up in a mud puddle or something. And I like the ability to adjust the pivot if possible to suit me.

I do wish Buck would go to a more typically styled pocket clip though. It always looks like an afterthought to my eye. But that’s me. ;)

I’ll need to buy one I guess. Like I need another knife. Lol.

Thanks for posting the pics!

Is the marble carbon fiber the only one with torx fittings? Your brown micarta looks pinned maybe? Or the screw heads are on the opposite side?

It’d be nice to lift the scales for cleaning in case it ends up in a mud puddle or something. And I like the ability to adjust the pivot if possible to suit me.

I do wish Buck would go to a more typically styled pocket clip though. It always looks like an afterthought to my eye. But that’s me. ;)

I’ll need to buy one I guess. Like I need another knife. Lol.

Thanks for posting the pics!

The micarta ones are pinned, also I have heard that a few other brands pocket clips will fit the slim pros if you care to change them out.

Both the 112 and 110 slim pro are very pocket friendly. I used my 110 slim a lot and I didn’t notice it there. For me it was nice to have the extra blade length. Also they are very sturdy built and can handle tough work but the slim handle that makes it pocket nice can be uncomfortable if you have to bare down or do a lot of cutting. The 112 slim is just as tough and a lot of people find the 3 inch blade to be sufficient for their needs. As for the pocket clips I’ve liked them very well.

I have basically the 110 version of 112 the OP is talking of in the opening post...... (CF scales w/ s35v)
For the money I prefer my micarta and g-10 scaled knives.
I just prefer the feel of the micarta, s30v is a great blade steel, and it's less money.
For a user I'd go with that easily.
...but that's my $ .02. but heck I don't even take my own coin change anymore.....
so you know what that's worth:poop:

Hi!

I figured you guys would end up costing me money. Seems to happen on the forums I’ve noticed.

My 112 came in today. Marble CF, S30V blade.

I had to remove the pocket clip and bend it in as it stood perhaps 1/8” off the knife. No biggee but whoever QC’ed the knife could have got that a bit better. But easy fix. The pivot was really cranked down too. Would barely open. I loosened it up a tish but left it a bit tight figuring it’ll loosen up with use.

I’m curious though if anyone knows whether these have bronze or teflon washers? I sure don’t see anything in there. I’d be a bit surprised if Buck just has the blade riding on the CF scales. That could be something I might add. Probably make the opening a bit smoother as well. Dunno. Other knives that run over $100 that I’ve purchased tend to employ washers or bearings.

32166D4E-895C-4E5A-A809-8FA940ABEF8C.jpeg 4B315867-3BBE-41F1-ACAC-02DE976CDAC8.jpeg

Hi!

I figured you guys would end up costing me money. Seems to happen on the forums I’ve noticed.

My 112 came in today. Marble CF, S30V blade.

I had to remove the pocket clip and bend it in as it stood perhaps 1/8” off the knife. No biggee but whoever QC’ed the knife could have got that a bit better. But easy fix. The pivot was really cranked down too. Would barely open. I loosened it up a tish but left it a bit tight figuring it’ll loosen up with use.

I’m curious though if anyone knows whether these have bronze or teflon washers? I sure don’t see anything in there. I’d be a bit surprised if Buck just has the blade riding on the CF scales. That could be something I might add. Probably make the opening a bit smoother as well. Dunno. Other knives that run over $100 that I’ve purchased tend to employ washers or bearings.

View attachment 1441174 View attachment 1441175
Looks like they changed the pocket clip design. The ones I got had the deep carry with an oval shape hole for access to the screws. Like the ones stevecolt has pictured above.

Looks like they changed the pocket clip design. The ones I got had the deep carry with an oval shape hole for access to the screws. Like the ones stevecolt has pictured above.

I assume those pocket clips are only for this specific run, the rest of the slim pro have the normal clip. Also as for whether they have washers, I believe the micarta ones don't, but I'm not sure about these ones considering they are torx construction.

I consider the Slim Pro plus in S35VN to be the best user 112..I was and still am impressed with S35VN for it's edge holding ability and the one I got from Buck was the sharpest knife of any kind I have ever owned.

This one did arrive just all kinds of sharp. I was a bit surprised actually that I didn’t cut myself. Which is usually the case.

I wonder why on this one they used S30V, rather than S35V lime on the micarta one. Just checking C&C’s site, the micarta seems to be the only slim pro using that steel. I honestly can’t tell the difference, but I’m not a real hard user.

Has anyone been able to confirm if the 112 Pro in Carbon Fiber uses washers, and if so, what they’re made of?

Has anyone been able to confirm if the 112 Pro in Carbon Fiber uses washers, and if so, what they’re made of?

Just today I decided to go ahead and see what’s in there. You can see that brass(?) bushing that the pivot screw passes through, and that’s it. No washers. I initially thought perhaps that bushing might sit just a hair above the blade to act as a bit of a washer, but no, it’s pretty much level with the tang.

So I decided to install a couple bronze washers I have here in my parts bins. I used some lithium grease on them to help hold them onto the tang while I reassembled. I only removed the pivot screw, and just loosened the backspring screw there in the middle. It only took me a few minutes.

It did end up creating a bit of a gap there that you can see, but it seems pretty negligible. Might bother some folks I suppose. It did make the opening and closing feel much smoother. I’m only able to detect the usual feel you get when the tang rubs on the backspring, which isn’t bad and will likely wear smoother.

So I don’t know if the washers were a necessity. But I’m ok with adding them. And the little gap created from the extra thickness doesn’t bother me. I think I’d rather have that, than have the tang wearing on the scales.

572B97EB-829B-47A6-9B9D-4B94B6811C60.jpeg EEBE5FF8-46FD-4FD4-AF30-773B941C9F4B.jpeg 5C36A054-3231-44ED-814A-811AF6F34A74.jpeg

Wear might not be too much of an issue in that area as it's not an overly repetitive motion, and obviously it's low speed and not building up any heat from the friction. Simply keeping the pivot clean and lubricated might be enough and the washers might not be necessary.
But, regarding the use of the washers. Did you only add them at the blade pivot? If so, did that "splay" the scales out at the blade pivot end, compared to the rest of the length of the knife/scales? In other words, are the scales now not parallel to each other the entire length of the knife ..... if it even really matters.

Either way, if you keep posting pictures of that Buck my wallet may not be all that happy with you. ;)

Back