• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

12" integral chef in 52100.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a forged integral 12" chef knife in 52100 steel, with a stabilized lignum vitae handle.

The blade is 11-3/4" long, and the overall length is 17-5/8". Hand sanded to 600 grit.

It's fully flat ground with very subtle convexity toward the edge to aid in food release. Your mileage may vary, I have a hard time with any knife I own (including thin VG10 with grantons) chopping zucchini without slices sticking to the blade. I have done a fair amount of test chopping with this knife, it does great on tomatoes, onion, zukes, olives for thin slices and dicing with a pinch grip. It also excels at reducing paper into thin ribbons, if you like to eat that sort of stuff.

Edge curve is mild throughout, a long almost flat section from heel to midpoint, with increasing curve to the tip.

The edge was .010" before sharpening, and the max spine thickness is .100 at the bolster, with long distal taper. Handle style is narrow and straight, with a rounded rectangular cross section to aid in control. The corners of the spine are softened all the way down the tip to give comfort while contacting the spine in tasks like splitting, or pinch grip cutting. The overall piece is lightweight for it's size. It balances about 2" in front of the bolster.

I built this knife to be an affordable handmade user.

Asking price is $250, including insured shipping to any state in the US. Price includes shipping to 50 states. I will ship around the world; I just ask that in this case the buyer pay the added shipping costs.

IMG_9013.JPG

IMG_9014.JPG

IMG_9015.JPG

IMG_9016.JPG

IMG_9017.JPG

IMG_9018.JPG

IMG_9019.JPG

IMG_9020.JPG

IMG_9021.JPG

IMG_9022.JPG

IMG_9023.JPG

IMG_9025.JPG

IMG_9026.JPG

IMG_9024.JPG

I make knives to the best of my ability and knowledge. I research to find the best materials and methods to use, in order to provide the very best product, in terms of value, durability, performance, and aesthetics. Should you find a knife you have bought from me to be lacking in any of these respects, you may ship it back to me at my expense for a full money-back return.

Should a knife purchased from me fail in materials or workmanship, please ship it back to me at my own expense for your money back in full, or repairs at no cost. It’s your choice.
I will sharpen any of my knives at no cost; however I do ask that you pay for shipping costs for this service.

I am always pleased to hear from any of my customers, past, repeat, potential, or otherwise. Please go to my web site, see "Contact Me" and give me a call. If you have any questions regarding these policies, I'd like to hear them.

Also, if this knife or any other I have made that you have seen looks close to something you would like, or if you would like to talk about an entirely different knife design altogether, please contact me, I do custom orders as well and always enjoy talking about knife designs, whether or not we actually end up doing business.

Salem Straub

Salem,

Excellent job. You are making me want to cook just to use your knife to slice with.

Great job and I just read through your website. Very interesting Sir! I will look out for a camp style knife from you from now on. I really like the idea of the full quench and soft back draw that you explain on the web.

Great looking Chef's Knife Salem.. If I wans't already in the que for another skinner/utility I'd take this one too :(

Thanks, guys. Fishnfst, I hand sanded out your skinner blades today. Tomorrow it's getting glued up.

I have to comment again in this thread. I noticed that you are one of only a few knifemakers that give us "users" info about the edge thickness before sharpening for instance. I really appreciate that!

Thanks awestib, I try to take clear pics and describe the knife as well as possible. I find the details such as edge thickness to be the most important details to note for a using knife. Good of you to notice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back