12 year old SOGzilla Folder

I thought I'd post this for all the SOG fans here.

BACKSTORY: About 12 years ago give or take (my memory is really compressed as to what year exactly) I gave all the men on my close family (brother, 4 brothers-in-law, father-in-law) a SOGzilla folder for Christmas. The place I bought them from has been out of business about 10 years, and I am pretty sure the SOGzilla had just recently came out, so I am putting it at approximately 2010(?). I wanted to give Spydercos, but these were way more affordable (especially given that the place I bought them was a wholesaler that did do over-the-counter sales to local folks). I'm thinking I paid about $40 (or maybe a smidgen under) for each for them. NONE of the recipients were "knife guys" like we would be...just men in different fields that might carry a knife, clipped or concealed/deep pocket. Over the months and years that immediately followed, most all of the recipients of these SOG folders would tell me they really liked them and were still using them. Over the years however, I heard this from them less, except for one brother-in-law, who owns/runs a small commercial greenhouse/plant business near Athens, GA. He and his spouse also own and run an antique/vintage booth at a local antique mall, but the greenhouse/plant sales business is their main priority and income. He was the only one that-about once a year-he would remark to me that he was "still carrying that knife you gave me". This past Christmas, he had it out opening a box, and I asked to see it. I decided to take a picture, which I'm embarassed to say isn't as sharp as I'd have liked, but there is the knife, which he tells me he uses several times a day, five days a week (and for the past 12 years.) He said at least 50% or more of the time, it's just to cut plastic shrink wrap, but also boxes, string, rubber or plastic tubing, etc. The condition of the edge shows he hasn't used it for hard use or abuse.

We all like cool, higher end knives, but this is the epitome of a TRUE EDC knife:

Attachments

• 2F1A2873.JPG
    2F1A2873.JPG
    396.7 KB · Views: 8
Nice story and appreciate the knife pic. Yep $40 sure doesn't sound like a lot today and look at how many years of service. Been a Sog fan for a while now packing the older and newer Trident AT version. Right now ready to pull the trigger on the new FX fixed blade Trident but hoping to see a review. Thanks again.

Back